How to lose weight with limited exercise?

Options
I just left the doctors with a broken toe and they advised me not to exercise. I'm used to running or biking or something an hour 4-5 days a week. I'm going to be out for 4-6 weeks. How can I lose weight w/oexercise? Is now a good time to start a fast? I won't need the energy. I can prob continue my ab workout and to Pilates floor work. Any advice is appreciated!!

Replies

• jenniferwoodweeg
    jenniferwoodweeg Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you can do a variety of non-weight bearing exercise like you mentioned(at least no weight on that toe.) Otherwise, isn't a fast sort of drastic? I am sure your body needs the nutrients to heal that toe!
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    A fast?? Why would that be necessary? 80% of weight loss is about diet, you don't NEED to exercise to lose weight - I have done it without exercising as have many others. Just cut down your intake some.
  • BHKLEIN
    BHKLEIN Posts: 104
    Options
    Eat smaller portions with more protein to keep you full. Try nuts: they have lots of protein so they fill you up and keep you fuller longer. Drink lots of water. Get a flex belt. They don't help so much for losing weight but they keep you back and tummy firmer and stronger. Flex belts cost a bunch though. I don't suggest not eatting!!! You're more likely to binge and gain weight back in the long run.
  • LizAnn925
    LizAnn925 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    No, you don't need to fast which should be good news haha. At the beginning of the year, I suffered a pinched nerve, a knee injury, and a torn oblique and I ended up gaining a lot of weight. Eventually, though, I lost it again, so here is what you should do.

1) Eat as clean as you possibly can. Eat lots and lots and lots of vegetables and about 2 cups of mixed fruits every day! I can't stress this enough. Lay WAY off the processed foods, red meats, and most of all, sweets. All the extra sugar can easily turn into fat so watch your sugar intake on MFP and make sure it doesn't go over your daily recommendations. Stay away from the carbohydrates too, especially the processed ones! Eat brown rice, quinoa, and couscous instead of pastas, breads, and white rice. Stick to lean proteins like chicken, turkey, fish, and tofu. Protein is going to be your friend here - you can't really gain a ton of weight from protein. Your body needs protein and it will most likely utilize it as opposed to sugars and carbs.

2) Work out that upper body! Even though your foot is currently disabled, that doesn't mean you can't work out the upper body! If you don't already, start lifting some serious weights. You will burn some calories doing it, but more importantly, you will be burning calories after you lift and all day when you're doing nothing. Do 4-5 exercises for each muscle group - 4 to 5 bicep exercises, 4 to 5 tricep exercises, 4 to 5 shoulder exercises, and 4 to 5 chest exercises. You should do about 4-5 reps and 12-15 sets for each exercise! I will give some examples below. Also, it might be somewhat difficult but do abs as well. Laying on a yoga ball and doing crunches is always a good idea.

Monday: Biceps & Triceps
    *4 sets regular bicep curls
    *5 sets hammer curls
    *4 sets curl & twists
    *5 sets overhead tricep extension w/ weight

Tuesday: Shoulders
    *5 sets regular shoulder press
    *4 sets Arnold press
    *5 sets shoulder shrugs
    *5 sets lateral raises

That's just an idea of some of the things you can do, and you can do them all sitting down. Check out bodybuilding.com for some more ideas.

3) Downgrade your calorie consumption. Your body won't be needing many calories, so stick to the bare minimum (1200-1300 calories a day).

If you do all of this, you won't gain any weight, and you can still stay in shape! Hope this helps!
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I just left the doctors with a broken toe and they advised me not to exercise.

Think you need a new doctor if you're leaving with injuries (sorry couldnt resist)
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    You don't need to fast to lose weight. Just expend more calories than you take in.

So if you can't expend more... eat less. Eat your BMR - 25% if you're worried.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    You don't need to fast to lose weight. Just expend more calories than you take in.

So if you can't expend more... eat less. Eat your BMR - 25% if you're worried.

I hope you mean TDEE less a % .....

Anyway ... if you want cardio, try "seated exercise" ..... boxing, dancing, etc. There should be some videos on YouTube ..... or these DVD clips could give you a few ideas

http://www.collagevideo.com/exercise-videos/seated-exercise-exercise-videos-47
  • Philipv1
    Philipv1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Just punch in your current weight, and how many pounds you want to lose a week in the GOALS section. It will give you the calorie limit per day to lose that much per week. Stick to it, it works. Depending on your metabolism you may lose more, you may lose less. Adjust as needed. Exercising is just an additional way to lose weight, not the only means.
  • mg234080
    mg234080 Posts: 29
    Options
    I lost 20lbs in 4 wks by eliminating red meat, bread, rice, alochol and other carbs from my diet. I have no motivation to exercise. I know I would lose more weight if I did. I feel really lazy.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    If you're using the MFP standard set up just eat Your Daily Goal. It has your deficit built in for you already without exercising.
  • Cherry_T
    Cherry_T Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Luckily for you, most of weight loss is diet. I suppose the best program out there for you is the fat loss factor as you can do it without any activity. Have a look:
    choppysreviews.com/the-fat-loss-factor
    Also, a little trick I learned in judo, tape your toes together to avoid breaks.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Jessica Smith Chair workouts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xC9khisFPA
  • mrk34
    mrk34 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Fast weight loss with no exercise and without hunger is absolutely possible. I did it. I lost 91 pounds and have been maintaining for two years. You will have to change what you eat and keep it this way, otherwise the weight will come back.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I don't really see why you couldn't still bike, you don't use your toe to pedal really. Otherwise eat less than your TDEE you should still be losing.
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I just left the doctors with a broken toe and they advised me not to exercise. I'm used to running or biking or something an hour 4-5 days a week. I'm going to be out for 4-6 weeks. How can I lose weight w/oexercise? Is now a good time to start a fast? I won't need the energy. I can prob continue my ab workout and to Pilates floor work. Any advice is appreciated!!

Weight loss is about calories, exercise is for better health. Many people lose weight, including myself, without doing any type of exercise during weight loss :) Hope your toe heals quickly!
  • Brie4me
    Brie4me Posts: 238
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your toe! I've broken a toe at least 3 times. My podiatrist also says no cycling until it heals properly.

I agree with LizAnn925's post. I've been unable to do cardio for 3 weeks due to an injury. So, I lowered my calorie goal to account for the change in my activity level (from 1800 to 1500). I do hand weights, push ups and crunches. I've lost weight each week doing this. Good luck! :smile:
  • nomorebingesgirl2014
    nomorebingesgirl2014 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Bump