Feeding the family

Options
I think my biggest problem with losing weight has been for the longest time I was always the only one trying. My husband was content with where he was so I was making dinner for the family and just trying to eat less because it was easier than cooking a separate meal for me. My kids are all good with lots of veggies and healthy foods my husband is not. I am looking for meals that are going to be healthy for everyone but that some one who is not really into (or wont try) veggies will be into eating as well. Hubby just weighed in the other day at the doc and is wanting to lose to but still not willing to do the veggie thing. Trying to get him to join the site so that he can see what, what he is eating looks like in calories but so far no luck....Again anyone have some good healthy tasty recipes.

Replies

• helenbenzie75
    helenbenzie75 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I have a magazine subscription to The Healthy Food Guide, I absolutely love the magazine and wouldn't be without it. The recipes they publish are easy to make and the portion sizes are huge! I wondered how my partner would be eating recipes from the magazine but even he comments on how big the portion sizes are. Not sure where you are in the world but I would definitely recommend this magazine :-)
  • Blshumway2010
    Blshumway2010 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I will have to check it out. Thank you so much
  • catlynnl
    catlynnl Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have no advice, but just wanted to say I am in the same boat. I can eat really well up until dinner. Family dinner is important to us, but it really is difficult.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    I'd say if you're cooking it, they can eat it, or make their own food instead!

Or, if you're having say chicken with stir fried veggies and rice, you could easily pass on the rice or have a smaller portion.

• brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    You just have to make meals that fully fit with your goals. Have small portions of high calorie foods. For example I made tortilla soup last night, and I still had chips and guacamole but it fit my goals. If it didn't fit yours, you could fill up on a super amazing soup and crumble one or two chips on top versus a whole serving that your husband might have. Mine ate two bowls of soup and certainly didn't count chips, but I did and it was all good on my end!

Any meal can fit into your plan, just make it easy on yourself. My husband has adjusted very well to no more fully pasta dinners, for example. One small change for him, but saves me 800+ calories a week.
  • codename_steve
    codename_steve Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Make veggies as a side dish, or make the pick eaters pick out the veggies.
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    You have to take care of your health. If your adult husband doesn't like what you cook, I'm sure he can find the kitchen ;)
  • bogwoppt1
    bogwoppt1 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I usually make a lean protein, a ton of veg and then some kind of carbs for the folk who want to eat more. Carbs can be potato, rice, pasta, baguette etc This way I just eat the lean protein and as much veg as I can cram in and they just add carbs.

I would not cook two meals, nor would I compromise on my goals. My way we meet in the middle and everyone gets what they want.

• MultipleHigh5s
    MultipleHigh5s Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I would say your husband can cook his own food. Another option is to cook like normal and take 250-300 calories worth for yourself, plus a bunch of steamed vegies .
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Have vegetables as a side dish and let him choose to eat or not eat them. Fill your plate with vegetables or salad.
    Puree vegetables and add to sauces, soup or stew. Mix finely chopped vegetables with ground meat for meatballs or meatloaf.
    My vegetable hating dd loves some soups that have vegetables. Minestrone is her favorite.
    Try roasted or grilled vegetables.
    Try stuffed peppers, tomatoes, zucchini.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Honestly I eat what the family eats but just a reasonable portion. We do a lot of basic grilled meats with veggies and baked potatoes because my kids prefer that over casseroles anyway. I also do a lot of healthy salads for lunch while my kids eat sandwiches.
  • 42firm03
    42firm03 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    One of the reasons that I'm succeeding at sustaining my deficit long enough to lose, and maintain for periods of time, is that I do not cook different food for myself.

I eat what I cook for the family. There is always someone who won't eat some part of the meal and sometimes it's me:) if my husband or son won't eat a particular vegetable I view it as more for me later. That's a win, isn't it? Left over roasted Brussels sprouts are yum.

No one's going hungry and I'm not stressed and I have nothing to quit since it's not special or different.

In the over two years I've been doing this my husband's eating has gotten a lot healthier. He has no idea!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    These recipes might be helpful because they have the calorie counts: http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/category/eat/recipes/
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    In our house, you get what you get and you don't throw a fit ;) Since I'm cooking/shopping, I decide haha. But we really do eat 'normal' food. Sometimes I'll sub out healthier ingredients or throw some veggies in to bulk it up. Even things like fajitas- peppers, onions, chicken- is healthy. Add in black beans, tomatoes, and Greek yogurt instead of sour cream. I started buying the smaller sized tortillas instead of the huge burrito size because who really needs to eat two of those stuffed full of food??

I spend time researching tasty new recipes too and pull them out when I meal plan (I save them in my 'favorites' folder). I found an amazing stuffed butternut squash recipe that had apples and sausage (I used half of the requested amount) that I wouldn't have tried before. Roast EVERYTHING haha. Roasted veggies are amazing... I could eat them daily. Just a little evoo and salt and pepper mmmm...
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I do the cooking. Mrs. doesn't cook. She likes shrimp and it's supremely easy to toss a few frozen shrimp in the skillet and cook them in some scampi seasoning. Add a side of veggies and she gobbles it up.
  • KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    Been at this for 200 days... suppers really have not been a problem.

I deliberately cut out the carbs at supper time (intentionally eating them earlier in the day) and so instead of potatoes, couscous, rice of fries, I would substitute a spinach, tomato and onion salad. Every single day. I consistently use balsamic vinegar and olive oil with a little parmesan cheese as a dressing.

For the first month it was a little weird, and initially it was a little odd because I would always put my salad on my plate with the protein but my two kids and husband would eat their salad in a bowl first but now it is the norm.

Our suppers are a little diverse already because I don't eat pork or beef (which my son loves) and our daughter has now gone completely vegetarian so we are all flexible and patient with each other to get everyone to the table with a supper they will enjoy.
    Good luck to you.