Healthy solutions to reducing Carbs and Sugars -Not SF/FF - Food allergies

Options
Balaru
Balaru Posts: 203 Member
More into whole foods than processed, sugar free or low fat because of food allergies.

Seem to be going over on carbs and sugars still, 40 days into MFP
. Trying to make this a lifestyle. The first 30 days I got the exercise in order and made it a habit. Now I'm trying to get the nutrition/macros where it should be.

Suggestions for reducing carbs and sugars please.
Mostly in the snack area.

My snacks generally include:
  • Fruit - raisins, nectarines, Halos/Cuties = mandarin oranges, grapes, apple, watermelon, strawberry, peaches, pears
  • Chips or Pretzels - measure and weighed - 1 serving only (have to watch this closely or I'll eat the whole bag - lol )
  • Popcorn with 1 tbsp real butter (popcorn in a brown paper lunch bag in the microwave - no oil) still need the butter on top at this point.
  • Fruit slushie - frozen satsumas juiced with almond milk in the bullet (kind of like ice cream)
  • One pointers - 2 graham crackers with 1 tbsp of cool whip frozen - WW version of an ice cream sandwich
  • 1/2 a protein bar
  • Kit Kat fun size bars (4 small bars)
  • Sargento cheese sticks or string cheese

I have switched to diet Dr Pepper instead of regular when I cannot resist the urge for a soda but I am working toward water instead of soda. Also drink Iced Tea (only (2) tbsp of sugar in 2 quarts of tea) otherwise water.

We do not eat a lot of meat because it doesn't agree with my stomach. My son loves it so when he's home from college we will have it in the house otherwise not so much. So I don't see myself munching on a slice of turkey for a snack. I very rarely eat nuts because I'm allergic and I usually feel it within minutes of eating some. Raw veggies are also a problem - they are okay steamed or sauteed but raw my tummy starts to look like a helium balloon if I snack on them. If I eat a salad sometimes I'm okay other times not so much.

So protein is too low, carbs and sugar are too high. The usual solutions aren't working because of food allergies.

The solution to food allergies - avoid the allergen
. Pretty tough when you're allergic to everything. Fortunately through the years the reactions have become less severe and now it's more of a tolerance thing. I can eat a little but if I go past the threshold it's reaction time. Reactions now are just very uncomfortable instead of life threatening and ER trips like when I was a kid and teenager. So there is an up side with getting older. Lol

Here's another weird thing about food allergies - the more "clean" my diet is the more immediate the reaction is. No guessing what I ate that has me sick.

Now that you know my life's history, TMI? Any suggestions on this challenge

Replies

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Are they food allergies or food intolerances, or both? There's a difference. Food allergies, such as those people often have to peanuts, are life-threatening and immediate--they cause hives, swelling of the mouth and throat and can restrict breathing. Food intolerances often cause gastrointestinal discomfort, but are not life-threatening, they typically occur as the food is being digested (not an immediate, acute, reaction). This definition from my doctor as we are working on what may be causing my "gastrointestinal discomfort." Dairy wasn't my issue. Currently am gluten-free (SUCKS).

I honestly think you need to talk to a doctor/RD. What is it in the meat causing the reaction? Of all the kids I've worked with over the years, I've never heard of someone being allergic to all meat. Maybe its the way it's sourced or prepared?

For protein, I'd look at Greek yogurt, cottage cheese (since you can have dairy), more protein bars, protein powder (mix some in with your fruit slushie). What about fish/seafood? What about tofu/soy?
  • Balaru
    Options
    A little of both. I have had severe reactions and ended up in the ER years ago. Certain things I get the same reaction every time. Like melons (watermelon, cantaloupe) immediately makes the roof of my mouth itch like crazy and hives around my lips. Bananas too. I go back every few months or so and try it again just to see if anything has changed. The nuts make me itch and feel awful but no life threatening stuff. Before the days of benadryl I was always in the hospital looking like Will Smith in Hitch but now if I feel a reaction getting out of control usually the benadryl takes care of it.

The meat issue my allergist said was caused from the nitrates/nitrites?? they use to process it.

I like to try the mind over matter theory and eat a little bit of things and see what happens. Call me a rebel, living on the edge but I haven't had a serious reaction in years and I ALWAYS have benadryl on me. Used to carry an epipen just in case. I usually eat dishes with very few ingredients. Shy away from big casseroles unless I make it myself and know exactly what went in it.

I've found the best thing for me is to eat whole unprocessed foods and get at least 1 hour minimum of exercise per day.

This year since I've been working my way up on exercise outside I've drastically reduced the amount of benadryl I've had to take and I can even cut the grass now (if I run inside and take a shower immediately). I think it's like the allergy shots. I've been exposing myself to the allergens in small amounts each day gradually increasing til I can tolerate it.
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    pretzels, popcorn, chips, kit kats, graham crackers and fruits are all carbs. so thats a place to start. google low carb snacks, recipes. lots out there
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    1. At a glance, all of your snacks look higher carb except the strawberries, protein bar, and cheese, so more of those.
    2. Berries are lower carb, so more of those.
    3. What about hard boiled eggs as a snack?
    4. I often have cottage cheese plus fruit as a snack.
    5. Most meats like cold cuts/hot dogs/kielbasa do have nitrates/nitrites in them. You can find brands that don't, but you may be safer eating meats from foods like raw chicken that you cook yourself. For cold cuts, I buy brands like Plainville Farms which uses celery powder instead of nitrates/nitrites. The celery powder performs a similar function so you may have a similar reaction. Again, cooking raw, untreated meat may be safer for you.
    6. As to nuts, well, peanuts are actually legumes and almonds are drupes. You could experiment with different classes of nuts - get raw nuts with no added ingredients - Diamond walnuts for example have the preservative BHT but other brands leave it out and roasted nuts may include things like cottonseed oil which is something I avoid - but I don't know if this is worth the pain of experimenting.
  • Sarah_Shapes_Up
    Sarah_Shapes_Up Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Would it be possible to cut down the snacking? or focus the snack towards a protein snack instead of a carb snack instead? (All the snacks your listed are VERY carb heavy except the cheese.) For more nutrient dense/lower sugar options for carbs, I like oat meal, brown rice, berries, potatoes, beans, lentils, and quinoa. Best of all, they are all relatively cheap!

For me, I rather eat larger meals and not snack. It's easier to stick to the plan that way. I usually eat 2-4 times a day with breakfast, lunch, snack, dinner during the week, and sometimes a brunch and then dinner on the weekends. I feel full after and between meals, and I noticed less cravings. If I am feeling snackish, I chew gum and down a 0 cal beverage (water, tea, soda, etc.)
  • tinkin3
    tinkin3 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I think you definitely need to up your protein intake. For snacks, you could consider having a protein with the carb - for example, a slice of Laughing Cow cheese or peanut butter spread on apple slices. Also raisins, like other dried fruits, are higher in calories.
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you might have oral allergy syndrome: http://acaai.org/allergies/types/food-allergies/types-food-allergy/oral-allergy-syndrome

By the way, it's fairly rare but apparently you can be allergic to meat. I know people whose kids are allergic to beef and pork. But I also have a son who is allergic to sesame/peanuts/tree nuts, so I spend a disproportionate amount of time communicating with people who have allergies/whose kids have allergies. So yes, you can be allergic to meat, but if it's only cold cuts and similar items making you react it's likely nitrates.

As far as protein goes, what about tofu? Tasty and simple, and as long as you don't have a soy issue there shouldn't be an additives as an issue with plain tofu.
  • Balaru
    Options
    Thanks guys - I will put these into place. The soy I have to watch how much I eat of it. None of the faux meat products agree with me. Have been kind of chicken to try tofu - Lol Maybe one day.

I probably do snack too much but that will probably change once I'm working full time again and not just job hunting or counting calories.

Thanks again - this is a great start. Let me know if you think of anything else.