Time to get strict!!

Options
I've been dieting for ages and this year I've done pretty well, but once again I've come to a stand still, lost my motivation and bored of the same routine...

Back to the gym today and back to eating healthy with 1 cheat day only! (Keep adding sneaky cheat days in pretending it's not gonna affect my diet!)

But please if any one can give me some motivation and tips to help me through the first strict week atleast

Replies

• StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    Your thinking is wrong and until you fix it you wont be very successful for long. Mix the foods you love in in small amounts and in healthier ways to your daily routines. Fit them into your calories for the day. You get bored because you deny yourself, That is not sustainable.

+1
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Yeah, Seriously don't think "diet" think lifestyle ...You need enjoyment in all aspects of life to be happy and healthy, That includes food. Aslong as your making a good solid effort to eating clean you can enjoy snacks and treats. Once you stop looking at it as a diet and explore the ways to make the healthier options those will be the versions you'll crave in no time, And you wont feel denied and bored.

I personally loved pizza, But there's quite a few healthy pizza recipes out there that are damn delicious. And with the added benefit of not making me feel gross and bloated.

And if you must have the gross versions, We all do it sometimes, Try drinking a large glass of water and maybe eating a big veggie salad and waiting just 20 minutes, And then allow yourself to eat the bad. Chances are you wont even want it, And if you do you'll eat far less.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I've been dieting for ages and this year I've done pretty well, but once again I've come to a stand still, lost my motivation and bored of the same routine...

Back to the gym today and back to eating healthy with 1 cheat day only! (Keep adding sneaky cheat days in pretending it's not gonna affect my diet!)

But please if any one can give me some motivation and tips to help me through the first strict week atleast

Strict can mean two things and you are confusing the two and consistently pick the wrong one. The same goes for diet/dieting. Your diet is what you eat. Dieting can mean just eating less to lose weight, but it can also mean eating in an usustainable way in an attempt to lose weight.
    You periodically deprive yourself/undereat/overtrain, and you can't stick to that, and that's good because it's unhealthy.
    Nobody should have to diet for years and years. You just need to find a healthy diet, a diet that you like but also have the right amount of calories and nutrients, so that you don't feel the need to "cheat" - and stick strictly to that, which won't be a problem, because it's a way of eating that you like. See?
  • janetennet
    janetennet Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Sometimes we all need a strict week... to get our mindsets back on track :smile:

My suggestion would be to pre-plan your meals that way you won't be tempted by other foods and give in.
    Buy lots of yummy veg and fruit and focus on eating whole foods instead of junk food and take-a-aways, but also try make it fun as mundane food will always be made as such - try using lots of herbs and low-cal ways of "spicing up your food." Drink over and above your 8 cups of water and make that fun too... there's plenty ideas on pinterst on how to do this.

But mostly take it a day at a time, if you can eat cleanly for one day that's all you need to focus on, the next day is also just one day and if you've done one you can do more!
  • godlikepoetyes
    godlikepoetyes Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Make sure you log everything you eat every single day. Log every single bite. As you have so many cheat days, I suspect you are skipping logging on those days. But here's a tip--even when you have a "cheat" day, still record the food. It keeps you honest and it will help you feel more secure. One of the coolest things is how often you will eat less than you think, in which case it's how often you have "cheat" days that's the problem. Again, you must show up every day and log your food.
  • godlikepoetyes
    godlikepoetyes Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    Yeah, Seriously don't think "diet" think lifestyle ...You need enjoyment in all aspects of life to be happy and healthy, That includes food. Aslong as your making a good solid effort to eating clean you can enjoy snacks and treats. Once you stop looking at it as a diet and explore the ways to make the healthier options those will be the versions you'll crave in no time, And you wont feel denied and bored.

I personally loved pizza, But there's quite a few healthy pizza recipes out there that are damn delicious. And with the added benefit of not making me feel gross and bloated.

And if you must have the gross versions, We all do it sometimes, Try drinking a large glass of water and maybe eating a big veggie salad and waiting just 20 minutes, And then allow yourself to eat the bad. Chances are you wont even want it, And if you do you'll eat far less.

I'm so glad I read this--wait, wait. My therapist calls it "sitting still with my feelings." Wait. Breathe. This waiting is what scares me, this is the space between breaths that Geneen Roth writes about in her books.
  • spoons81
    spoons81 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I eat "bad things" several times per week, (chocolate, beer, etc..) however I make sure I eat those things in moderation and ensure they fit into my calorie allowance for the day. I find, like a lot of people, that if I get all super-strict and in the mindset that "I'm on a diet", I fail. And stay away from cheat DAYS... that can undo all the good you did for the week. I work in cheat meals once in a while (nights out, weddings, etc.).

This should be a lifestyle change... I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to spend the rest of my life depriving myself of anything.).