Chinese buffet

Options
caitlinrn83
caitlinrn83 Posts: 178 Member
Chinese food is probably my absolute biggest weakness. Once a month, we have a meeting at the local buffet...I try to drink lots of water and eat a small snack before going, but it's just sooo good. What are some ways to not completely deprive myself but also not devour the whole buffet??

Replies

• TheLittleRedHairedGirl
    TheLittleRedHairedGirl Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    They usually have a few types of soup, try having a cup of soup before you make your selections.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Soup, steamed dumplings, grilled meat, roasted veggies, fruit. And get just a small spoonful of each.

I'd forego the snack beforehand though, heck I save as many calories as possible for buffets, as I KNOW I will end up eating too much anyway.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,121 Member
    Options
    I have no suggestions. For the infrequent times I go to a buffet I go intending to eat as much as I can. I only go maybe 4-5 times a year. Once a month is a different situation. I would think focusing on protein rich foods would help, but I have no idea.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Maybe suggest a different restaurant? It is fine to enjoy Chinese food but you still need to pay attention to how much you eat. Do they have a menu that you can order an entree off of instead of getting the buffet?
  • agottier223
    agottier223 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If your buffet has a hibachi area I would fill up there - that way you can control what you eat. I always go there and fill my plate with plenty of veggies and shrimp. Then I go through the whole buffet and have a little taste (a bite or two) of all the things I like.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    I suppose you could go with meats (that aren't deep fried) and veggies in hopes it fills you up.

I know I go straight for the fried rice because I'm aiming to set a new calorie record. Do the opposite lol.

I'm curious on what your goal/ record is lol :p
  • WindSparrow
    WindSparrow Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    One thing that I love about the Chinese buffets around here are the vegetables. Sometimes the sauces can be too thick and overwhelming, but I look for whichever dishes have the thinnest sauces, and drain off as much as I can. I unashamedly pick around a bit to get a more favorable vegetable to meat ratio. And I love it when homestyle bean curd is on the buffet - properly cooked tofu for the win! Depending on what your eating plan is, and your needs of the day, you can take more or less rice or noodles. If you need to be really strict with breading and sauces, then maybe teriaki chicken on a stick and a salad.
  • veggiecanner
    veggiecanner Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I'm on a low sodium diet so I would have to pass on a chinese buffet.
  • ibawaya
    ibawaya Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I would fill up on the veggie stir fry and things like green bean chicken, or anything with shrimp as long as it's not fried, and tofu, skipping rice and noodles. Or try a different dish each time, and enjoy!
  • MsBuzzkillington
    MsBuzzkillington Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I suppose you could go with meats (that aren't deep fried) and veggies in hopes it fills you up.

I know I go straight for the fried rice because I'm aiming to set a new calorie record. Do the opposite lol.

If I went to a chinese buffet I'd probably go straight for the orange chicken and sesame chicken, then probably some egg rolls. I really like the high calorie stuff.

I'd recommend getting a small portion of the things you like and not going back for seconds. It's only once a month, so going slightly over on things won't be a big deal.
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Remember, that those serving spoons in the food are a "general" serving size. So don't fill your plate bottom with rice, and then pile lotsa fried meat on top. You're looking at like 6-7 servings of food there lol.

Use moderate servings, try to avoid the foods with heavy sauces, breadings and creams, as they are calorie dense.

Also, perhaps you could eat a hundred calories less for a couple days prior to "save" for that? Not sure if your deficit will allow that.
  • caitlinrn83
    caitlinrn83 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Egg rolllllllllls. Life is complete with egg rolls.

No chance they'll move the meeting. And no hibachi (WHY??).
    I do try to fill up on egg drop soup and chicken before anything else. And the asparagus is outstanding. But....it's not general tso's chicken! :smiley:
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if it's something you really, really enjoy, just bank 100 calories per day that week, shoot for maintenance, and eat what you want. If it's something you like but want to control yourself on, pick one high-cal item each time you go and fill up on soup and veggies. You know you'll be going back in a month, so it's not like you'll never have another opportunity to eat egg rolls.
  • MyFreakingNameIsScott
    MyFreakingNameIsScott Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Go for the most authentic dishes although I'm guessing those are rare at a Buffett. Stay away from the sauces...which is difficult. I love Americanized Chinese food but don't eat it often.
  • faidwen
    faidwen Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Most often you can eat whatever you wish at these.... but the SALT / SODIUM is going to kill you for a few days due to water retention.

DON'T SWEAT it though. Once a month, something like this is NOT going to RUIN you.... :)
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options
    Hi
    When I go to the Chinese Buffet here with friends, I resign myself to gaining several pounds of water weight and the fact that if I stay 100% on my plan for the rest of the week that it will be basically a lost weight loss week :)

The Fact is that many sauces and menu items are heavy on sodium.
    In Fact it is this one http://www.hibachigrillsupremebuffet.com/
    If You like Sushi for example. They have Several cuts of Beef and more.
    I try and stay with the Beef Rib Eye in Gravy cuts and The Broccoli Chicken, staying mostly with Broccoli and some chicken, draining off as much as possible of the sauce. I also get a variety of the fresh sliced fruit. However even being careful I know I will be going up a pound or two a day for the next two days and then it will come back off.

Steer clear as much as possible of the fried rice and other fried starches, including breaded items.

Good Luck
    Roger