Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Vegan low carb? what would be eating?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Why? And are you sure vegan low carb is what you mean? Vegan is only plants, and plants are mostly carbs :/
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    When you eat vegan, you are getting protein from plants, which have carbs. Vegan + low carb is not a good match.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Low carbohydrate vegan diets are possible, but they're very, very restrictive and there isn't a whole lot of variety. Typically the only people who can stick to these long term are ethical vegans with medical issues that are helped with a low carbohydrate diet. Are you sure this is what you're looking for?
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    I went vegan keto once to drop some water weight. That was the most miserable diet ever... not even kidding. My list of foods was so narrow that I was pretty much only eating highly processed protein foods and fats like coconut oil.

I'll never do that again unless I need to cut for a comp or something.
  • critterbug15
    critterbug15 Posts: 55 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Tempeh, tofu - there are some faux meats that are convenient (e.g., gardein, quorn). I'm not vegan; I'm ovo-lacto keto right now and that's tough for me. Hats off to you. Ethically, I believe I should be vegan and I hate to say it, but I'm just not ready to make the commitment. So salute...

The nice thing about it, though, is that you mainly need some good fat sources, as that could be anywhere from 60-80+% of your daily calories. There's soy protein powder, too. And some other types of protein powder IIRC.

OOH (aside)! I just received my first order of Louisville Vegan Jerky. The stuff is amazing.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Vegan Low Carb Diet....are you getting abbreviations wrong? Did you see info on a VLCD (very low calorie diet) and think it stood for vegan? Because, speaking as a vegan, a vegan low carb diet would be very difficult and your food choices extremely limited.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Vegan Low Carb Diet....are you getting abbreviations wrong? Did you see info on a VLCD (very low calorie diet) and think it stood for vegan? Because, speaking as a vegan, a vegan low carb diet would be very difficult and your food choices extremely limited.

Interesting, as that idea hadn't even occurred to me.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

Interesting, as that idea hadn't even occurred to me.

I just couldn't think of any other reason anyone would *want* to do a vegan low carb diet!
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    Vegans tend to be high carb low fat which is perfect for the lifestyle. Don't try to cut out carbs if you are only doing it because you think they are bad. They aren't. Your body actually likes the carbs from fresh whole natural plant based sources.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    Vegans tend to be high carb low fat which is perfect for the lifestyle. Don't try to cut out carbs if you are only doing it because you think they are bad. They aren't. Your body actually likes the carbs from fresh whole natural plant based sources.

I think there are plenty of high carbohydrate/low fat vegans, but there are also many vegans who don't do low fat (including myself).
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options

I think there are plenty of high carbohydrate/low fat vegans, but there are also many vegans who don't do low fat (including myself).

Yup. I'm in the 100gr/day club for fats. But fats and carbs are what I find satiating. I'm also high protein, but that's mainly because of my lifestyle/exercise choices.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's a misspelling for the Vogon diet?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's a misspelling for the Vogon diet?

How poetic :dizzy:
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options

Yeah I just said low fat because it's more likely than low carb as a vegan xD
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Yup. I'm in the 100gr/day club for fats. But fats and carbs are what I find satiating. I'm also high protein, but that's mainly because of my lifestyle/exercise choices.

Yeah, fat and fiber are what I find most satiating. I feel much better mentally and physically when I'm eating a higher fat diet. I've also noticed, completely anecdotally, that many of the prominent ex-vegan bloggers who blame veganism for their health issues seem to have been on low fat diets while they were vegan.