Struggling with cravings

Options
Even when I am full after a meal I am getting to the point where I am going mad for chocolate or something sweet! I eat well and stick to my meal plans within my calories during the day, The only sugar I usually eat all day is a banana for breakfast.
Then after my evening meal I blow it all and end up over my calories- today on a Cream egg! This is becoming a regular occurrence this last couple of weeks. Feeling guilty and disappointed in myself now :(

Replies

• chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating? There's nothing wrong with fitting a little bit of chocolate into your day, and if you're eating 1200 or lower you probably can raise your calorie limit to fit something sweet in.
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Even when I am full after a meal I am getting to the point where I am going mad for chocolate or something sweet! I eat well and stick to my meal plans within my calories during the day, The only sugar I usually eat all day is a banana for breakfast.
    Then after my evening meal I blow it all and end up over my calories- today on a Cream egg! This is becoming a regular occurrence this last couple of weeks. Feeling guilty and disappointed in myself now :(

Had the same problem, replaced it with fruit, never got a craving again.
  • xjessicaxrx
    xjessicaxrx Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I stick to 1300kcal per day, im only short- 5ft 4 and been doing this for around 8 months now, i have lost nearly 3 stone so far, i have another stone to lose but really not feeling it lately!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I stick to 1300kcal per day, im only short- 5ft 4 and been doing this for around 8 months now, i have lost nearly 3 stone so far, i have another stone to lose but really not feeling it lately!

are you eating exercise calories back?

How much are you losing a week?

Is that an accurate number? based on using a food scale and logging accurately and consistently.
  • xjessicaxrx
    Options
    My main concern is that I am doing it when I am not even hungry, after iv just finished a good sized meal? When I am actually hungry chocolate is the last thing I want... Am I just weird? Haha
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and eat 1400-1500 a day, with 2 days a week at maintenance because I like food. I lose 0.5 lb/week. You don't have much left to lose now, and you've been doing this a long time. Maybe do a diet break for 2 weeks and eat at maintenance, then jump back in with a higher calorie goal. You'll probably find it more sustainable.

If you don't want to take a break, I'd still suggest raising your goal 100-200 calories, or at least allowing yourself to eat around 1400 a few days a week.
  • zugunruhey
    zugunruhey Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    There's no reason you can't have chocolate and lose weight too. You just have to budget it into your calorie goals. Something like a serving of dark chocolate covered fruits or nuts is a great way to eat chocolate in a healthy way. If you're not into dark chocolate check out the chocolate rice cakes that Quaker makes, I was really into those for a while.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    My main concern is that I am doing it when I am not even hungry, after iv just finished a good sized meal? When I am actually hungry chocolate is the last thing I want... Am I just weird? Haha

just say no to yourself then...you are an adult and we can say no...

you either want to stay in goal and lose weight or you don't.

this can become a more regular thing and the weight loss stops...then you gain.

Your choice.
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    robs_ready wrote: »

fruit can put you over goals as quick as chocolate can.

Yes it can, 1 apple is about 60 calories, contains fibre which feels you up, and is sweet.

Food density is far more important than empty calories for weight loss.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    How much does chocolate or that cream egg put you over each day? Can you go a bit less on the "large" meal and save the calories for the cream egg?

Or prelog the chocolate or cream egg first thing every day in your diary.. Then spread out the rest of the calories during the day accordingly.

edited to add: if you prelog it, you may not want it later, you may see this sitting out there on the diary and replace it with something else or choose something different like fruit or ice cream. IIt may be just a mental thing you need to work with since it is not hungry related. Only you know what is behind this need to just grab the chocolate.
  • xjessicaxrx
    Options

are you eating exercise calories back?

How much are you losing a week?

Is that an accurate number? based on using a food scale and logging accurately and consistently.

No I dont touch my excercise calories usually, I have been losing from 0.5 - 1lb a week usually but this is a new thing, the last few weeks.

And yes I weigh everything that enters my mouth, scan all barcodes or input the details myself.

My current weight is 154lb so still overweigh, I still have a good amount to lose.
  • AvrilC1971
    AvrilC1971 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Buy a Lindt 70% dark cocoa bar and put it in the freezer. Allow yourself a square and let it melt in your mouth. If you don't listen to your cravings every once and a while you have a higher chance of having a huge binge... Don't be so hard on yourself.
    One square is 63 calories.
  • xjessicaxrx
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and eat 1400-1500 a day, with 2 days a week at maintenance because I like food. I lose 0.5 lb/week. You don't have much left to lose now, and you've been doing this a long time. Maybe do a diet break for 2 weeks and eat at maintenance, then jump back in with a higher calorie goal. You'll probably find it more sustainable.

If you don't want to take a break, I'd still suggest raising your goal 100-200 calories, or at least allowing yourself to eat around 1400 a few days a week.

I do allow myself a little more at weekends, i think id go insane if I didnt! Even then I prefer to use it wisely on good food rather than chocolate though lol.
    I suppose the scales will tell the truth if I havent lost anything this week I will know why!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I put sweet and fiber after my dinner and it is almost the last thing I have. Prunes. 5 prunes is 40g is 100 calories. That also meets a fruit requirement. I just call it dessert.
  • xjessicaxrx
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    How much does chocolate or that cream egg put you over each day? Can you go a bit less on the "large" meal and save the calories for the cream egg?

Or prelog the chocolate or cream egg first thing every day in your diary.. Then spread out the rest of the calories during the day accordingly.

edited to add: if you prelog it, you may not want it later, you may see this sitting out there on the diary and replace it with something else or choose something different like fruit or ice cream. IIt may be just a mental thing you need to work with since it is not hungry related. Only you know what is behind this need to just grab the chocolate.

Great idea thank you ill try pre-logging it :)
    It puts me over around 150 calories, if I did this everyday would it make a massive difference to my weight loss?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

Great idea thank you ill try pre-logging it :)
    It puts me over around 150 calories, if I did this everyday would it make a massive difference to my weight loss?

3,500 calories = 1 pound. Divide 3,500 / 150 = 23.33. So essentially over the course of 23 days you will lose 1 pound less than you would have without a snack.
  • davidalmaguer2
    davidalmaguer2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you don't buy it you can't eat it. Get rid of the temptation and it's not there. Try chewing gum when you want something sweet.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

fruit can put you over goals as quick as chocolate can.

Yes it can, 1 apple is about 60 calories, contains fibre which feels you up, and is sweet.

Food density is far more important than empty calories for weight loss.

no calories is...if I eat an apple I am starving in about an hour...if I eat chocolate not so much.