macros?

Options
Hi everyone!!! I just had a question about macros. I'm just confused why some people count or watch them? would it quicken your fat loss? thanks y'all!!

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    shmem_96 wrote: »
    Hi everyone!!! I just had a question about macros. I'm just confused why some people count or watch them? would it quicken your fat loss? thanks y'all!!

no. because by counting macros you are also counting total calorie intake.

I do think it's important, however, to ensure that you're receiving adequate fat, protein, and enough carbohydrates to provide you the full spectrum of micro-nutrients.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    It can lead to slightly fast fat loss, but the rate of weight loss would be the same. Essentially, ensuring you get enough protein will help ensure you retain more muscle while losing weight, meaning the difference comes from more fat loss.

Say you don't get much protein and lose 10 lbs, 4 lbs may be lean mass, while 6 lbs would be fat, getting enough protein (and doing some lifting) that same 10 lb loss may lead to 2lbs of lean mass loss and 8 lbs of fat loss.
    Same total weight loss, but higher % from fat with enough protein.

On top of body composition, getting enough fat is important as it helps with many things, vitamin and mineral absorption, digestive heath, healthy nails, hair, skin, etc.
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Yes, adjusting your macros will optimize your weight loss. It also gives your body the resources that it needs to perform optimally. Most of the time, it's helping people to get their protein up, which helps in fat loss, keeps you fuller, and helps protect your muscle mass as you diet down. Of course, sticking to an appropriate calorie goal is most of your weight loss, but watching your macros gives you that extra push :)
  • hhazzouri
    hhazzouri Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Coz you need enough protein to maintain your muscles
  • VitaSh
    VitaSh Posts: 113 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Has a lot to do with your goals in body composition. For example, a low protein diet is probably not the best for muscle retention and building and a leaner body etc. (I'm talking about healthy ppl who don't have much restrictions). Calories are most important but a certain macronutrient breakdown that's right for you and your body and goals is just as important imo.