New Running Question

Options
Hello All!

This is the first topic I've posted. I just completed a 5k training program that ended with a 4th of July run. I ran most of it (walked for about 2 minutes). My time was 41:34 (13:24 minute mile).

So my question is, where do I go from here? I am thinking run 30 minutes or so a few times a week, and maybe do sprinting once a week. What I'm thinking is get really comfortable with the 30 minute runs and then try to increase time/distance? When I ran the race I felt pretty good for the first 2/2.5 miles and only lagged towards the end.

Any suggestions? Thanks Much!!

Replies

• mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your goal. I always tell people distance before speed. If you are good with a 5K, then train to do it faster a little bit at a time. If you goal is to go relatively the same speed, but longer distances working towards a 10K, then just slow start adding distance to your run. I would strongly suggest, signing up for a 5K race, you can find a training plan, like Hal Higdon and work towards your race. It still gives you a plan to follow, and will help you decide if you want to go further or faster. But will get you really engaged in your new sport.

Congratulations on your success so far.
  • dlrosen
    dlrosen Posts: 51
    Options
    I agree with mlb929 it really does depend on what your goal is. If you are wanting to become quicker then working on speed might be your priority or it might be distance you want. To improve my distance I run 3-4 days a week of maintenance running (usually around 3-6 miles) and then I have one long run day a week in which I try to up my distance from the previous week. I think that sounds like a good idea to work on getting comfortable with running 30 minutes first. It takes a lot of time and patience, but it sounds like you are doing great and congrats on your first 5K! 13 minutes miles is really great for your first 5K! Have fun with running and make sure to have a day or two of rest a week from running!
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your goal.
    Great point! I think right now I just want to be faster at a 5k.

Distance I may or may not try for later, but right now the longest distance I"m thinking about would be a 10k. There are loads of 5k's this time of year and on into the fall, so I may pick another that sounds good and work on improving my time.

When you say 'distance over speed' do you mean that distance helps you build speed at shorter distances? I'm not really ready/interested in trying for a half marathon or anything like that.
  • alienrite
    alienrite Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I'm new to running and have found 5k races a great motivation to keep running and stay focused. I'm trying to have at least on race a month for the rest of 2013. I do have a couple longer races but speed is my main focus. It's so much fun
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    If you're new to running, I'd make sure you're running correctly. get your gait assessed and solve all the little bad habits like heel planting and center of gravity issues. there are you tube videos on this and you can find trainers (sounds like you've been through a course already). but sometimes these courses neglect this stuff and just focus on getting you to run at all. you want to be sure you are not damaging anything. I say this because I ran wrong for years not knowing about this, just toughed it out and did do damage and then had to both repair it and learn to run correctly.

after that, go for distance first, get comfortable with an hour or so at whatever your pace is and add some sprints. you'll do fine.
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your goal.
    Great point! I think right now I just want to be faster at a 5k.

Distance I may or may not try for later, but right now the longest distance I"m thinking about would be a 10k. There are loads of 5k's this time of year and on into the fall, so I may pick another that sounds good and work on improving my time.

When you say 'distance over speed' do you mean that distance helps you build speed at shorter distances? I'm not really ready/interested in trying for a half marathon or anything like that.

When new to running, the best thing you can do to run the 5k faster is to run more. Very, very few new runners need speedwork to get faster - though there is nothing wrong with doing it if you find it fun.

To run more, you could pick a day to make your longer run. Over a period of a few weeks, get to where you run 4 or 5 miles on that day. Not sure what you run on your other days, but if it's 3 miles increase another day to 3.5. Or if your running 3 days a week, add a 4th of maybe a couple of miles.

Even if you don't run anything longer than 5k in training, you'll find you get faster and you build a better base. But you could find yourself getting better at 5ks for quite a while just by increasing a couple of days in distance and/or adding another day. You can slowly build to that point, just as you did in your initial program.

Do that for a while, and if you decide to tackle a 10k you'll find it a much easier step to make.