Oatmeal Question

Options
marcenepea
marcenepea Posts: 364 Member
I was wondering if it works to cook a large amount of oatmeal and use it through out the week? I would love to do this on the weekend and be able to take it to work each morning with some fruit or something.

Any thoughts? How long would oatmeal last once cooked?

Thanks for your help

Replies

• MelodieKindree
    MelodieKindree Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I do this all the time with steel cut oats. I have never tried it with any other oats. Somebody I know recommended it to me, I thought she was crazy until I did it myself. Because who has over half hour every morning to cook oats lol. I do 1 cup of oats 2 cups almond milk and 2 cups water. You can use any liquid or milk as long as the ratio is 1 part oats to 4 parts liquid. I also change up the flavours of almond milk but always unsweetened. Combine everything into a pot and bring to a boil then simmer for 30 min uncovered stirring occasionally so it doesn't stick and burn on the bottom. My left overs in the fridge for three days. When I do reheat I just add a little bit of water and zap or reheat on stove. Then I add all kinds of dried fruit/ nuts/seeds/hemp/chia/coconut, and Always ground flax
  • carlicall
    carlicall Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love doing overnight oats where you put 1/2 cup old fashioned oats and 1/2 cup almond milk in a jar plus any flavor add ins (pinterest has hundreds of ideas!) and then store it in fridge overnight. Breakfast is ready to go when you wake up! It would be really easy to prep a few dry jars at the start of the week and then throw in the milk each night.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Cooked oatmeal lasts in the fridge for 4 or 5 days.

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    carlicall wrote: »
    I love doing overnight oats where you put 1/2 cup old fashioned oats and 1/2 cup almond milk in a jar plus any flavor add ins (pinterest has hundreds of ideas!) and then store it in fridge overnight. Breakfast is ready to go when you wake up! It would be really easy to prep a few dry jars at the start of the week and then throw in the milk each night.

I too, love overnite oats. It comes out tasty and just perfect.
  • kimdawnhayden
    kimdawnhayden Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I microwave the Old Fashioned Bob's Red Mills for 2 mins in the microwave. Mine are fine that way, but I'll eat anything.
  • ho11y4271
    ho11y4271 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I microwave my oats too, takes a couple of minutes still tastes great.
  • TinyTexn59
    TinyTexn59 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I pressure cook steel cut oats for my breakfasts. Portion into containers and reheat in the AM with almond milk. Takes about 13 minutes to do a weeks worth of breakfasts.
  • VitaSh
    VitaSh Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I do overnight oats. I mix a half or full container of Greek yogurt into a serving of oats, tiny bit of cashew milk to thin out to desired consistency, stevia or sweetener of choice, a scoop or so of my favorite flavor protein powder, maybe some fruit on top, delicious and I don't think I've had a different breakfast for like 2 years lol. Also super filling
  • beckybeth74
    beckybeth74 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    When you do "overnight Oats" do yall eat it cold or do u warm it up?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

I eat it cold, personally. I don't like it with Greek yogurt though so I just do one serving of oats, protein powder, and one cup of milk, plus whatever adds on I feel like having.

But yeah, thinking it would be easier to do it that way and reheat it in the morning. I just wonder how different it would taste.
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I batch cook steel cut oats. I just do it in water: 1 cup of oats with 4 cups of water in the evening. Then in the mornings, I scoop a serving out, put whatever mix-ins/add ons, and heat it up in the microwave. Other than thickening up in the fridge, it tastes the same. You might want a splash of milk to loosen it.
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I use quick oats, not steel cut, but I premix little containers with the ingredients I like in my oatmeal and then add hot water from the tap on the coffee pot at work and let it set for a few minutes before eating.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

The overnite oats recipe I use has you eat it cold. Mine has alot of fruit in it. 280cal

30g oats
    5g dried blueberries (It's hard for me to find regular blueberries in Rome, so this works fine)
    5g chia seeds
    5g chopped nuts (have used almonds, now walnuts)
    dash cinnamon
    90g chopped tart apple unpeeled
    25g frozen mixed forest fruits--raspberries, strawberries, lingonberries, wild blueberries.
    100g skim milk

I layer the ingredients in order in a wide mouth jar and put in the frig overnite. In the morning mix and eat. Sometimes I'll add 30g of sliced banana in the morning. This is my favorite 1 hour before swimming in the morning. I can't wait to eat breakfast when I know it's in the frig waiting. You can change this up anyway you like.