The photo that made it click

Options
Tanukiko
Tanukiko Posts: 186 Member
edited May 2016 in Getting Started
I have yoyo'd my entire life.

I got pretty fit when I moved to a new city 6 years ago and felt pretty good at 176. After I met my now husband i didnt work out as much and when I started grad school I stress ate myself to 225 lbs! We got engaged and after I saw the engagement photos I was shocked how big I looked. So I got to working out and lost 40 lbs for our wedding on the ketogenic diet. I felt great. This was in August 2014.

After my wedding we lost a pregnancy and I got very depressed. My husband was working long hours so I turned to food. By August of 2015 I balooned right back up to 225lbs. I felt miserable. I stopped doing the fun outdoor activities I used to love. None of my clothes fit and I found myself wearing yoga pants and the same loose skirt every single day. Working from home made it easy to ignore my expanding waistline.

I started the ketogenic diet again and lost about 15 lbs but I jusy couldnt sustain that way of eating. The thought of avoiding carbs forever depressed me and would lead to binges.

I started to feel hopeless that I would never lose the weight because I really believed that low carb was the only way that I could control my appetite enough to create a deficit.

Then I went to California at the end of April this year for vacation and when I saw the photos (that's me in the middle) something clicked. I hated the way I looked! I felt that I looked older than my age. Something had to change! I had to find a way to lose the extra fat but do it in a way that I could sustain for the rest of my life.

So I have put myself on a 1500 calorie meal plan and I eat everything! We started ordering Blue Apron so I dont have to stress about what's for dinner. And so far so good! I also started weightlifting and some cardio.

I've been at it for almost 3 weeks and I've lost about 5lbs. I have 65 more to go but I finally dont feel afraid of food. After fearing carbs for years I allow
myself to eat anything I want. I didnt realize how depressing it was to avoid carbs all the time.

Anyway wish me luck! I have a long journey ahead but I know I can do it!

SW 215
CW 210
GW 145
38dqjvct372y.jpeg

Replies

• katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I had a similar "epiphany" type of photo that kicked me into gear about a year ago, and now I'm down almost 50 lbs. Sounds like you are on a great path. Keep up the good work!
  • Tanukiko
    Tanukiko Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Thank you @katharmonic! Great job btw!
  • Arwen1218
    Arwen1218 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine who has lost over 60 lbs with the aid of MFP told me that depriving yourself if the things you want is the worst way to start eating healthy. I have a big problem with sugar and salty snacks. So whenever I'm craving them I eat them in moderation just to get a taste..if I'm still hungry then I turn to a more healthy and filling snack like fresh veg, fruit, cheese or nuts... It or a combo of them. This helps me fulfill my cravings and still keep me on track. Welcome and good luck!! Add me if you want