How do YOU drink 8 glasses of water a day?

Options

Replies

• enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I drink a ton of water. I hated it for the first 6 months of trying to drink more water and then one day I just wanted only water. Now I stick with water, a daily coffee, and a very occasional unsweet tea.
  • km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options
    I have a 16 ounce water bottle I try to fill 4 times a day. I love water, so I don't usually have an issue with drinking enough. but work gets busy sometimes and I forget.
  • MalcolmX1983
    MalcolmX1983 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I used to have this problem.
    I downloaded a water app to remind me.
    Just like logging food here, I log my water intake.
    I first set my daily goal as 2litres.
    Now I'm drinking 4 litres a day.
    I fill up bottles and leave them everywhere.
    1.5 litre bottles are really good, three of them a day is good enough.
    My skin is looking much better these days as well.
  • Meesamoop
    Meesamoop Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I bought a 750ml water bottle and it is with me all day long. If I go run errands it is in the car with me, it sits on my desk at work, etc.

If I realize that I've been slacking on drinking my water from it I just grab it and chug chug chug!

Also, the water you use for tea or coffee counts towards your daily intake.
  • sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I drink when I am thirsty. No need to work to a #. My pee tells me I am hydrated.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I usually chug water. I get thirsty and I'll chug down anywhere from 8 - 20 oz at a time. If I'm sipping something it's going to be tea or wine. I never track how much water I drink but I'm sure it's more then 64 oz most days.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    ElvenToad wrote: »
    nwcj3de95dza.jpg

This isn't always accurate though. Vitamins or medications may change the color of urine without affecting hydration.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Water from the taps here isn't safe to drink, so we buy our drinking and cooking water.
    Strangely I drink more water having a large bottle of spring water and a glass nearby at all times than when we had potable tap water flowing.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,066 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    -- 2-3 cups of plain coffee (approx. 400 ml each)
    -- 1-2 cups of plain tea (approx. 400 ml each)
    -- 750 ml bottle of plain water
    -- 1 litre of Coke Zero

Total: 3350 ml ... 13.4 cups of "water" a day. :)

More if I go cycling.

Any less than that and my feet cramp.

You forgot to add all the water in your food. Unless everything you eat is extremely dry.

Well, I don't eat soups and stuff like that very often, however I suppose there would be liquid in fruits and veggies.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options
    ElvenToad wrote: »
    nwcj3de95dza.jpg
    This isn't always accurate though. Vitamins or medications may change the color of urine without affecting hydration.

You beat me to it. B vitamins do change the color of urine.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Any iphone users use an app to track water consumption? My OH passed a kidney stone last month and is struggling to increase his water consumption. I thought reminders on his phone would be good.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    I drink when I am thirsty. No need to work to a #. My pee tells me I am hydrated.

For many of us, thirst cues lag behind need for water.
  • kandeye
    kandeye Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Not everyone's water needs are the same. Some need more, some need less depending on so many factors. For example I live in the desert so I drink quit a bit, especially now that it's warmer. You'll dehydrate pretty fast here. When I lived in the Alaskan rainforest I can say I honestly don't remember drinking much water at all. The environment was so wet, even going on long hikes or exerting myself at work I hardly ever felt thirsty. Living in the extremes has taught me that the whole 8 cups a day is bollocks. Just find your need.
  • getfit_fritch26
    getfit_fritch26 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have a 28 oz tervis that I bring to work with me. I fill it up 3 times during work (minimum), I usually drink about 2 decaf/unsweetened green teas, and then one big unsweet tea from McDonald's on my way home...then 28 oz in the evening.

I try to drink about 100 oz though...as 64 is the absolute minimum you should have.

Also try putting stuff in it! I LOVE unsweet cranberry and lemon juice in my water, delicious!
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I have a tumbler that holds 24 oz of water and I aim to drink 3 of those every day. I use the sugar free powder packets, otherwise there's no way I'd get enough water in. A buy a flavor with caffeine and also non-caffeine flavors to drink later in the day. Usually by the time I leave work at 6 I'm close to being finished with my 2nd thing of water.
  • donjtomasco
    donjtomasco Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    How Do Eat An Elephant?
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I do have to make myself drink 8-10 cups of water each day because I eat a lot of fiber every day so... yeah... I won't go any further than that one lol.

So to make sure I drink that amount, I do resort to using sugar-free flavoring. It's not the best option really but if I don't use it, I risk not drinking enough because after a while the taste of plain water just really turns me off. So I just account for the additional 30 or so calories a day that the flavoring adds and I get in my water.
  • tinamarie6624
    tinamarie6624 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I take 4 16.9 oz bottles to work. One that is frozen and cold for sipping throughout the day and the other 3 are room temperature which I chug down in about 30 seconds each. Isn't all that nice but it does the trick. By the time I leave work I have over 64 oz drank. If I am thirst at night I can sometimes add 2 bottles at home.
  • khhregister
    khhregister Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I bought a couple large glass water bottles from ello so I always have one clean each day (the other one is in the dishwasher). Having a lovely drinking vessel makes it so much nicer! I take it with me to the gym, and drink at least one during my workout. I drink one with lunch, and one with dinner. That's ~66 oz, or almost 2 L. Additionally, I'll have a cup of coffee in the morning, and one or two cups of tea during the day.

I've also learned over the years that it's much easier for me to drink a lot of room-temperature water. If I try to drink very cold water, my throat feels constricted and I want to stop after a couple of small swallows. YMMV.
  • jessicalott35
    jessicalott35 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I bring a liter of water with me to work every day. I need more than 64 oz's of water a day, so I feel it up about 3 times a day. I used to be the worst with drinking water, but having it in hands reach at my desk has been what has helped me. Plus I quit smoking and used to be a big Diet Coke drinker. Drinking Diet Coke is a smoking trigger for me, so I just stick to my water.