Resistance bands for a newbie?

Options
Just started on MFP on May 2. Down 10 pounds (140 to go). Would like to do some strength training. No gym within 50 miles, and no room/money for expensive equipment. Are resistance bands a decent way to start out? TIA

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Yes they would be great. I did a lot of that in the beginning & still do a fair bit. They're very versatile. There are ways to make even a light band harder as you progress.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Consider getting a door-mountable kit, which is much more versatile than the individual bands with handles. Good kits include GoFit, Bodylastics, and Black Mountain.

It's hard to do some of the basics with bands (squats, deadlifts, lunges), so look into either buying a pair of adjustable dumbbells ($50 on Ebay for 25 lbs. x 2), or improvise your own weights using heavy things around the house. :+1:
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Resistance bands are a nice part of my kit but if I were just starting out I would lean towards bodyweight exercises as my primary plan. Good luck!
  • jj_steele
    jj_steele Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Fitness bands are great. I take them with me when I travel. If you want a set with door attachments, you may wish to visit a site such as Amazon.com, put "fitness bands" in the search box, and read the various reviews. They have sets available from $20 - $30. If memory serves me correctly, I purchased my band sets from TJMaxx, Ross, or Marshall's for about $15. The set came with three different bands of varying resistance and a set of handles. I purchased the door mount separately. The cost was about $5. However, I mainly use weights (dumbbells) for resistance training. Maybe purchase one or two pair to begin with. You should be able to find them at Sporting Goods Stores for $1-$2 per pound, per dumbbell.

Good luck in your endeavors.
  • monica_823
    monica_823 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have seen great results with bands especially if you want to maintain and stay active; so many uses: you can just google or youtube and find a ton of exercises you can do!