Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

How to control hunger after eating

Hi everyone, I'm going nuts. I've gained weight since losing my job because I am a bored eater. I've started counting calories and going to the gym regularly and am trying to stick to the 1200 calories plus eating back my exercise cals. My biggest problem is that after eating, I'm still super hungry. The hunger pangs usually last about an hr and drinking a ton of water doesn't help. Does anyone have any suggestions for controlling these pangs? I'm so frustrated I'm thinking about taking a low dose of phentermine just to deal with this!

Beth

Replies

• Sounds a bit simplistic maybe but I have a piece of sugar free chewing gum after a meal. Works for me. Also distract yourself, take the dog out, have a bath, do some housework, read a book, browse the net. Anything that requires your thought so you are not thinking about food really.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Why not just eat a little more? If you eat 1400 + exercise you'll still lose weight.

ETA: also, are you eating enough fat, fiber and protein? These really make a meal more satiating, IMO.
  • I have to physically or mentally distract myself. I've taken to working out, walking, or jogging after dinner & late at night when I get the "I'm bored so I'm hungry" cravings. If getting outside & doing something isn't feasible, I clean, organize, or *blush* play candy crush or sodoku puzzles.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    I'm at 1700 cals, never hungry, losing weight steadily. Maybe you need a little more fuel.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    I'd shoot for a high(er) protein goal. It has the highest satiety of the macros. Other than that, I'd try to keep busy with something.
  • kini324
    kini324 Posts: 239 Member
    I have to remove myself from the kitchen or anywhere near it. I can be completely full, but there is just something in me that wants to keep eating. It's hard, but I usually succeed.
  • momshorses
    momshorses Posts: 376 Member
    I agree with the other advice. Another trick I use is to drink Bengal Spice tea. (no milk or sugar, just black) It seems to help.
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    I'm at 1700 cals, never hungry, losing weight steadily. Maybe you need a little more fuel.

Same. Weight's just falling off.

OP, eat more and do a search on 1200 calories here in the forums. Then read, read, read. You're hungry because you're not eating enough to fuel yourself. It's really that simple.
  • hbbeth
    hbbeth Posts: 13
    Thank you all. It's not as easy as it was at 23. Sigh. I'll try to get out of the house and away from the fridge after meals. :wink:
  • msaprilm1
    msaprilm1 Posts: 47
    Gum is my best friend, it serves me well:happy:
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    It isn't just calories that you need to pay attention to, but what exactly you are eating - as others have pointed out.

2 things I would try first:

First:: A nutritionist once told me "Focus on lean/healthy proteins and the fats/carbs will take care of themselves." Make sure you're focusing on protein first. It sticks with you for 7-8 hours vs. carbs which only last for around 2-3 (if that long).

Second: Increase your fiber intake. I typically use Chocolite protein bars from www.healthsmartfoods.com
    They have about 10 grams of fiber and 10 g of protein - and are around 100 calories. I like the Triple Chocolate Fudge; my husband likes the Cashew Caramel, and we both like the cookies and cream. They're also sugar free and gluten free.

If those don't work, then try what others have suggested anything from keeping yourself busy (even with Sudoku puzzles or chewing gum).
  • tiffanyraylene
    tiffanyraylene Posts: 97 Member
    I'm eating 1700-1800 cals a day, high protien/low-medium carbs. I always feel satisfied and lose consistently! I would suggest slowly bringing up your cals per day to your TDEE - 20%

do this:
    http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/mbf/

then use that number to calculate BMR and TDEE for your activity level using the Katch-McCardle method here:

Your BMR should be your absolute minimum net cals. Your TDEE is what you need to eat to maintain your weight. Subtract 20% from your TDEE to create a deficit, BOOM, that's your magic number.
  • CashierCantin
    CashierCantin Posts: 206 Member
    Eat Slower and don't be distracted. Sit at the dining room table, eat, then go watch TV or read a book or something. Pay attention to your meal. Also it sounds like you could probably use more food if you are PHYSICALLY hungry. If you're bored hungry, you need to break the habit by not giving in. After 2 weeks the new habit will be established and you should be on your way. If you feel you need to eat then keep low cal items to crunch on like cucumbers, baby carrots, celery. Just dont load them up with high cal dressings/dips. Eat as is. When you're hungry, you'll eat. If you're hemming and hawing around looking for something to eat, you're not hungry, you're bored and should get out of the kitchen!

Good luck!!! :)
  • tiffanyraylene
    tiffanyraylene Posts: 97 Member
    I'm eating 1700-1800 cals a day, high protien/low-medium carbs. I always feel satisfied and lose consistently! I would suggest slowly bringing up your cals per day to your TDEE - 20%

do this:

then use that number to calculate BMR and TDEE for your activity level using the Katch-McCardle method here:

Your BMR should be your absolute minimum net cals. Your TDEE is what you need to eat to maintain your weight. Subtract 20% from your TDEE to create a deficit, BOOM, that's your magic number.
  • kirstyfairhead
    kirstyfairhead Posts: 220 Member
    Check you are getting the right amount of calories

Try eating more protein, keeps you fuller/longer IMO

And try hot drinks with your meal. I find having a cup of tea really helps to beat hunger pangs........mind you I'm British and a cup of tea fixes.... well......everything!!! :wink:
  • gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Hot herbal tea always helps me. For some reason having something hot tricks my mind into thinking I've eaten.

But at 1200 calories you might not be having enough food. Protein and some fat helps, too, like some Babybel cheese or those Laughing Cow wedges.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Protein, fat and fiber ALL help keep you full longer. I can eat loads of no fat protein & be hungry fairly quickly....... "just protein" doesn't cut it for me. Other people do well on "just protein" ....... experiment a little to see what you need.

1200 (plus exercise) may help you lose weight quicker...... but if you struggle all the time it might be better to bump up the calories and lose a little slower. Besides, slower is often better ..... you hang on to more muscle mass that way.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,779 Member
    You are probably hungry b/c you aren't eating enough.

There are 2 ways to determine your caloric requirements.

1) Use the MPF NEAT method. Follow the guided instructions found in MY HOME > GOALS > CHANGE GOALS. Select "guided" and choose a goal of "Lose 1 pound per week". And eat back your exercise calories.

OR

2) Use the TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) method. Determine your TDEE based on your activity level and eat at a moderate (15-25%) deficit. See the following http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/963088-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy and http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet for additional information about the TDEE method.
  • I've added lots of fiber to my diet (whole grain everything and check the labels for fiber) and that seems to help me keep from being too hungry. Also, I finally tried eating smaller meals multiple times a day. About 150-300 calories at a time depending on what I want really helps me fill the snack void. After a couple of weeks eating like this you get used to the feeling of small meals. One last thing I try to remember is that 1200 is the minimum. If you really feel you need a little more, going a bit over your calorie limit with a snack bar (I like nature valley chewy fruit & nut) usually does the trick without messing up your weight loss. I'm just a person trying to lose weight, but this has been working for me. I'm quite heavy though, so it might be different depending on how many calories you burn before exercise (mine's really high).

Cassie
  • DANCERPURPLE
    DANCERPURPLE Posts: 134 Member
    BUMP