Small "tips" you use for your journey!

Options

Replies

• JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    llbrixon wrote: »
    Now...you know all my secrets! I am 6 pounds away from my goal. Yahoo!

Thats great! Keep it up :)
  • godlikepoetyes
    godlikepoetyes Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Smaller plates, yes.
    I keep food in the car so I won't go to a drive-through.
    I take cheese sticks and crackers with me when I go out in case I get hungry.
    I try to play with my food and spend a lot of time talking when I have lunch with friends.
    I have sweets every day.
    I eat all of my calories.
    I ignore all the nutrition "advice" that comes out constantly and means very little.
    I ignore all the wacky "advice" that goes around on MFP.
    I tend to eat often. I like to eat snacks and have a big breakfast.
    I weigh once a week and the ONLY scale that counts is my scale.
    When I go to the doctor I ask them not to tell me my weight.
    I move a LOT so I can eat more calories.
    I think of exercise as play.
  • aggieatheart72
    aggieatheart72 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Everyday I go through the drive thru at Sonic and get a Route 44 ice water!!!!! It is the best :)
  • the_new_mark_2017
    the_new_mark_2017 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    When you're eating, always feed your dog 25% of what you're having. Cuts the calories way down and keeps Rover happy too.

LOL, thats what I did with my puppy and he now has diabetes :(
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    This is a great conversation...even though the only thing I have to add is I had to learn how to eat those food in moderation. I do pre-log each day, which is a great tool for me.
  • MynameisChester
    MynameisChester Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    When you're eating, always feed your dog 25% of what you're having. Cuts the calories way down and keeps Rover happy too.

LOL, thats what I did with my puppy and he now has diabetes :(

Nooooooo!=(
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    My tip for myself was to not make unnecessary rules, because the part of my brain that still thinks I'm 13 will rebel against them.

ETA: I still make some unnecessary rules, like the one about not making unnecessary rules...
  • cariduttry
    cariduttry Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    i do meal prep sunday nights. i eat bland and boring for lunch at work (chicken, rice, & veg) so i have more options calorie-wise for supper.

i eat everything on my plate...if i weighed it and am counting those calories, sorry/not sorry, i'm eating it!

if i feel like snacking, i drink a huge (16-20 oz.) glass of water first. my brain mistakes hunger for thirst.

i exercise for strength, not for weight loss. keeping the two separated in my mind prevents me from the irrational thinking, "i worked out, so now i deserve a treat".

i weigh every day, same time/same place, and track it on happy scale (app for iphone). seeing the slow-and-steady downward trend keeps me from feeling exasperated by the "slow" part.

i track everything, even/especially when i overeat. it keeps me accountable and lets me see it's not quite the crisis i've concocted in my head.

i pre-plan and pre-log what i'm going to order at every restaurant. it makes me feel more in control of the situation and keeps me from blowing my calories.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,989 Member
    Options
    My tip for myself was to not make unnecessary rules, because the part of my brain that still thinks I'm 13 will rebel against them.

ETA: I still make some unnecessary rules, like the one about not making unnecessary rules...

This is me. I pretty much eat what I want as long as it fits. I will always drink my coffee with sugar and half and half. (That may actually be a rule). Really though, I find that making too many rules makes it feel restrictive for me. I only restrict calories. I guess my tip is just eat what you like and make it fit your goals.
  • sistermaryagnus
    sistermaryagnus Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day because I can gain 2 pounds in a day EASILY and it keeps me accountable. I think of it like checking my bank balance everyday and not get emotional about it.
  • mrsstutzman23
    mrsstutzman23 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just started using MFP two weeks ago but one trick I have picked up is to log my meals before I eat them and make sure they don't put me above my daily goals. I have noticed that Kiwis and Apples are great little snacks that don't add much in regards to calories and sugar. I also cut out soda and energy drinks (coffee, redbull) all together. I have replaced them with green tea, chamomile tea, and water (sometimes I add lemons and/or strawberries for a sweeter flavor).
  • Pikashel
    Pikashel Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I thought of this recently and haven't done it consistently, but... I'm female so I put on lipstick after I have a meal as extra incentive not to eat anything else until the next meal. As for liquids, use a straw to not mess up the lipstick.
  • subakwa
    subakwa Posts: 347 Member
    Options

Cut up food as you eat it, so that it takes longer to consume; instead of cutting it all up before.

I am intrigued - isn't this normal as soon as your mother stops cutting up all your food for you at the start of a meal? You only cut the piece that you are about to eat, surely?

Otherwise, good tips.

I have sugar-free Polo mints on hand to "flavour" me up instead of thinking I need a snack.

Options Choc Mint hot chocolate drink for a sweet hit at 38 calories.

Organic soya milk for high protein lower cal replacement for semi-skimmed milk.

Water with a dash of lemon juice in pint glasses for my soft drink.

Crunchy salads - raw cauliflower, radishes, chunks of cucumber, celery etc to bulk out meals with some oomph.

Multiple varieties of hot sauce in the cupboard. Spicy is so much more satisfying and slows down the eating.

Kitchen dancing whilst cooking, making a cuppa, washing up etc to burn a few more cals for fun.

Promising yourself small rewards (food or non-food) for small milestones - half the time you don't even take yourself up on them when you get there but they motivate me!

Weighing daily and owning that. It also has side-benefits. For example Ihave cut my salt down because I don't like it bumping me up on the scales the next day. I wouldn't have done that normally as I love salt!

• RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    I never leave anything on my plate because all of my food is weighed and logged. If I'm weighing and logging it, you can bet I will be eating it.

Same here! I lick the container for peanut butter :D I'm not missing ANY!!
  • emmadonaldson95
    emmadonaldson95 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Pretty much every lunch or dinner I make I add at least 1 portion of fruit or veg eveb if it feels like a strange combination. Helps keep you full.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I do the small plate thing. But I get awfully good at fitting large food on a small plate...
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I only eat what I love and never to be polite. I eat when I'm hungry, not when it's "time" to eat.

I jump around at any available time- while waiting for the kettle to boil, food to cook, whatever! Same with squats.