Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Four things cut cancer risk in half

cmtristani
cmtristani Posts: 117 Member
Interesting article with what seems to be solid research behind it. Two of the four are the subject of this community - fitness and weight. http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-how-to-prevent-cancers-20160519-snap-story.html

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Seems like the same stuff we've been told will keep us healthy for quite some time. I'm hoping 3 out of 4 will be enough. ::drinker::
  • paulgads82
    paulgads82 Posts: 256 Member
    Caner cells cant feed on ketone bodys. They only eat glycogen. So keeping a low sugar carb diet is where id start if cancer free was my goal

You are going to remove the glycogen from your body to help prevent cancer?!
  • cmtristani
    cmtristani Posts: 117 Member
    I am just happy that my goals and all this work have both short term and long term benefit
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    tomteboda wrote: »
    Caner cells cant feed on ketone bodys. They only eat glycogen. So keeping a low sugar carb diet is where id start if cancer free was my goal

Where do people get these ideas? Cancer cells are JUST LIKE THE REST OF YOUR CELLS. Only they don't die like they're supposed to. The reason they evade your immune system is that they're JUST LIKE THE REST OF YOUR CELLS.

I wonder if it's confusion with a common scan (PET) to detect cancer. Lots of people fast before PET scans because what you eat can cause false positives. I fast for 36 hours before mine.

My oncologist seems very adamant that sugar doesn't do anything with cancer. She says in general being obese is a risk factor.
  • Numberwang22
    Numberwang22 Posts: 213 Member
    I thought it was simply lifestyle and genes. I'm erring on the side of caution (no major vices!) since genes not so great.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Drinkin', smokin', eating too much good food and slacking off. GEEZ must they suck all the fun out of life!!!
  • suzyjane1972
    suzyjane1972 Posts: 612 Member
    edited June 2016
    My friend raised a healthy vegetarian grew up into a super "healthy" (organic, filtered, green juice) vegan died of cancer....if its gonna get you it's gonna get you.
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    edited June 2016
    tross0924 wrote: »

My dad had esophagus cancer. It grew and restricted his esophagus down to a pin hole. The OLNY thing he could eat was protein shakes. A hot dog put in a blender for 5 minutes would get stuck at the restriction and would back up the "pipe" until he gagged and puked everything back up. He went from 180 lbs with six pack abs to a 6' tall 120 lb skeleton over the course of about 6 months. He was in ketosis the entire time since he had about 15g of carbs a day and the cancer grew and spread throughout his entire body.

I freely acknowledge that this is an n=1 example, but the problem with absolutes, like "cancer can't feed on ketone bodys" is that n=1 disproves them.

I'm so sorry that your father had to go through that. :'(
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member

Fasting cures cancer! :huh:
    More at 11!
  • suzyjane1972
    suzyjane1972 Posts: 612 Member
    edited June 2016

Fasting cures cancer! :huh:
    More at 11!

This.....Oh how I wish it did.....then I wouldn't have had to sit and watch my mother die.....starvation never cured her. (I know you were being ironic)
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    So, what exactly is "cutting back" on drinking? Can I get a hard number?