Options
2»

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Larissa_NY wrote: »
    (Will somebody get rid of the stupid "*kitten*" thing? It was funny for maybe two seconds. Now it's just lame and, depending on the context, sort of offensive.)

Subbing ***** for prohibited words was so much clearer and not annoying. I have said so vociferously in Forum Feedback threads that have since been zapped. (This should not be construed as airing a grievance; I am simply providing an explanation for why these discussion cannot be found.)

Rather than derailing this thread by continuing the convo here, email Nova to complain about it or start a new thread in Forum Feedback.
  • Aria_Luna
    Aria_Luna Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    There are some people here who are miss-informed. Toning is about losing the weight, sure. But yoga also tones the layer lean tissue (not exactly muscle) that is actually on top of your fat. It has 'holes' in it, so when you're overweight the fat actually pokes through this layer of muscle. So of course as you lose weight it helps the appearance. However this lean tissue can strengthen just like muscle and can make you look flatter and tighter, which is what people are talking about when they say tone.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I think yoga will make you more flexible (yeah), but won't help you build muscle. I just recently got into yoga and I love it. It does not replace my strength training, it is a supplement to my over all health.
    Aria_Luna wrote: »
    There are some people here who are miss-informed. Toning is about losing the weight, sure. But yoga also tones the layer lean tissue (not exactly muscle) that is actually on top of your fat. It has 'holes' in it, so when you're overweight the fat actually pokes through this layer of muscle. So of course as you lose weight it helps the appearance. However this lean tissue can strengthen just like muscle and can make you look flatter and tighter, which is what people are talking about when they say tone.
    What in the world????? Receipts please.
  • Noelani1503
    Noelani1503 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I love yoga. I prefer the slower Hatha and yin styles to power yoga. It wasn't until I started strength training that I noticed a difference in my abilities to hold upper body poses for any length of time. I was pretty shocked when I did it the other day. I just wasn't progressing because I wasn't taxing the muscles enough. You do a few rounds of a certain flow in a class. I wouldn't get very far if I lifted a heavy weight with poor form a couple of times a day. Even if you're overweight, struggling to get out 10 push ups a day wouldn't build the muscle very easily. Sure there are plenty of dedicated yogis who do intense yoga for a couple of hours every day. But that's not me.

Anecdotal, but I really think it's important to have a SOLID strength training program going while you're trying to lose weight, if for no other reason than to safely preserve muscle mass. There are other phenomenal benefits to yoga and meditation though. I'm happy to lose a hard training day once a week to make time for yoga.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I think Yoga is probably great and definitely helps you. I don't think you get the progressive overload you need to build much muscle. You can certainly benefit from it. So will you get the same things from it, no I don't think so. If it works for you use it. A lot may depend on what you actual end goal is.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I think that yoga is super helpful. I've found it very helpful for my strength and overall abilities. However, I don't think your standard beginner / intermediate yoga is a sufficient replacement for weight training. Now, if you're routinely flipping upside down and balancing on your genitals and such while spinning in circles, well... my hat's off to you. You can probably skip the weights.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I do yoga 3-4 times a week (90 minutes power yoga) and I lift heavy once per week for 2-3 hours. Plus some cardio. This has been a good mix for me. I find the strength training and yoga compliment each other very well. The yoga classes are really intense and I've found my upper body strength has improved quite a bit since dropping one weight lifting session a week (and changing up the one I'm doing) and adding the yoga classes. My arms and shoulders have more definition than they've ever had with this combo. I did start taking yoga from a studio instead of the classes offered at my gym and there is a HUGE difference in the quality of the instruction and the intensity of the class.

I do a 90 minute advanced yoga class the morning after weight lifting and find the stretching and twisting to be a tremendous benefit due to the counter movement to all the contracting I do when lifting. And the lifting supports strength building to help me do some of the more advanced yoga poses like handstands and forearm balances.

Great blend of fitness. I'd say keep both. They do different things and go well together. Just keep pace with what your body can handle as you start out and gain strength and mobility. :blush: