Does metabolism get used to eating same food over n over?

Options

Replies

• viren19890
    viren19890 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Random thought, could be wrong, if you're more thirsty ...ANNNND have noticed an increased need to pee (along with the other markers), maybe check with your doctor and get tested for diabetes or other possible culprits.

Could be nothing; like you mentioned you still are losing...just smaller increments...but better safe than sorry.

The water just tastes so good lol that's why I drink it. All in all it's like an increase of maybe 1-2 glasses a day. Still drinking less than 6-8 glasses though as recommended.

I'll put it only list of items to ask my doctor during my medical though. Thanks.

Can diabetes just randomly happen? I have zero family history of anyone getting it. I'm not obese and workout 5 days a week and it can still happen?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options

viren19890 wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    The calories in the food won't change, but your body's metabolic rate can adjust. When you get used to doing something, the body adjusts by alotting the amount of calories to complete energy usage. Also known as homeostasis. So it's almost like eating at maintenance. So up your intensity of your exercise or physical activity instead.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
    aub6689 wrote: »
    ^what he said. body becomes more efficient and bmr goes down.

If I am interpreting correctly -you guys mean that it's possible that same food can cause body to not burn same amount of calories it used to ?

For example - 7 days my breakfast is same - my wrap -with varying ingredients -quantity changes but mostly similar items in the wrap.

Lunch changes everyday

Dinner is same 700-800 calories shake. I am usually at work so it's much easier to consume and it keeps me full until next morning.

So I need to change my diet for a week or so?

Not the same food...the human body strives for homeostasis so when you're dieting, your body will adapt to the calories and essentially become more efficient in a calorie restriction (adaptive thermogenesis). Like niner said, bump up the intensity of your exercise...also, maybe consider a diet break and bumping your calories up for a week or two to actual maintenance and then cut them again.
  • aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I don't think drinking more water is enough for you to worry about having diabetes without any other symptoms or risk factors. I think it is normal that you are drinking more water because your intensity is going up in your exercise.

Are you eating at what should be a steep deficit or a minor one? How many calories vs. your height and weight?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    No, your stomach applies acid to your food and converts it into elemental goop before sending it into the intestines which absorb such nutrients as they can find. If your "same food" is the same vitamin deficiency, your body displays symptoms of a vitamin deficiency. It does not adjust and act normal. It works the same with calories. If there are enough to maintain and grow, you will maintain and grow.

Metabolism changes over decades, not weeks.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    Random thought, could be wrong, if you're more thirsty ...ANNNND have noticed an increased need to pee (along with the other markers), maybe check with your doctor and get tested for diabetes or other possible culprits.

Could be nothing; like you mentioned you still are losing...just smaller increments...but better safe than sorry.

The water just tastes so good lol that's why I drink it. All in all it's like an increase of maybe 1-2 glasses a day. Still drinking less than 6-8 glasses though as recommended.

I'll put it only list of items to ask my doctor during my medical though. Thanks.

Can diabetes just randomly happen? I have zero family history of anyone getting it. I'm not obese and workout 5 days a week and it can still happen?

the water tasted much better to me, too, years ago. delish! but it turned out my blood sugar was 300 at the time (normal is around 100) and i had developed type 2 diabetes. diabetes can be caused by things other than weight, and you never know if there's a recessive gene somewhere. it couldn't hurt to get tested for things that might suddenly make you thirsty including diabetes.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    You're closing in on goal. If you don't have a food scale, get one, because your wiggle room is less the closer you get. Also, that close, your weight loss will definitely not be 1-1.5 lbs a week, more like .5lbs.

based on that I did lose 0.3lbs last week but I shrugged it off due to the fact that it's extremely little and could simply be water weight

So you did lose weight, and maybe lost more but retained a little weight from undigested stuff...
    You're overthinking this, give the process time.
  • viren19890
    Options
    I don't think drinking more water is enough for you to worry about having diabetes without any other symptoms or risk factors. I think it is normal that you are drinking more water because your intensity is going up in your exercise.

Are you eating at what should be a steep deficit or a minor one? How many calories vs. your height and weight?

I'm at a 700 calories deficit. Maintenance is 2700 i'm at 2050.
    Plus since I started taking creatine and loading phase is 4 weeks time IIRC -maybe it's loaded in me now properly that could be why I drink more water?
  • viren19890
    Options
    How the heck did this turn into me having diabetes. I'll get it tested dammit.

If I google this -google might even tell me that I have 6 months to live.

• aub6689
    Options
    When did you start taking creatine? I think this 3 weeks your weight loss has slowed, but not stalled. I would just keep doing what you are doing. Creatine, increased water, and a progressive workout program create a lot of factors. You also don't have a lot to lose and if you are doing more of a bodybuilding style progressive program, you could even have a bit of recomp occurring. I'd just hold steady for the time being.
  • viren19890
    Options
    btw here in Canada - doctors do a checklist before even prescribing a test- Last time when I had my medical - I used to workout 5 days a week and was 50lbs over weight and 25 years old. I didn't qualify for the test because I work out and zero family history and I didn't look fat.

This year he might slap me for even asking because I'm now 20lbs away from being considered ripped and still workout 5 days a week.
  • aub6689
    Options
    You are what mid-twenties and active?

Type II diabetes is most common in middle age, sedentary individuals with a history of being overweight, hbp, family history of diabetes (it isn't mendelian so the comment about recessive gene doesn't hold true it would be many genetic variants that each would only increase risk a bit). It would be very unlikely for you to have type II diabetes. Your thirst likely changed due to creatine and you should be drinking more water on creatine.

Also I work in diabetes research and diet and exercise are the best prevention strategies at lowering risk so I really really doubt you have anything to worry about unless you notice yourself having other symptoms. I probably wouldn't blame the doc if he slapped you lol
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    It may be unlikely that you have Type 2 diabetes, but the odds of having pre-diabetes (higher than normal blood sugar, but not high enough for Type 2 diabetes) are not as low.
  • viren19890
    Options
    You are what mid-twenties and active?

Type II diabetes is most common in middle age, sedentary individuals with a history of being overweight, hbp, family history of diabetes (it isn't mendelian so the comment about recessive gene doesn't hold true it would be many genetic variants that each would only increase risk a bit). It would be very unlikely for you to have type II diabetes. Your thirst likely changed due to creatine and you should be drinking more water on creatine.

Also I work in diabetes research and diet and exercise are the best prevention strategies at lowering risk so I really really doubt you have anything to worry about unless you notice yourself having other symptoms. I probably wouldn't blame the doc if he slapped you lol

I'm 26 and I do heavy strength training 5 days a week. I use to workout 6 days a week but cut down because my lifts were suffering due to being in deficit and working out too much.

When I say overweight I mean there were no visible abs. I was 28% bf according to my home machine. I'm 5 ft 10 inches and I was 226-230 lbs.

Now I'm 203lbs from past 3 weeks. Original goal was to stay at 200lbs because shirts and clothes look dope but abs will come out in any lighting if I'm at 190 -so I'll be dropping (trying) another 13 lbs.

I'm vegetarian no eggs/meat/seafood. I don't drink alcohol and last time I had pop was in 2015 November I think.

No family history of high blood pressure or diabetes ever- neither on mother or father side.
  • janetennet
    janetennet Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    When I was under a dietician she warned me of this problem. I can easily eat the same food every day (I do this with breakfast and lunch all the time) and yes your body does get "used to it" (for lack of a better word.
    Even if you don't agree perhaps try change your meals around and see if there is a difference - another way of changing is eating lunch for dinner, breakfast for lunch and dinner for breakfast.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    While I agree with the above, it's within the context of activity you perform. I highly doubt the body gets more efficient at digesting a potato the more you eat them, which is how I read the OP question.

I think they're referring to his stalled loss and other reasons for it, not that he has adapted to potatoes. As the body loses weight, it needs fewer calories, and also you burn less calories if you've been doing the same exercise for months. Your BMR goes down when you lose weight and your body isn't challenged anymore and therefore has stopped losing.

I recommend upping or changing your exercise a bit, but I always like eating the same few food items too :) keep your food but perhaps a little bit less of it now that you've lost weight.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    janetennet wrote: »
    When I was under a dietician she warned me of this problem. I can easily eat the same food every day (I do this with breakfast and lunch all the time) and yes your body does get "used to it" (for lack of a better word.
    Even if you don't agree perhaps try change your meals around and see if there is a difference - another way of changing is eating lunch for dinner, breakfast for lunch and dinner for breakfast.

How does your body get used to it?
    There are no free actions in the universe. Everything, including digesting food, takes energy. It doesn't matter if you're eating this for the first time or the same thing for the past 10 years.
  • trollerskates
    trollerskates Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    If your calories are low do a refeed day or 2, eat only carbs, then eat super clean. If you havent lost weight in a week up your cardio or lower your calories
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I'm also thinking you're already pretty lean...maybe not ab poppin' lean, but you look pretty lean. In my experience, you get to a certain point and then it just becomes ridiculously hard...in my experience getting to and maintaining a level of leanness to where you're abs are popping all of the time is pretty tough.

I personally do well right around 12% BF...it's easy for me to maintain without being a total nazi with my diet and exercise...to get below that really requires me to be pretty strict with everything, including sleep (which is tough because I have a 3 year old and 6 year old) and for me, it also seems that stress plays a larger roll when I'm trying to drop below that marker. Having gotten there once in the past three years, it was a *kitten* to maintain.

I used to rock a 6 pack in my early 20s no problem...much more difficult for me these days.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    janetennet wrote: »

This is my mom's biggest misconception. She's great with nutrition and is very fit for her age, but it's the one thing WW told her that she can't get her mind off of.
  • kirstinethornburg
    kirstinethornburg Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I would make sure your diet is a variety of healthy foods and even doubly sure you are eating lots of low carb veggies