Exercising when sore

Options
On Monday I did some weighted lunges and squats as well as cardio. Tuesday and Wednesday my legs and butt were so sore that I couldn't run. Today, Thursday, I finally sucked it up even though I'm a little sore.

Is it normal to be sore for days? Is it normal for soreness to be painful when using those muscles to sit down, stand up, etc? Is it bad for your body to exercise when sore?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Yes it is normal...but working out helps with the soreness actually. You should have gone for a walk at least on the next day....maybe a run on Wed.

Deadlift day for me is Tuesday...I will be sore on Wed...so I go for a walk.
    Even more sore on Thursday but I do my squats anyway and I always feel so much better after.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) isn't unusual and can last a few days. It can be pretty severe, but is more of a dull/achy pain rather than a sharp pain.

Exercising when sore is most likely ok. Exceptions would be sharp pains or anything that you think otherwise might be an injury. I often exercise while sore if I'm just getting back into things after a break. I find that if I keep the lifting routine consistent and hit the muscle groups every 2-3 days that I do not suffer from DOMS at all.
  • aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Very normal, DOMS is common for leg work especially because they are such a large muscle group. Exercising when sore is the best way to get rid of that soreness. Don't go in sore and work legs again, try doing a heavy upper body day or upper body muscle group and some moderate cardio.
  • soccerkon26
    soccerkon26 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!!! :)
  • Misspinklift
    Misspinklift Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Normal. When your sore eat some protein and drink water
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    I had very severe soreness last week after my first "big" strength training workout, it lasted two full days as well and on the third is when I felt ready to go again. Honestly I just spent those two days stretching, massaging, and drinking plenty of water and I made sure to hit my protein goal on those days. I was still sore on the third day but I wasn't about to fall down the stairs.

It may be okay, but I won't exercise when I feel that awful. I will practice tlc. If I push through that level of pain I'm going to burn myself out. Taking a break was the right answer for me! I don't think it's abnormal, nor is it wrong to rest when you feel you need it. My roommate made good advice to me, he said "well now that you've started don't stop or you'll keep feeling that way!" So I'm going to keep it up!
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Yes, it's called DOMS, Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness. The soreness is caused when lactic acid builds up in the tiny tears in your muscle and by inflammation. I've been sore so many times I can tell you exactly how long it takes for me to get sore and how long it will last by how severe it is. Being sore is a good sign that you're challenging your muscles. Embrace the hurt!
    If the soreness is really bothering you there are ways you can eat to help reduce the soreness but it's restrictive of many American Diet staples like gluten. Check out eat to perform or feel free to add me (send a message when you add me) if you want more info on what to eat and what to avoid. Also foam rolling, stretching, drinking lots of water, and hot baths with epsom salt help with muscle soreness as well. There's really nothing else you can do but wait it out.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    I have a question re doms : I know a big of exercise is good and helps - I have a sore hamstring muscle from a drill we did in my thai boxing class on weds. Today, friday, leg is still a bit stiff and sore. Would I be ok still to do a thai boxing class, considering I will be kicking so will have to balance on the sore leg? I don't want to make it worse ...

thoughts?
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    When I have doms I will give that muscle group a day but then I really want to work it out. It helps loosen things back up for sure.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Epsom salt soaks are amazing for this. It also helps that thr magnesium is absorbed through the skin. I've had DOMS so bad before that I could barely walk. 45 minutes in a hot bath with some ES, and I was ready for squats all over again.