vsl#3

Options
RachelElser
RachelElser Posts: 427 Member
I attended a nutrition presentation last night and the presenter mentioned a study about vsl#3 helping people lose weight. In know it is used to treat other things but has anyone on it noticed weight loss? It's stupid expensive but I think I will try it and see if I lose weight at an accelerated rate.

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Please don't. Eat at a calorie deficit to lose weight. Anything advertised as a weight loss accelerator either doesn't work or is dangerous for you to take.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »
    Please don't. Eat at a calorie deficit to lose weight. Anything advertised as a weight loss accelerator either doesn't work or is dangerous for you to take.

What he said
  • RachelElser
    Options
    it's actually a probiotic and is used to treat ibs and ulcers. The presenter has been a nurse for over 40 years and is very respected. I've done a lot of research into it and it's as safe as any other probotic, but all the research is about treating ulcers and ibs, with weight loss as an intended side effect, not just weight loss alone.
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    It also says to check with your doctor first and that it should be used under medical supervision. I would not proceed without that and I don't think given the possible side effects that I would take it.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    First of all, you aren't going to lose weight because you're taking a probiotic. The calories you eat don't suddenly disappear because you have extra gut flora.

Secondly, VSL # 3 should only be taken under medical supervision.

Go to your local store, buy a probiotic if you must. Eat a calorie deficit. Win.

Do I need a prescription to buy VSL#3-DS Sachets?

Although the FDA does not mandate that patients obtain a prescription for medical foods, Sigma-Tau requires a prescription for VSL#3 DS. We are dedicated to the safety, health and wellness of our patients. As a high potency probiotic medical food, VSL#3 manages the serious digestive disorders of IBS, ulcerative colitis and an ileal pouch and is intended to be used under medical supervision as per the FDA’s criteria.

Sigma-Tau believes that obtaining a prescription and complying with their physician’s instructions will ensure that patients achieve the best possible outcome from therapy, and will help to prevent any self-diagnosis, self-medicating, confusion in consumption and dosage, and infrequent follow up with a medical professional.

Are VSL#3 and VSL#3-DS FDA approved drugs?

No. VSL#3 and VSL#3-DS are high potency probiotic medical foods that should only be used under medical supervision. As VSL#3-DS contains 900 billion bacteria, it requires a prescription to obtain it.
  • RachelElser
    Options
    yes, that all makes sense- I will not be taking it. I am making pretty good progress without it. Thanks for everyone's opinion!! :)