Calories vs macros

Options
I have about 40 lbs to lose... Am I able to do this by just having a calories deficit alone or do I have to count macros? I see post about about both so it's a little confusing .... Help:)

Replies

• AnthonyX150X
    AnthonyX150X Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    You lose weight by having a calorie deficit. Macros are just a matter of nutritional preference.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    An extreme example: you could lose weight on a 1200 calorie diet that just includes Twinkies. This is because 1200 calories would be less than the number of calories your body expends during a day.

HOWEVER

Twinkies are low in fiber. So you will likely be constipated, and hungry. Fiber is filling and so good for digestion.

Twinkies are high sugar. Not the most long lasting, filling carb. You are likely to be hungry most of the time.

Twinkies are low protein. So your body will be forced to look for this elsewhere.......by using up existing lean muscle mass.

Calories first.....get a good handle on this. Then make (mostly) good food choices. Keep protein, fat & fiber numbers up. Good nutrition should help you stay fuel, should help you lose fat, and should keep you regular....lots of other things. This is super simplified.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    An extreme example: you could lose weight on a 1200 calorie diet that just includes Twinkies. This is because 1200 calories would be less than the number of calories your body expends during a day.

HOWEVER

Twinkies are low in fiber. So you will likely be constipated, and hungry. Fiber is filling and so good for digestion.

Twinkies are high sugar. Not the most long lasting, filling carb. You are likely to be hungry most of the time.

Twinkies are low protein. So your body will be forced to look for this elsewhere.......by using up existing lean muscle mass.

Calories first.....get a good handle on this. Then make (mostly) good food choices. Keep protein, fat & fiber numbers up. Good nutrition should help you stay fuel, should help you lose fat, and should keep you regular....lots of other things. This is super simplified.

One of the simplest and easy to understand explanations I've seen :smile: