Squatting for dat *kitten*

emz_1993
emz_1993 Posts: 96 Member
How many sets and reps should I do and how heavy to achieve the best *kitten* I've ever had? I use the leg press 60 kilos 3x10 and adductor machine at 45 kilos 5x20 at the gym and have seen great results but I always hear so much about squatting so I'd like to give it a go! I'm a newbie when it comes to lifting so be kind of these are way off! What can I do for maximum results in the glutes?

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    I don't know what you mean by kitten, but any good, full-body strength program works the glutes well, like NROL4W or Stronglifts. Don't create your own program if you're a newbie. :+1:
  • rldeclercq4
    rldeclercq4 Posts: 269 Member
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    I don't know what you mean by kitten, but any good, full-body strength program works the glutes well, like NROL4W or Stronglifts. Don't create your own program if you're a newbie. :+1:

MFP censors swearing with "kitten" - what she's saying is she wants a great *kitten*. I can't help with that
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Squats, good mornings, dead lifts, lunges, hip thrust, donkey kicks. Essentially you just need to do compound leg exercises.

Also, have good genetics. That's the most important part.
  • MalcolmX1983
    MalcolmX1983 Posts: 214 Member
    edited May 2016
    What he/she/it ^ said.

Mix up your reps as well, heavy sets 3-6 reps
    6-10, even 10-20 reps sometimes.

Squats, lunges and deadlifts with a bar.

Or jus follow a routine like 5x5.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Check out Strong Curves (book) for a lifting program that is dedicated to building a fine *kitten*. Squats are great, but only so-so at glute activation. Deadlifts & weighted hip thrusts are both better in that department.
  • lizzelspark
    lizzelspark Posts: 178 Member
    Look up Layne Norton his squat video it's great !! Lunges are great body weight and with weights weighted hip thrusts I love going heavy on everything I feeling like I know I worked it :) there's so many videos out there to get the form right which is the most important thing you don't want to injure yourself . Amanda Latona , Ashley horner , Heidi somers are good ones to follow on there booty workouts
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    hill8570 wrote: »
    Check out Strong Curves (book) for a lifting program that is dedicated to building a fine *kitten*. Squats are great, but only so-so at glute activation. Deadlifts & weighted hip thrusts are both better in that department.

^This. Definitely check out anything Bret Contreras.
  • LucyLovely
    LucyLovely Posts: 15 Member
    Can the exercises in Strong Curves be done at home or do you need to go to the gym?
  • weightsnbakes
    weightsnbakes Posts: 34 Member
    If you've never squatted before, start with body weight squats. It's important that you learn the form before you get under the bar, to prevent injury to yourself. Google "body weight squat", or "goblet squat" as a beginner squat exercise. Gradually, you'll learn the movement and then you can get under the bar. Good luck!
  • workhardtogethard
    workhardtogethard Posts: 49 Member

MFP censors swearing with "kitten" - what she's saying is she wants a great *kitten*. I can't help with that

I was sorely confused by OP's post, wondering if kitten was supposed to be code for something that rhymes with wussy. Wasn't until I read her last sentence that it began to make sense.