FLEXIBILITY - For long timers - how do you stay on track when Life changes?

Options
Balaru
Balaru Posts: 203 Member
My history has been I get to going really great - have the food plan down, exercising daily this is my lifestyle and then something changes (Hurricane (literally), Tornado (literally), kids home for summer break from college, home full time, working full time, etc.) and that's what sneaks up on me before you know it I'm flabby and out of shape again.

I have my eyes WIDE open this time. Had a great job interview on the phone this morning, got through to the next level and am hoping that I will be working full time shortly. Well wouldn't you know it I just got my routine down pat of walking 5 miles one day and biking 10 miles the next. Starting to add strength training too. I had plenty of time to do all of these things right now. Once I get back to work I will not be able to be that intense about getting the weight off. So I'm working on a plan.

Waking up at 5 a.m. will be a first effort but if that leaves me too drained with commuting and learning a new job then I will get my 1 hour of exercise in before dinner as soon as I get home. I do NOT want to loose the momentum.

Then there's the food part of it. Soft drinks and chocolate were always my downfall and are still a struggle if you look at my food diary. So I will have to make sure I bring my own drinks and snacks.

For those of you who have passed this part of the journey successfully how did you stay consistent with your program?
What kept you focused? Trying to make this a lifestyle and not some goal that will come and go.

I am incorporating this train of thought with my prep work for the face to face interview and in preparing myself to being a full time employee again.

I'm excited and nervous.

Words of wisdom from those who've been there please.

Replies

• jrtcw
    jrtcw Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I think being at work helps with the food of you are in a mindset that it will, no time to snack and if you take as packed lunch then you can manage what you eat. Time to exercise is so much harder, I haven't worked that one out :-(
  • cmtristani
    cmtristani Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Based on my experience you are doing everything right.

I lost my job in January 2015, and didn't start work again until December 2015. Part of that time I took off on purpose, my last work environment was exceedingly toxic. Anyway, during that time I was able to build a fantastic routine of working out, cooking and eating right, shopping for all the best foods all the time. Then I went back to work. My unemployed routine was completely unsustainable.

I knew my eating habits would get bad if I didn't think it through, so I came up with plans ahead of time. I get up at 445 am and head to the fitness center. I cook meals at night to take with me the next day (especially my mid afternoon chicken, or salmon, and veggies). Shop once on Saturday morning for the week, instead of multiple quick trips to the grocery store. I have good tasting protein bars stashed for when the office has donuts. I keep almonds in my desk, too. At my new job, I found other people that are healthy, work out, and eat right, so I just introduced myself to them and asked if I could join them for lunch. They were more than gracious in welcoming me, because just like this community we all support each other. I have learned about different diet ideas, new workouts, and just met some great people.

I go to bed early because of my hours, and I have learned to TiVo some of my favorite shows. I have had to make small adjustments to my planned routine, but mostly it worked out. If you plan, and you are determined - which you definitely sound like you are, then you will succeed.

The only other thing I would say is when you do slip up, which will happen eventually, don't beat yourself up over it. Just recognize it, accept it, and keep moving forward with your plan. Adjust your plan if necessary, but don't give up, you can make it work!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Best of luck on the new job. My advice -- after the first day, bring your lunch every day and don't eat what you didn't bring. My office kitchen is a dumping ground for cookies, pastry and leftover meeting food. I just stay out.
  • LosingItForGood13
    LosingItForGood13 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    It is hard but I take it week by week have fell off quite a few times but never gave up
    there will be several times u mess up until u reach the ahh ha moment and realize you are finally on the right path.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    I haven't been there yet, currently re-losing weight. But, check out the "Half Size Me" podcast and blog-- it's profoundly changed my perspective this time. She really focuses on the 'maintenance mindset' and making sustainable changes to weather the realities of life in the long run.
  • Balaru
    Options
    Cheesy567 wrote: »
    I haven't been there yet, currently re-losing weight. But, check out the "Half Size Me" podcast and blog-- it's profoundly changed my perspective this time. She really focuses on the 'maintenance mindset' and making sustainable changes to weather the realities of life in the long run.

I'm still learning...can you send me the link or give me a little more directions to find the Half Size Me podcast and blog?
  • Balaru
    Options
    Never mind I found it on YouTube
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!