Looking for Swimming Buddies

Options
I'm looking for swimming buddies as that is my sole form of exercise. I looked for a swimming group on here but didn't find one, so I started my own. If you also swim, I'd love to add you to my friends' list or you could check out my group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/114043-fitness-swimming

Replies

• chrisbaker383
    chrisbaker383 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    So, I recently started swimming for exercise and I'm convinced this is the best workout. I have questions though, as I'm a beginner. I've been swimming 8 reps of 100 meters while my kids do their swim class and I've lost some weight, but, I'd like to develop abs. Will swimming accomplish this?
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    @chrisbaker383 Swimming is a great all over body workout and can contribute toward improved fitness and a change in your physique, check out this transformation of Gethin Jones through swimming - http://www.coachmag.co.uk/exercises/exercise-plans/4440/gethin-jones-6-week-swim-transformation

BUT the single biggest factor in being able to see your abs is reducing body fat level, typically in men to I think around 14-16%? But I may have that wrong - I'm sure someone will soon correct me ;-) So by all means enjoy your swimming but remember the phrase 'abs are made in the kitchen'.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I came across this post! I used to be a hardcore swimmer (like, 3-5 hours/day, 6-7 days/week) and have wanted to get back into it (after many, many years). I just joined your group- hopefully this will help get me to actually GO to the pool and swim instead of thinking about it, lol! I bought a new suit, goggles, and cap 2 months ago and haven't used them.

@chrisbaker383 Like sarabushby said, swimming is a fantastic all-over workout. It's one of few exercises that works your entire body. I grew up swimming, partially as fun and exercise, and also to build up my lung strength because of my asthma. Swimming can help lose weight and build muscle strength and tone overall. There's no way to shrink only certain parts of your body (there's no such thing as losing "belly fat" specifically), but there are exercises that can better build up your abs specifically. I wouldn't drop swimming for those though, especially since swimming also helps strengthen your core, which would in turn help if you were to add ab exercises to your routine.
  • SwimmyD
    SwimmyD Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    There is a VERY active and awesome swimmers group here with people posting daily for many years! It's called Swimmers!
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Check this group too.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/122-swimmers
    Lots of swimmers in the group.
    I swim 4 miles a day 5 to 7 days a week. Some days I go for a second swim after work to make it a 10km day. And on weekends I try to get in a continuous 10km (220 laps in a 25 yard pool) on the weekend.
  • SwimmyD
    SwimmyD Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting that link fishgutsy! I didn't know how!!