Advice, suggestions,plans

Options
Hi.

I've been trying to gain weight since December I use to weight around 93 pounds when I first started this never ending journey. I decided years ago to enlist but wanted to finish what I started with school. I started off by talking to army which required me to be at 99 to 100 pounds; so one day/ night before I went to swear in I packed a tote bag full of food got 2 gallons of water and basically eat myself sick in hopes I would come close enough for a waiver.although I didn't come close I only got to 96 that day I was sent back till I build up weight. After a long talk with my mom best friend and family I decided to go with my heart and my first choice of branches and switch to enlist with the Marines. The every same day I got sent home my brother and family were at home and gifted me some mass gainers, since then I've been using them daily or bi- daily. The Marines require me to be at 107 for weight; I did eventually get to 105-106 and was sent in for evaluation but the day of i got sick in the morning threw up figured I'd do what I did last time and gain one or two pounds to be good and unfortunately what I gained that day I threw up on the bus right before we got in the building. I have a high metabolism and my weight fluctuates dramatically at times. I up my mass gainer to a 1250 calories shake and log my meals. I need help advice on how I can can the weight and maintain it or prevent the fluctuating. Right now the past 2-3 days I've been at 105-106.4 but before I had dropped to 104. I recently signed up for a gym to do strength training in hopes it helps. I would greatly appreciate any advice, workout plans , or anything I can try to help I'm a female with a height of 5'3.

Replies

• xHarrySims
    xHarrySims Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hey bro. I been doing this for almost two years, gained 30lbs of muscle. First of all, take your body weight in lbs and multiply it by 17. This will give you the amount of calories your body needs a day to maintain your weight. Now add 500, this is what you should be consuming everyday to gain weight. In order to keep the weight gained, you need to put the extra calories in your system to use. So do some calisthenics such as push ups pullups dips crunches etc, just to tear some muscle fibres and add some long term weight. If you stick to this you should see a gradual increase, and yes your weight will fluctuate and that is due to many factors, such as the amount of food currently in your body, the amount of sodium in your body and the amount of water consumed, the more sodium the more water your body can hold. For some foods with good calorie and protein content, eat oatmeal with skimmed milk, mass gainer in skimmed milk, scrambled eggs, whole meal bread, Greek yoghurt. Another good one is coconut oil, 100 calories per tablespoon, so easy to add to meals. Hope this helps bro, any questions ask me :D
  • wrathofpascal
    wrathofpascal Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    xHarrySims wrote: »
    Hey bro. I been doing this for almost two years, gained 30lbs of muscle. First of all, take your body weight in lbs and multiply it by 17. This will give you the amount of calories your body needs a day to maintain your weight. Now add 500, this is what you should be consuming everyday to gain weight. In order to keep the weight gained, you need to put the extra calories in your system to use. So do some calisthenics such as push ups pullups dips crunches etc, just to tear some muscle fibres and add some long term weight. If you stick to this you should see a gradual increase, and yes your weight will fluctuate and that is due to many factors, such as the amount of food currently in your body, the amount of sodium in your body and the amount of water consumed, the more sodium the more water your body can hold. For some foods with good calorie and protein content, eat oatmeal with skimmed milk, mass gainer in skimmed milk, scrambled eggs, whole meal bread, Greek yoghurt. Another good one is coconut oil, 100 calories per tablespoon, so easy to add to meals. Hope this helps bro, any questions ask me :D

Same BS again Harry?
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Ignore xHarrySims. His methodology is 100% inaccurate. Ultimate bro-science (aka BS). Eat at a caloric surplus is good, but weightx17 is wrong and will get you fat before you get lean&muscular.

How to actually gain:
    Calculate your TDEE on google - this is how many calories to eat to MAINTAIN your weight.
    1 pound = 3500 calories. If we divide this by 7 days, it becomes 500 calories a day. To gain 1lb per week, eat your TDEE + 500 calories (and conversely to lose 1lb/week, eat TDEE-500 calories).

Do this while lifting - you are fueling your body with optimal nutrients to grow muscle and some fat. If you go over 3500 calories a week, you may gain too much fat. Don't rush it, slow and steady and consistency will get you where you want to be.