Horrible stomach!

Options
Hi guys looking for some advice

I have lost 7 stone through healthy eating and exercise. This has been a gradual loss over 2/3 years. I understand that getting to target weight is a good idea before worrying about toning up etc but I am really starting to get down about the appearance of my stomach. I would like to loose another two stone. Which I think could easily come from my stomach area.

I have been left with the dreaded mothers apron! Saggy tummy although I do not have any children. I know this is due to the act amount of fat and weight lost. In the long term I think I may need surgery to fully correct the skin and overhang.

Just wondering if anyone has had the same problem and has advice on the situation

Thanks K xx

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Whoever told you to wait for strength training was wrong. Start lifting yesterday.
  • Curlykae89xx
    Curlykae89xx Posts: 22 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    No I have been weight lifting for almost 2 years now. I just meant to reach target before waiting to concentrate on toning and shape change alone with no further weight loss x
  • MalcolmX1983
    MalcolmX1983 Posts: 214 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Edit, schmedit.
  • randomtai
    Options
    No I have been weight lifting for almost 2 years now. I just meant to reach target before waiting to concentrate on toning and shape change with no further weight loss x

That makes no sense.
  • serenityfrye
    serenityfrye Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I noticed mine was significantly reduced when I started heavy lifting and leaned out as well. I don't know what your current routine is but you could try working on core strength which will help you"suck it in," and make sure your hip flexors are well stretched as tight hips can give you a swayback posture that makes a tummy look poochy. Beyond that just keep working on bringing the body fat % down and eventually the tummy will lean out too.
  • Sassie_Lassie
    Sassie_Lassie Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    Whoever told you to wait for strength training was wrong. Start lifting yesterday.

Where did you see someone told her to wait for strength training??
  • randomtai
    Options

Read the OP.
  • Curlykae89xx
    Options
    Sorry why does it not make sense? If I had just being doing cardio all this time my skin and shape would be totally different from it is now. I'm talking about long term goal after reaching target weight.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I'd start adding in body weight training asap. Hydrate as much as possible (water, not other crap), and start exfoliating daily or as often as possible. It'll help, but it's going to take a lot of time and patience. You may never get rid of it all, but it will help. Adding muscles under your skin with core work will help more than anything. You'll probably also have to continue on a light diet for some time to reduce body fat percentage. I was told time and time again, get to maintenance then give it up to 2 years before considering surgery. The improvement in just the couple of months since I hit maintenance is noticeable. Hang in there!
  • MalcolmX1983
    MalcolmX1983 Posts: 214 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    No I have been weight lifting for almost 2 years now. I just meant to reach target before waiting to concentrate on toning and shape change with no further weight loss x

Surgery might be the only option, though sometimes it's just a letter of waiting for the skin to bounce back.
    Just depends on you and your body really.

Good job on the fat loss:)

What routine are you doing in terms of lifting weights?
    Do you work your core and abs?
  • Sassie_Lassie
    Options

Read the OP.

I did. A dozen times. Don't see that anywhere.
  • randomtai
    Options

Read the OP.

"Waiting to 'tone'" usually indicates a lack of strength training.
  • Curlykae89xx
    Options
    2 of my gym sessions each week usually involve strength training. That's why I have been able to make such an improvement on my legs and arms. Which I feel is now making my stomach look even more saggy
  • randomtai
    Options
    2 of my gym sessions each week usually involve strength training. That's why I have been able to make such an improvement on my legs and arms. Which I feel is now making my stomach look even more saggy

What routines are you doing? Your OP is kinda confusing when you say you are waiting to tone.
  • Curlykae89xx
    Options

Surgery might be the only option, though sometimes it's just a letter of waiting for the skin to bounce back.

I had been going a mix of sit ups, crunches. Kettle bell & Swiss ball exercises as well as using weights I think I need to concentrate on it specifically for a while. I've Also started running to get more body fat off xx
  • Sassie_Lassie
    Options

Read the OP.

Oh, my bad on not realizing that "waiting to tone" meant someone told her not to lift weights. I guess I need to read between the lines more. ;)
  • randomtai
    Options

Read the OP.

Oh, my bad on not realizing that "waiting to tone" meant someone told her not to lift weights. I guess I need to read between the lines more. ;)

Probably should.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I would start a progressive strength training program asap .
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options

I had been going a mix of sit ups, crunches. Kettle bell & Swiss ball exercises as well as using weights I think I need to concentrate on it specifically for a while. I've Also started running to get more body fat off xx

I think it might help if you start using an actual program. From what's posted it doesn't seem like you are and as a result your strength routine might not be very well balanced.

Some good beginners programs are:

Stronglifts 5x5
    Ice Cream Fitness 5x5
    Strong Curves
    New Rules of Lifting for women
    Starting Strength
  • katsoslim
    katsoslim Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Focus on core exercises like TONS of planks... Planks with leg lifts, side planks, planks into downward dog, squeezing planks.. Etc. ;) Have you tried a group class that focuses on core? I've heard great things about pilates and yoga from friends who've had loose stomachs or pouches after giving birth. Whatever you do, don't give up! :) You sound like you're well on your way to accomplishing your goals.