Uncomfortable w/ lower calories?

Options
kiela64
kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
edited May 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
So I started on here last year at about this time. I was eating about 1300-1400 cal (as measured in cups so probably a bit more than that). I was perfectly comfortable on that amount. I lost 16lbs in 4 months & was very pleased!

In October I had a knee injury & I lost my hold on school. I had to drop classes and I was just constantly overwhelmed. I stopped tracking & started eating poorly again. I gained most of it back or more.

In January I tried going to 1600 cal but it was very hard! And when school got stressful again I stopped tracking & ate poorly again.

Now I've tried to track and just stay in my maintenance range because I just want to stop gaining weight! But even after 1900 cal I'll still feel hungry or uncomfortable. I find that astounding after being so comfortable on 1400 just one year ago.

Things I know I need to do are - get a food scale, start cooking some of my own food especially lunches so I'm not relying on leftovers/the food court at school, know more about the ingredients in the suppers at home, address emotional eating, and just eat less!

But it's weirdly so much harder than it was before - has anyone else had this experience?

Replies

• benzieboxx
    benzieboxx Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    It sounds like this is more of an emotional thing, like you've stated. The problem with emotional eating is that when we stop doing it we haven't always figured out something else to relieve our stress. So you're kind of left with that hungry feeling because you want to fill that void with food. At least that's how it was for me in the beginning. I've since picked up some hobbies that I dabble in when I get stressed, like coloring.

When school gets tough for me I don't track as accurately as I should because I'm already so scatter brained from homework and assignments. I just try to eat at maintenance and leave it at that. It sounds like you should take a step back and address this emotional eating and maybe not beat yourself up too much. :)
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    if you eat a lot of carbs you will feel hungry more often. i eat 1200 to 1500 cals and rarely feel hungry. i do low carbs, more good fats and protein. try it
  • llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Check your nutrition setting g and make sure you are getting all your Protein and fat each day. Have you weaned yourself off of the bad sugar addiction? @kae612
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,014 Member
    Options
    I agree with @benzieboxx. I think that it is more emotional eating that is your problem. Are you able to exercise with the knee injury? While exercise is not necessary for weight loss it can be a good stress release. Have you tried walking? I often find that a nice long walk when I'm feeling "hungry" or rather "bored" can help a lot. It distracts me from wanting to eat plus it is a good way to relieve stress. If you aren't able to walk then maybe try swimming? I never worry about eating carbs and just mostly eat whatever I want that fits in my calorie goal, but I do find that it helps me stay full if I get plenty of protien and fiber.