How accurate are various fitness trackers - handy link

Hi, just found this interesting - it evaluates fitbits and other trackers, so you can see what they have a tendency to estimate.
I just use the world's most basic pocket step counter and the simple computer on my spin bike, then Charity Miles when I am out, it's enough info to keep me motivated and ( I hope )realistic, but I see the appeal of the more hi-tech approach!

http://www.bicycling.com/training/gear/how-accurate-is-your-wearables-calorie-count?cid=NL_BIK_-_05202016_&smartcode=YN_0023033911_0001553567

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    This appears to be saying that if you have any of those wearables and trust it to tell you what the upper limit of your daily calories can be, you will stay in a calorie deficit if you take the wearable off for charging and the special activity isn't eating food.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    I have a wrist watch with GPS and other stuff in it; I don't take mine off for "special activities" or the shower. Probably charge it once a week. The truth is walking does not constitute the bulk of my exercise, so it's not a problem for me to have my walking calories slightly under counted; I want good data on long bike rides, hikes, and runs.