Losing weight very quickly during break from gym?

Options
Hi everyone, some of you may remember my post about having surgery and having to take a break from my routine for a few weeks to recover. Before surgery I was getting up at 5am everyday to go to the gym for 45 mins cardio, strength training 2 times a week and was eating around 1500-1600 a day. Also walking around 2 hours a day. I was losing weight quickly at first but it slowed down to around 0.5lb a week for two weeks before my break.

Since my break from gym I've been losing weight faster. I try to stick to 1200 a day but often it is closer to around 1300 and there have certainly been days I have eaten more than that. However, for example, I weighed 57.95kg on Sunday and already this morning am exactly 57kg. I have been weighing as normal, in the morning no clothes and after toilet etc. I am not complaining about the loss but I am curious. I still walk for 2 hours a day because I choose to leave the car at home to get some excercise! Could I be losing muscle mass that quickly? (Not that I would have a lot!)

My stats if anyone is curious:

Female
5'3
57kg / 125.6lbs as of this morning
Goal is 115kg I think!

I am unable to return to the gym just yet but what are your thoughts on when I can? Thanks everyone.

Replies

• lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Nothing but water weight
  • amiwills
    amiwills Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Nothing but water weight

How come? My break from gym started 2 weeks ago by the way
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I'm going to say that maybe because the body is healing and recovering, that it may be spending more calories than normal to get you back into a normal and healthy status. :) I'm not entirely sure if I'm right about that, but I do know from a bit of nursing school that the body works extra to heal itself. So maybe this is it? Not entirely sure lol
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Surgery often causes a certain amount of water retention.

Also previously you were working out an extra x 2 a week but eating 1500-1600 cals each day. Now the only difference is you are not doing the x2 workouts but have dropped your intake to 1200-1300.

Your intake is 300 less per day every day now, but you were, estimating from your current weight, only burning those extra 300 cals x2 a week.
    Basically you have reduced your weekly intake by 1500 cals.

I may be reading your post incorrectly, but you have a greater deficit now than you did pre-surgery despite having to drop some workouts.

Cheers, h.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    amiwills wrote: »
    Hi everyone, some of you may remember my post about having surgery and having to take a break from my routine for a few weeks to recover.[...]
    I am unable to return to the gym just yet but what are your thoughts on when I can? Thanks everyone.

Ask your doctor about returning to the gym. Don't listen to anyone giving such advice over the internet. Best wishes.
  • amiwills
    amiwills Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Hi everyone, some of you may remember my post about having surgery and having to take a break from my routine for a few weeks to recover.[...]

Ask your doctor about returning to the gym. Don't listen to anyone giving such advice over the internet. Best wishes.

Oops should have made that clearer. I meant, going back to cardio 7 days a week or only do strength training. That kind of thing!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

Oops should have made that clearer. I meant, going back to cardio 7 days a week or only do strength training. That kind of thing!

No worries.

When you get the all-clear from the doctor, I'd suggest a bit of both, if it's something you'll enjoy.

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    It would be o.k. to increase you calories to maintenance while you are healing. The body needs more calories during that time.