I need help

I have always tried to lose weight but never forced my self to really find time for any strength building exercises...walking was never a problem and I will hop on a bike, treadmill or in a pool at any time no problem. My problem now comes in with fitting in strength building workouts as well. I don't know where to start and any time I look online for ideas it seem to throw me because everything I read seems to be for some one who already knows what they are doing. Does anyone have any suggestions for beginner strength building work outs? I would greatly appreciate it. Also I have no equipment and a small budget so if any one knows of any household objects to replace weights or anything like that it would help as well. Thank you and best of luck on your own journey.

Replies

• singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    I would keep it simple and start with bodyweight workouts. You would be surprised what you can accomplish here, and you can do it at home with no gear. I am a big fan of Athlean Xero but you have to buy it (worth it for me). There are a ton of bodyweight workouts all over YouTube.

Eventually as you get stronger you will probably explore working with weights.

Good luck!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    You can throw in 15 min of bodyweight before or after your walk or bike ride, even if means you need to shorten that by a few minutes.
    Look at Goodwill or other thrift store for light dumbbells, and occasionally heavier ones, as well as other equipment. It might be hit or miss, so check back often!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    I like Bret Contreras's suggestions from this interview.
    STEVE: Thanks for your thoughts on the subject and I have one spin-off question. I’m not sure if you have experience working with obese folks, but if you do (and even if you don’t), how would your exercise recommendations change in the resistance training department?

BRET: I’m very glad you asked this question, as I have tons of experience working with obese folks and I’m very passionate about the topic. In fact, I have 2 different clients who lost over 100 pounds! Here are some things I’ve noticed.

1. This goes without saying, but nutritional counseling is paramount with this population.

2. Bodyweight lower body exercises are perfect with this population up front – you can start with high box squats, glute bridges, 45 degree back extensions, and low step ups, progress to low box squats, shoulder and feet elevated hip thrusts, and medium height step ups, and then eventually add load and begin doing more advanced exercises such as dynamic lunges. Rack pulls and trap bar deadlifts can be performed right off the bat as well. It takes considerable time for this population to be strong and stable enough to perform advanced exercises like Bulgarian split squats, single leg hip thrusts, and single leg RDL’s due to the extreme stability requirements at the hip joint in particular as the hip moves into flexion. Sled pushing is a good idea for obese individuals as well.

3. As for upper body exercises, dumbbells and barbells can be used for pressing and rowing, and bands can be used for assistance with chin up variations. The strong bands from Elitefts come in handy for this purpose.

4. Core exercises should include planks, short-lever side planks, and Pallof presses.

5. There’s absolutely no need do plyometrics or explosive work with this population as the risks outweigh the benefits. Wait until their bodyweight drops sufficiently to start prescribing plyos, ballistics, and explosive work. Even jump roping or short sprint work is too much for obese folks.

6. The strength training workout they do is a form of high-intensity interval training. If you weigh 300 lbs and you perform 20 box squats, your heart rate will be through the roof. I like alternating between sets of lower body and upper body exercises with this group as it allows them more rest while keeping the heart rate elevated. If they come 3 times per week to train with you, they’re doing 3 HIIT sessions per week. Just have them do low-intensity cardio as homework on off-days and always encourage them to stick to the diet. Having them purchase a kettlebell and doing circuits as “homework” is a good idea as well.

7. Don’t spend time with foam rolling, mobility and activation work, and static stretching with this population. If you have them for an hour, spend the entire hour on building strength in the medium rep ranges, which will simultaneously build power, flexibility, and conditioning (at least initially it will).
  • Blshumway2010
    Blshumway2010 Posts: 131 Member
    Thank you both...I had not thought of Goodwill as the nearest one is about 60 miles or so from me...but I will have to check out the second hand stores here in town.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    edited May 2016
    Her are the 2 programmes I like. They are simple and effective.
    With either of them follow at your pace and ability working toward being able to complete the programme, not expecting to be able to complete it initially.
    Break them down to manageable sections, can't do a push-up on the floor do it against the wall, can't squat- practice sitting to a low chair and standing back up just as you touch.

Cheers, h.

https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U0bhE67HuDY

PS. I am not big on the 30 day shred type programmes though they can be quite effective, I prefer the straight forward no fuss routines. h.