FitBit and MapMyRun counting runs twice?

Options
sisu89
sisu89 Posts: 38 Member
Hello!

I just started using MapMyRun in conjunction with MFP and my FitBit. I've noticed that when I go to the exercise page on FitBit, my run will show up twice; once from MapMyRun, and once from Fitbit itself detecting activity. I'm worried that the calories I burn are being counted twice and imported to MFP, distorting my calorie goal each day.

Does anyone know how to solve this? The only solution I can see is to go back and delete the extra exercise from my MFP.

Thanks!

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Take your fitbit off when you run, or don't use MMR.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Is it an extra exercise in MFP or on Fitbit?

It may be that you've earned a calorie adjustment in addition to your run, if you're seeing this on MFP. Deleting the MapMyRun generated entry would cause the Fitbit adjustment to increase by that number of calories, if that were the case. If you're getting duplicates on Fitbit, it might just be a syncing issue. I'd try syncing the Fitbit device to your computer and then refreshing your screen and seeing if that takes care of the duplicate entries.
  • sisu89
    Options
    Oh man, but if I do that, I either miss steps on my FitBit (and I enjoy competing in challenges with friends), or don't get a reliable read on my distance!

I get the duplicates on my FitBit app. I just went in and deleted the MMR entries in my MFP diary and the fitbit adjustment was automatic. Before I started using MMR, an "average" day like yesterday would've maybe given me 3-400 calories, not 800 like I got yesterday. Maybe I need to give the GPS tracking another try on my FitBit app. The last time I tried it, it was totally wrong, though.
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I have this same problem. I think if you were to unlink MMR to Fitbit and MFP it would solve the problem. I haven't gotten around to trying it yet though.
  • sisu89
    Options
    AigreDoux wrote: »
    I have this same problem. I think if you were to unlink MMR to Fitbit and MFP it would solve the problem. I haven't gotten around to trying it yet though.

Oh, good idea! I just disconnected it from everything. I guess having everything connected isn't always the solution haha!
  • anthonyakin
    anthonyakin Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The issue is somewhere between mapmyrun and MyFitnessPal. If you'll notice the activity start time will be different, which creates multiple entries. Example MMR will show a activity start time of 7:30 and MFP will show 8:30. If both times are the same, MFP and FitBit know they are the same event and it's not recreated. Still not sure how to solve...
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    The issue is somewhere between mapmyrun and MyFitnessPal. If you'll notice the activity start time will be different, which creates multiple entries. Example MMR will show a activity start time of 7:30 and MFP will show 8:30. If both times are the same, MFP and FitBit know they are the same event and it's not recreated. Still not sure how to solve...

The issues lays that Fitbit is sync'd with MyFitnessPal, and MapMyRun is Linked to MyFitnessPal. Fitbit is pushing the data to MFP and MMR is pushing the data to MFP.

Same thing will happen if I link my Garmin device for steps, and Strava for activity. Strava will push the data for the workout and Garmin will push the same activity.

I cut Strava from linking to MFP and the problem solved itself.
  • jmarie1025
    jmarie1025 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Just disconnect mmr and Fitbit. You could still use mmr if you wanted. It'll just be used seperately from Fitbit.
    You can leave mfp connected to Fitbit as mfp doesn't auto recognize activity. As you accumulate steps throughout the day it will send them to mfp and you will get a calorie bonus. Personally I don't eat back calories so I ignore it.