I am skinny fat. Please help.

Options

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    My BMI is 23.0 and my body fat is 26.4. This means that I need to lower my body fat percentage to 23, right?

No.

They're 2 separate things.
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    aub6689 wrote: »
    BMI is supposed to approximate bodyfat, but it is very easily misclassified. It has high correlation for inactive adults in higher bmi range, but once someone lifts, bmi is unlikely to be a good representation of bodyfat.

It isn't supposed to approximate bodyfat at all. It is used instead of bodyfat because it is so easy to calculate (just need height and weight). BMI correlates fairly well with weight related issues. It isn't supposed to be an estimate of your bodyfat percentage.

If you need proof that it isn't meant to approximate bodyfat just think it through. BMI is a ratio of weight to height. Body builders can have bodyfat percentages of 4-5%. A 6' person would have to weigh 37 pounds to have a BMI of 5.

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educational/lose_wt/BMI/bmicalc.htm
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Look into recomp.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    BMI is supposed to approximate bodyfat, but it is very easily misclassified. It has high correlation for inactive adults in higher bmi range, but once someone lifts, bmi is unlikely to be a good representation of bodyfat.

BMI has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with bodyfat. There is no correlation between the two except perhaps by coincidence in the very obese. BMI is a simple number derived from one's height and weight. A 5'10, 160 lb. man would be at a BMI of 23 whether he was 7% BF or 30% BF. Obviously, the two would have a vastly different appearance and body composition.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Look into recomp.

Too slow.
    Would not do.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    MityMax96 wrote: »
    Look into recomp.

Too slow.
    Would not do.

Why? It would get her where she wants to be--no skinny fat. And she's not really overweight.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    MityMax96 wrote: »
    Look into recomp.

Too slow.
    Would not do.

Why? It would get her where she wants to be--no skinny fat. And she's not really overweight.

She's not really skinny fat either.

If OP ate a small deficit and did some heavy lifting, losing 10lbs would make a massive difference.
  • aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

BMI has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with bodyfat. There is no correlation between the two except perhaps by coincidence in the very obese. BMI is a simple number derived from one's height and weight. A 5'10, 160 lb. man would be at a BMI of 23 whether he was 7% BF or 30% BF. Obviously, the two would have a vastly different appearance and body composition.

Actually BMi is used to approximate body fat frequently in epidemiologic studies because the two are highly correlated in upper BMI categories on population level data. As an individual measurement this approximation does poorly, but the 7% bf individual is usually the exception not the rule.
  • SkinnyFatBGone
    SkinnyFatBGone Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    zimamax wrote: »
    So here are a few things about me.

Female
    5'9
    156 lbs
    26.4 percent body fat

I want to lose 20 lbs, mostly fat hopefully, and then tone up.

I work out everyday doing 95 percent cardio. Should I start doing other exercises?

Btw, I can't cook so I eat out everyday. (Exactly why I'm skinny fat.)

I am also 5'9 but 145. You post reminds me of where I was at one point. Weights girl. Weights and patience and you will get there. Cardio alone will not get you there.

You're where I want to be.... weight wise.

The only problem I have with lifting weights is I heard that they make your boobs bigger. I want smaller boobies.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights will not make you have bigger boobs.

Definitely, lift heavy and have patience.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

Female
    5'9
    156 lbs
    26.4 percent body fat

I work out everyday doing 95 percent cardio. Should I start doing other exercises?

I am also 5'9 but 145. You post reminds me of where I was at one point. Weights girl. Weights and patience and you will get there. Cardio alone will not get you there.

The only problem I have with lifting weights is I heard that they make your boobs bigger. I want smaller boobies.

... how would that be physically possible when boobs are made of fat tissue and not muscle?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options

Female
    5'9
    156 lbs
    26.4 percent body fat

You're not going to wake up with bigger boobs. You would have to put a lot of dedicated, progressive effort into pectoral exercises to make these muscles bigger.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options

Female
    5'9
    156 lbs
    26.4 percent body fat

Weight lifting has nothing to do with breast size. Breasts are fat and glandular tissue. Your genetics determine the amount of fat you store there which is what determines the size of your breasts.

• SkinnyFatBGone
    Options
    Thank you all for responding. Please add me as a friend.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

Female
    5'9
    156 lbs
    26.4 percent body fat

Rest assured, lifting weights will not enlarge your breast size.

Where did you hear that? I am really curious as I have never in my life heard that.
  • denelifet
    denelifet Posts: 27 Member
    Options
  • SkinnyFatBGone
    Options
    A really flat chested friend who does crossfit. At 31, she could literally still fit training bras before crossfit.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    A really flat chested friend who does crossfit. At 31, she could literally still fit training bras before crossfit.

She grew pecs not boobs.
  • SkinnyFatBGone
    Options
    denelifet wrote: »
    71lx2fr9joo1.jpg

My upper body is like the 6'1 lady and lower body is like the 5'8 lady. I want hips like the 5'10 lady. Lol.