tough mudder question

Options

Replies

• AlphaCajun
    AlphaCajun Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I don't know because NOLA will be my first as well, see ya there!
  • Pam_Shebamm
    Pam_Shebamm Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I signed up for TM last November with approx. 6 weeks to train.

The only runs I ever did were 5K. I was fine for the running part. I know everyone is telling you to run more, and it will help, but the obstacles break up a lot of the running.

Doing mine, I realized my upper body strength is crap. Funky Monkey was a swimming obstacle for me.

You have almost a year to train so I'm sure when the day comes, you will be fine. Also, when you do need help, just look for a strong-looking guy to help give you a lift over the walls (or whatever obstacle you're having trouble with). Everyone is really helpful.

Most of all, good luck and have fun!
  • caitlinrn83
    caitlinrn83 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    AlphaCajun wrote: »

we're going to own it!
    You have almost a year to train so I'm sure when the day comes, you will be fine. Also, when you do need help, just look for a strong-looking guy to help give you a lift over the walls (or whatever obstacle you're having trouble with). Everyone is really helpful.

Hey @AlphaCajun help me over the wall! :smile:

• Noelani1503
    Noelani1503 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Great thread! I just started preparing for this. I want to do some easier OCRs before attempting a Spartan. I guess I need to work on hills and burpees. And play on the monkey bars lol. Thanks Caitlin!
  • AlphaCajun
    Options

we're going to own it!

Hey @AlphaCajun help me over the wall! :smile:

For sure! I'll be there to lend a helping hand!
  • ChxSurf782
    ChxSurf782 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    You're doing something right if your cardio is to a point where the running is truly your recovery period. If you're recovering during the obstacles - IMO - you're doing it wrong.

You've got time to work on upper body. Pushups, flexed-arm hangs or pullups, monkey bars, etc.
  • jpena412
    jpena412 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    mhealea wrote: »
    With a tough Mudder your mileage should be fine. The most you run between obstacles is a mile. Upper body strength is good thing to have and good team mates. There are obstacles that you will need help with but there is plenty of people that help out.

Agree with this comment. You're fine with mileage, just continue to do that on a regular basis until your TM day. You won't be running more than that amount at one time, mostly a mile in between obstacles, and you can even walk some of the time. I know the one I'm doing in a month is on a mountain and have gotten the advice from folks that have done it at this location in the past that it's more important to build your endurance (think squats to build up leg muscles) over being able to run really long distances.

Good luck! I'm gearing up for mine and a total mix of excitement/ nerves!
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Esjones12 is a MFP member, and she runs a really cool blog about OCRs: http://www.pushinglimitsocr.com. She did a post about getting ready for your first OCR: http://www.pushinglimitsocr.com/home/what-to-bring-and-expect-at-your-first-ocr
  • caitlinrn83
    Options
    @AliceDark , thank you!

@jpena412 good luck!! I'm doing a "midpoint check" with a short OCR in Sept, and I'm nervous about that one! Let me know how yours goes!
  • jpena412
    jpena412 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thank you! This is actually my first TM, but I'm doing it with my husband, dad, and cousin who are all on their 3rd one... I figure if my 61 yr old father can get through it there is no excuse why I can't! Good luck with your midpoint check!
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    TM is a fun OCR, there's no penalty for missing an obstacle and people help each other out. You could literally just walk the course and skip obstacles as required. There's also waiting time for obstacles so you get some recovery time between runs. Upper body strength is very helpful, as is grip strength. I would add in exercises like push ups, pull ups (or dead hangs), farmers carries etc. If you take your kids to the playground, have a go at the monkey bars!

One of the TM I did was with someone that was completely untrained. She walked the obstacles and that was completely miserable because given the time it took her to complete (6+ hrs) and unpreparedness she was extremely cold and injured.

THIS is why I don't advise doing a Tough Mudder or comparable OCR with little or no training. Sure, you can probably complete the distance if you have enough tenacity, but it probably won't be a pleasant experience. Moreover, there is a significant potential for injury. Beginning runners are advised not to take on too much mileage at first, and the same principle applies to any strenuous exercise.

Not to mention that certain events, such as Tough Mudder, emphasize the toughness as part of their brand identity. When newbies talk about completing these events without any training, I feel that it takes away from the reputation and brand identity of these events. I know that some would disagree, but I feel that it's best to honor the spirit of these events rather than walking most of the way and skipping obstacles left and right.
  • spartan_d
    Options
    ganzelly wrote: »
    I did my first mudder last October and am signed up for another in September. I was able to run 6 miles but wasn't prepared for the hills, running on grass (all my running was on roads) and running on sides of hills. Don't just run treadmills or roads, get some trail running. My hips and ankles were so sore I could barely walk for days.

Agreed. This is why I disagree with those who say that your current mileage is fine. If you want to avoid cramps, muscle pains, and a lot of suffering in general, it would be best to increase your mileage beforehand -- especially if you're not yet used to trail or hill running.
  • AlphaCajun
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »
    I did my first mudder last October and am signed up for another in September. I was able to run 6 miles but wasn't prepared for the hills, running on grass (all my running was on roads) and running on sides of hills. Don't just run treadmills or roads, get some trail running. My hips and ankles were so sore I could barely walk for days.

Agreed. This is why I disagree with those who say that your current mileage is fine. If you want to avoid cramps, muscle pains, and a lot of suffering in general, it would be best to increase your mileage beforehand -- especially if you're not yet used to trail or hill running.

While i can understand this, OP is talking about a TM in New Orleans.. there are no hills. lol
  • spartan_d
    Options
    TM is a fun OCR, there's no penalty for missing an obstacle and people help each other out. You could literally just walk the course and skip obstacles as required. There's also waiting time for obstacles so you get some recovery time between runs. Upper body strength is very helpful, as is grip strength. I would add in exercises like push ups, pull ups (or dead hangs), farmers carries etc. If you take your kids to the playground, have a go at the monkey bars!

One of the TM I did was with someone that was completely untrained. She walked the obstacles and that was completely miserable because given the time it took her to complete (6+ hrs) and unpreparedness she was extremely cold and injured.

THIS is why I don't advise doing a Tough Mudder or comparable OCR with little or no training. Sure, you can probably complete the distance if you have enough tenacity, but it probably won't be a pleasant experience. Moreover, there is a significant potential for injury. Beginning runners are advised not to take on too much mileage at first, and the same principle applies to any strenuous exercise.

Not to mention that certain events, such as Tough Mudder, emphasize the toughness as part of their brand identity. When newbies talk about completing these events without any training, I feel that it takes away from the reputation and brand identity of these events. I know that some would disagree, but I feel that it's best to honor the spirit of these events rather than walking most of the way and skipping obstacles left and right.

Not to mention the cost--TM is incredibly pricey for something that you'd only do about half of. Now I'm not saying that's what the OP is doing, she's training and trying to get there, but people talking about training like it's no big deal have me scratching their heads. I wonder if it's the same people telling fitness novices to go ahead and do insanity rather than starting with something more in keeping with their fitness level. Either the novices are skipping half of it, (in which case what's the point) or they're going to hurt themselves.

Excellent point. Thank you for voicing that. And yes, I have known out-of-shape newbies to tear their hamstrings or otherwise injure themselves at these things.

Several months ago, I voiced the opinion here that people shouldn't jump into a Tough Mudder or a Spartan Race without adequate training first. It's a bit irksome to see some people brag about doing these events with little or no preparation.

Some people took offense at that saying, "Who cares? As long as they do it with a great attitude, that's what matters." Can we really say that someone has a "great attitude" if they blow off the training and just jump into the event, though? I certainly wouldn't. Having a great attitude means preparing for the race well, not just going through the motions.

• spartan_d
    Options

While i can understand this, OP is talking about a TM in New Orleans.. there are no hills. lol
    Okay, good point. Still, running in mud can be a lot more taxing than most people realize.
  • Pam_Shebamm
    Pam_Shebamm Posts: 167 Member
    Options

This helped me for mine too...the Jersey course was flat. I'm doing Mt Snow next month though, that one may be a bit of a challenge.
  • caitlinrn83
    Options
    I work in ortho and have seen too many people injured from jumping into something with no preparation and ending up with debilitating injuries. I see it with runners, crossfit, cycling, weight lifting...you name it, I've seen the damage from it. Hence why I'm training now for something in 2017.

For those that voice concern (@spartan_d, I'm looking at you in particular), how to you suggest someone prepare for any OCR, whether it be TM, one of the Spartans, regional races, etc? Training for the running aspect and building strength and working on agility--am I missing something?
  • caitlinrn83
    Options
    And yes, NOLA is flat. Flatter than flat. Lol.
    But I don't discount mud!
  • CrossfitOCRunner
    CrossfitOCRunner Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Youll be FINE! go out there and have fun. TM is a challenge and not a race. the obstacles are more about fun and fear factor than difficulty. You'll do great especially if you are doing it with friends. your running base is fine. depending on the terrain, you wont be running the whole time and stopping for obstacles. be clear about the weather that day, water stops and carrying gels/fuel. it is generally 10 miles and the time on the course is longer than say, a road race. so have some fuel and water if you need it.
  • spartan_d
    Options
    Thanks for asking, Caitlin, and thanks for the points that you raised. Obviously, I agree. You have to prepare well. Don't just jump into something like this on short notice.

For a Warrior Dash, just make sure you can run a couple of miles. That race takes almost no effort.

For a TM or Spartan Race, I recommend a good amount of running, preferably on trails. Also do general leg strengthening, since the mud will most likely tax your various stabilizer muscles in ways you might not expect.

Grip strengthening is also important. Work on pull-ups, and if possible, monkey bars. For a Spartan Race, I recommend working in other grip exercises too, not to mention rope climbing.

Work on jumping and sprinting ability. You'll need it, especially at a Spartan Race, BattleFrog, etc.

General core strength helps. Also get used to carrying heavy objects for a Spartan or BattleFrog.