Wanting to buy HRM, would love advice

Options
I want to get a HRM. I don't need it to track steps/activity or much else.

My phone will track steps and routes, etc. and I have an old Garmin Forerunner 305 that I can use outside, but I don't have a foot pod to use when I am on the treadmill or doing zumba, etc, so it's not much use for tracking my heart rate for those activities. The foot pad is about the same price as a newer standalone basic HRM.

I'm fine with a chest strap and was looking at the Polar FT4 or Ft7 as a start, but then start to get overwhelmed with everything that is out there, so I figured this would be a good place to seek out some advice.

Many thanks.

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    You can get a Polar H7 on Amazon for about $40. That's just a chest strap, but it uses Bluetooth which means it will talk to your phone. You'll need an app to make sense of it if you go that route. If you do, your chest strap will not work with your Forerunner.

Wahoo and 4iiii both make chest straps that use Bluetooth and ANT+ which means they'll talk to your phone and your Garmin. They cost a bit more, but might be a better value depending how much you use the Garmin.
  • sparklyglitterbomb
    sparklyglitterbomb Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I don't use the Garmin much at all. I did years ago when I bought it (cycling, 3-day walk, etc) but just dug it out of the dusty box. I mostly wanted to use the HRM, but then found out it won't work on a treadmill for for other indoor cardio without the foot pod.

the chest strap alone might be an option, need to find something to securely hold my phone (none of my workout clothes currently have pockets that accommodate a smartphone.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I have a polar H4 and I love it but to be honest, I never use it. I used it a few times at crossfit and it ends up getting shut off because my wrists are bent in front rack position or something. I mean if you really want one I'd go for Polar, but to be honest you really don't need one.
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    You can't go wrong these days. If you're just using it for exercise you can pair a chest strap with your phone (make sure you get a Bluetooth HRM). There are many great apps for this. I personally like the zephyr chest strap(it has a rechargeable battery), but now I use the Garmin HRM Run that came with my Fenix 3 HR watch.

Many here (including me) will tell you that a wrist-based HR monitor works well for steady-state cardio, but not for much else. Chest straps are typically more accurate. Good luck!
  • Supercatie80
    Supercatie80 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    I was looking a while back and checked out consumer reports. The polar series is generally considered the most accurate on the market so that's what they use as a baseline. I didn't want the chest strap so I went with the fitbit charge hr which came in pretty close on accuracy if worn correctly (1-3" above the wrist bone).
  • MyFreakingNameIsScott
    MyFreakingNameIsScott Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Love the H7!
  • sparklyglitterbomb
    sparklyglitterbomb Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    thanks, everyone.. I appreciate the input!
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    With the H7 it will not only work with your phone, but also with most cardio equipment to display your heart rate on the machine. It will also control the level and resistance using the machines cardio settings.
  • pikselinka
    pikselinka Posts: 154 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I have has my FT7 for years and it's excellent and very precise. Battery lasts you for months at a time. I highly recommend. I use it for cardio training including running, hiking, even work when I know I will have a busy day. Also I recommend this model, because you don't need to carry your phone around with you. Just your Polar watch that comes with HRM.
  • solway190
    solway190 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have tried quite a few and by far my favourite is the Wahoo TickrX. I'm not a techy so had to buy a smart phone for it, I bought a Huawei, lowdest cost smart phone on the market, loaded the Wahoo app and have not looked back yet. The TickrX has some pretty clever bits using the phone to plot runs and rides, it also gives alot of HR data. Another function for the phone I find really useful with the TickrX is Elite HRV app, which is a sort of wellness test, that is it answers the question; well enough to train, or should it be a rest day. In the past I have had little fun with Suunto and Garmin, the Garmin I have tried in a number of different flavours, none of which were much use or reliable. The after sales for both of these companies is very poor. The Wahoo is a chest strap which uses Bluetooth v.4 and ANT+ so pairing has so far been automatic and almost instant. Battery life is supposed to be poor but I find replacing a battery every 7-8 weeks as acceptable, given the quality of information you get back.
  • powered85
    powered85 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Check out the scosche rhythm+.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    My Polar F6 watch & it's chest strap has been going for years. Changed the battery once in about 6 years I think despite average use 3 or more times a week. It's old school (analogue I think?) so it even works whilst swimming. Much more reliable than my newer TomTom Multisport which I use for GPS. The F6 calculates calories burned which some HRM don't do, for me that was an important feature. Some GPS watches give calories burned but only through mets tables calcs based on what activity you did whereas my Polar is accurate to me and my personal fitness/calorie burn.