Weekly/monthly gain for a clain bulk?

Options
Been bulking for a while. Didnt really seem to gain too much so i upped my calories now i gained 0.5 in a week which may be water weight but i think i look fatter as well. What should be the aim of an average gain of weight in a month without gaining too much fat?

Replies

• fadiyousif171
    fadiyousif171 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating at the moment?:
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Been bulking for a while. Didnt really seem to gain too much so i upped my calories now i gained 0.5 in a week which may be water weight but i think i look fatter as well. What should be the aim of an average gain of weight in a month without gaining too much fat?

If you are gaining .5 lbs per week... you shouldn't change anything. Just make sure you follow a progressive lifting program.
  • larsminnaar
    larsminnaar Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

If you are gaining .5 lbs per week... you shouldn't change anything. Just make sure you follow a progressive lifting program.

Sorry that was kilograms so thats like 1lb i guess

@fadi 3600
  • psuLemon
    Options

@fadi 3600

You can taper it down by 250 caloriea if you want to lean bulk. Are you following a structured lifting program?
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    The common recommendation is 1-2lbs (.5-1kg) per month.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    So you gained a pound in a week. Big deal. Things even out, especially if you are logging a very careful 250 calorie surplus.
  • larsminnaar
    Options

@fadi 3600

You can taper it down by 250 caloriea if you want to lean bulk. Are you following a structured lifting program?

Did stronglifts before quit gym for a while and have been doing a consistent 5 day split for nearly 4 months. Since my big lifts are already around the level of the end of stronglifts its not the right program. Any advanced program you can recommend?
  • psuLemon
    Options

@fadi 3600

Did stronglifts before quit gym for a while and have been doing a consistent 5 day split for nearly 4 months. Since my big lifts are already around the level of the end of stronglifts its not the right program. Any advanced program you can recommend?

If you are still making progress, then you can keep with your program. Otherwise, pick one of these: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • joncooper1980
    joncooper1980 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    You've put on a pound and you look fatter??!!

What is your total gain for the time you have been bulking?
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    1-2 lbs a month. Closer to 1 if you're more seasoned.
  • MalcolmX1983
    MalcolmX1983 Posts: 214 Member
    Options

I suggest in addition to weighing yourself, that you use a tape measure and get the numbers for your waist, hips, arms, shoulders, chest etc.

Weigh and measure yourself once a week and adjust your calories based on the results.

Start with a surplus of 200-250 cals and take it from there.
  • larsminnaar
    Options

I suggest in addition to weighing yourself, that you use a tape measure and get the numbers for your waist, hips, arms, shoulders, chest etc.

Weigh and measure yourself once a week and adjust your calories based on the results.

Thanks. Measuring myself monthly with a tape measure.

Ive reduced my calories by 100 and gained 0.3kg this week which was more to my satisfaction.