Vitamin Suggestions

Options
cchapa08
cchapa08 Posts: 20 Member
edited May 2016 in Food and Nutrition
Hello,

I am very new to MFP (1 Week In) but I have a general question for everyone. I am not only trying to lose weight, but I am also just trying to overall become a more healthy individual. With that being said, I'd like to start taking vitamins. Does anyone have any suggestions for vitamins that might not only help me with my journey but that also just help with overall health? Any information would be greatly appreciated. I can do all the research possible, but hearing people's experience first hand and suggestions will be a HUGE help.

Thanks so much for any information given! :)

Replies

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Have your dr do blood work to see what you need.

I take D and calcium.
  • emmadonaldson95
    emmadonaldson95 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    For the majority of the population taking vitamins is a route to wasting a lot of money. Most people do not require these vitamins so essentially you pass them straight out in urine.
    If you're worried you're deficient in a vitamin visit your doctoe and get some tests done and they can advise you if there is anything worth spending your money on.
    If not just get a balanced diet and you will find you get plenty vitamins.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    I second the suggestion to see your doctor. Mine got me on vitamin D but after seeing my general diet didn't recommend a daily multivitamin. I'd say without a doctor input you could just be wasting money.
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    youtube.com/watch?v=5ODkZQ9JOaQ this came out 2 days ago. . good timing. I love Sci Show.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Nearly everyone in North America could use a little extra vitamin D. If you are a young woman of childbearing age, I also suggest Folic Acid, to prevent a particular type of birth defect. This defect occurs within the first few weeks of pregnancy before young women may not even be aware.
  • lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I donate blood regularly and my doc has recommended I take a multi w/iron and b vitamins as my b levels tend to be low. I take GNC's Women's Ultra Mega One Daily. When it's on sale I get it for about $12/bottle for a 60 day supply.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Why not a daily men's multivitamin?
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/One-A-Day-Multivitamin-Multimineral-Supplement-Men-s-Health-Formula-100-ct/932356
    Look for coupons on the one a day site.
    Simple blood work ran me upwards of $200 - just in case you choose that route.
    If it is not medically necessary, insurance does not pay for it.

• mallygirl420
    mallygirl420 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goals, sex and deficiencies. Depending on what I'm trying to do or if I'm traveling/not getting what I need in my food - I take various vitamins: I take a B-vitamin complex to help support my metabolism (weight loss), fish oils for healthy heart/hair/nails/skin, biotin for nails/hair, multivitamin (daily), zinc (If I'm traveling or if a lot of people are sick around me), magnesium (muscle support), vitamin D (daily).

Recently I've started adding Cytogreens (found at Supplement Superstore or Amazon) to get all my leafy green vitamins and aminos. It helps with my digestive track and makes me feel great, plus helps my body recover faster after a tough workout. I've also used the product Amazing Grass, which is similar.
  • mallygirl420
    mallygirl420 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Also, if you're getting vitamins, I've found the best place to buy is Sam's!
  • cchapa08
    cchapa08 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I appreciate all the feedback this far. I will definitely look into some of these options. I am trying to avoid the doctor unless absolutely necessary because I do not want to pay the doctor bill, because as JanetYellen said, it is not covered in my insurance as it is not medically necessary. Anyways, I am continuing research and any other suggestions are appreciated.

THANK YOU!
  • rhsdancer5
    rhsdancer5 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I agree most people to not need lots of vitamins. You can always have vitamin c but you probably get that from food every day. Look at the breakdown of what you get from food on the app and see what you need. Everyone is different based on your health and what you eat. I am a strong supporter of taking magnesium! It does so many great things!:)