At what point do I go to the Dr. concerning lack of weight loss?

Options
I started myfitnesspal 9 days ago. I've been eating 1400 calories or less since then and haven't lost anything. I do have PCOS which can make it hard to lose weight, but I've been able to lose in the past. At what point do I go and see someone because I'm not losing weight when I feel like I should be?

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I don't think I'd suggest heading to the doctor unless someone is at 4+ weeks of consistency (very careful logging, no cheats, no changes to their routine, etc.) with no change.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »
    After you've gotten a food scale and weighed everything you put in your mouth for a month with zero loss. Then maybe.

Agreed. If you're not losing you're likely eating too much. Remember lots of items in the food database are user contributed. So if you see something that says "meatloaf homemade" 100 calories per serving it's probably not all that accurate. I'd rather create my own recipe for my meatloaf, add each ingredient by weight, then divide it (the recipe calc will do this for you) by the number of servings and I then know exactly what my "meatloaf" is in calories. Otherwise, things like "Chicken breast boneless" look for items that have the green icon next to them because they have been verified. But even then if it's not the same brand/type of item it isn't going to be accurate. A food scale will keep you honest, get one big enough to put a plate on, and weigh things as you add it to your plate, that's what I do, and I've been successful with MFP.

Also, keep in mind, water weight can account for 3-6lbs of weight. If you're eating high sodium (pre-packaged foods) items you're likely holding on to water too. In 9 days, set at 1lb a week you should have lost 1 lb or a bit more if it was a perfect world. Problem is, water weight can hide that loss easily. So you're going to have to give it more time, 30 days or more to be sure. Get a food scale and learn to use it. ;)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I don't think I'd suggest heading to the doctor unless someone is at 4+ weeks of consistency (very careful logging, no cheats, no changes to their routine, etc.) with no change.

Time-wise I agree with the posters above as well.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Everything above OP.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    After several months of very accurate logging using a food scale, using accurate entries, using the recipe builder, honestly logging everything that goes in your mouth. THEN if you still aren't losing possibly a trip to the doctor would be in order.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

To expand on "changes to their routine" - a new exercise program can result in temporary water weight gain.

Many women also gain water weight at ovulation and/or premenstrually.
  • cbinnd
    cbinnd Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I agree with previous comments about making sure everything is logged accurately.
    If you have PCOS though, it is not just calories in, calories out. What kind of foods are you eating? Having had PCOS almost 10 years now and learning a lot from nutritionists, dietitians, naturopaths, etc. I would love to look at your food journal and give you some tips.
    I will send you a message.
  • agawnursing
    agawnursing Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You can go to the doctor at any point as they are gatekeepers to other health care providers such as dietitians. PCOS tends to be hand in hand with obesity and diabetes type 2. Your doctor can screen for diabetes if you meet a certain level of risk. Also if you are morbidly obese there are medications to help with weight loss if you are unsuccessful with diet and exercise (making an actual effort) for approximately 3 months (Orlistat is one but it makes you leak feces if you eat anything fatty/greasy, which to me is a good motivator). You could also ask for a referral to a social worker for having someone to talk to about the effects of your weight on your life/wellbeing/mood etc and they may be able to help you with coping interventions. Cognitive behavior therapy is also beneficial if you can find a provider with experience in it. Also if you are doing diet and exercise properly a healthy weight loss is 0.5 to 1 lb loss per week.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,202 Member
    Options
    I stuck to 1250 cal like glue when I first started ... and didn't lose a gram for the first 10 days. Then it started coming off. I'd say 9 days isn't enough time yet to get too worried about it. Just make sure you are weighing and logging everything, and staying under your calorie limit.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    When all of the following is true:
    1. You have been logging very accurately and not overestimating exercise
    2. It has been at least a month since your weight stopped going down
    3. You have been sticking to your calorie level successfully and your deficit isn't too small

Or:
    If you have symptoms that warrants a visit to the doctor.
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    9 days is nowhereeeee near enough time to be even considering or thinking about that you haven't lost weight yet. Give it at least a month or two first and then if you still have not lost anything maybe then.