Sweating To The Oldies

Options
Any Richard Simmons fans out there? I know he is old school but I have found his videos to be fun and has helped me drop 24lbs since March. I average about 2lbs a week and my goal is to lose 100lbs. Feel free to add me and we can go on this journey together. Be patient with me.. as I am just learning to use this app and the message boards. Thanks :)

Replies

• itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    good for you!

i haven't tried his videos - well, to be fair, i haven't tried any videos - but i've heard good things.
  • Cheri1218
    Cheri1218 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I enjoy his videos, but don't really do them right now. I especially like his "models." People who look normal - not stick figure gym rats.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,419 Member
    Options
    I used to do them several times a week. The music is more from my era - I still can't hear some of the songs ("Build Me Up, Buttercup" for example) and not feel like I should do the moves for it. I appreciated that they were truly low impact because I have recurrent knee problems, and like @Cheri1218, I appreciated the "regular human being" dancers. (Richard himself can be just a tad on the too-perky side, but you can't have everything! :) ).

I think they were a good help in building fitness . . . eventually, I found myself using them less because they didn't really get my heart rate up as high as I wanted it anymore. But very, very useful and fun for a long time!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Never done one of his workouts, but now you have me thinking it would be a lot of fun. I may just give one a try next week.
    Grooving in the garden B)

Cheers, h.
  • crystalmorrison378
    crystalmorrison378 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I also have bad knees.. so I like that his videos are low impact. I recently bought Sweating To The Oldies 3 and it's much more high pace then the first 2. Learning the steps on this 1 has been a challenge!
  • daisygirl2017
    daisygirl2017 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Yes I remember them. You think funny but they hard!
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I've done a couple of his workouts, mostly out of curiosity and for the sake of variety. They're not very demanding, but for some folks, that's a good thing. They're also good for folks who might otherwise feel intimidated by more traditional workout routines.

Don't expect to get very lean or to put on much muscle with his videos, though. There's a reason why Richard Simmons doesn't look like a hardbody.
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    afatpersonwholikesfood Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Hahaha, I scoured the internet (or actually just Youtube) awhile back for some old-school Richard Simmons videos, and I exercised while cracking myself up the whole time. :-) My husband walked in and just shook his head and walked out of the room.
  • nanalisax3
    nanalisax3 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I love his videos and have them all I started with the getting started tape when I was 398. Now I'm 246.4 and find it harder to drop but his videos are fun and keep me moving.
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I use to do those 15ish years ago with my mom :) loved them!