how do you measure "bulky" fruit?

Options
2»

Replies

• MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I have a scale, that's my issue though. One cup of melon balls put in a measuring cup vs. 8 oz (one cup) measured on the scale are two VERY different amounts when you put them next to each other. Just went through to do a comparison--putting cantaloupe balls in the 1 cup measuring cup gives me 12-13 melon balls. Weighing out 8 oz (still one cup!) of melon balls gives me 25-26 melon balls. That's twice as much if I'm weighing by ounces vs. filled cup, but they're both *technically* one cup, kwim?

A cup is not a unit of weight.

If it says one cup of melon balls it's talking about volume and the 12 - 13 balls in a measuring cup. If it says 8 oz it's talking about the weight and the 25 - 26 balls on a scale.

THIS! 1 cup is NOT necessarily 8 oz. (Fluid, yes, most are 8 ounces... food is usually about half about that!)
  • houlenberg
    houlenberg Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I weigh it in grams. It's the most accurate measurement.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Everyone has their own way, no need to be rude about it.
    ...and weight is only measure that is going to be accurate. I'd rather someone be rude and tell me how I'm doing it wrong than to pat me on the head and tell me it's okay to go ahead and just estimate.
  • GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Of course a food scale will be most accurate. But this is something I plan on doing the rest of my life, and I'm pretty sure a food scale isn't going to be available every time I eat. I'd rather put some effort into learning how to estimate food portions as accurately as possible without a scale. But if you enjoy it, by all means use a scale.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I've found that the longer I've used a food scale at home the better I've gotten at estimating weights in general. Because I become so accustomed to what the amount looks like while I'm weighing it that it becomes more of a second nature. Last night I was portioning a big pile of fresh chicken breast that I'd diced for easy prep after unfreezing into 5oz servings. Every portion I placed on the scale was within 1/2-1/4 of an ounce of the 5oz. The first time I did it was putting on anywhere from 3 1/2 to 6 1/2 ounces at a time.

So relying on a food scale at home has actually made me much more confident in the estimates I've had to make while away from it.
  • LongIsland27itl
    LongIsland27itl Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Find the nutrition in weight not volume