Did you get fat as a kid?

Options

Replies

• tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    I perceived myself as fat from Elementary school, but looking at Lucy's I was pretty slander but muscular for a kid until 15. That year I was in college and ate way too much Mc Donald's and didn't get much exercise. Went from 150 to 200 (5'11") but because it's always thought I was fat the change didn't shock me, only depressed me.

.. I really shouldn't try to write posts from my phone. This is almost incomprehensible.

• JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    I perceived myself as fat from Elementary school, but looking at Lucy's I was pretty slander but muscular for a kid until 15. That year I was in college and ate way too much Mc Donald's and didn't get much exercise. Went from 150 to 200 (5'11") but because it's always thought I was fat the change didn't shock me, only depressed me.

.. I really shouldn't try to write posts from my phone. This is almost incomprehensible.

Iv done this haha XD wasnt to bad. This site is totally way to addicting
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I was a fat baby and a chubby child. Always active and outdoors, playing loads of sports, fit and very healthy. Always walked to school despite it being a fair distance away.
    Food was nearly always home cooked and high quality. I never had a sweet tooth so no excessive sweets, snacks between meals were unusual.

Both parents grew up poor during the war with war time rationing which meant food was scarce and precious (imagine queuing for an hour for one orange and your Mum sending you back to re-join the queue for a second one for your sister...). That definitely had a carry over into their expectation that you would clear your plate rather than stop when full. Looking back I don't see that we ate a lot, but clearly a bit more than we should have.

Teenage years I was still slightly overweight but a very fast sprinter, played every sport going. Could get into 30" waist jeans if I could get them past my over-sized quads!

I've never had a time in my adult life when I could eat intuitively without gaining weight. Can maintain weight (whether maintaining overweight or slim) with a bit of care to both sides of the CICO equation but to lose weight takes conscious effort.
  • zugunruhey
    zugunruhey Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I didn't gain weight until very late high school/early college, mostly due to back problems that resulted in surgery and continuing post surgical pain. I have pretty serious back pain to this day, it just took me until the past year to get sick of my pain-induced emotional eating making my weight worse and my weight making my back worse.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Yep, I was a size 11 at 11 years old. I slimmed out and was a size 3 by the time I graduated. My great grandmother, mother, and my daughter now all went through that chubby period at the beginning of puberty.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Slightly underweight as a baby, then got fatter and fatter.
  • paulgads82
    paulgads82 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Underweight all my life until I got sick in 2008. My whole life I could eat and eat and not gain weight. I exercised probably 4 times a week. Now I've had to adopt a completely different mindset.
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Fat baby (over 9lbs), fat toddler, fat teen, fat adult. Would like to know what thin feels like before I'm too old to enjoy it!
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Yes, chunky as a younger child, and then at my adult height and 200 pounds by age 13; more than 40 pounds heavier than now.

Loads of reasons...

* A bit genetic I think because ate the same food/had the same activity as my brother and he was never chubby at all.

* Yes, the clean plate thing was in force. Spent many mornings sitting in front of a cold plate of eggs because I just couldn't stand them.

* Comfort eating and food as a reward...check and check.

* Restriction by my mother leading to sneaking food; put on my first structured diet around age 11 or 12. Yes, I know she was trying to do the right thing.

* Not diagnosed in childhood - my brother was - but ADD = crap impulse control and poor attention = overeating.

* Grew very quickly and was tragically uncoordinated - as in falling walking across a flat unobstructed surface. So since I was crap at any kind of sports actively avoided them. I finally got some kind of normal coordination around age 14-15 after I stopped growing.

* Besides comfort eating I was a bookworm. Read and read for hours, day after day. So sedentary + eating too much = fat.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    My mom has always been a bit health conscious about food. We rarely had desserts (maybe a few times a year). We always had an abundance of fruit and vegetables. She cooked lean meat.

I got a little chunky during puberty. I was less active. I taught myself how to bake. I had very little self control with items I baked!
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I was always a skinny kid. My Dad fed us a balanced diet, though we still had fish fingers, chips & peas or sausages beans & chips once a week then meals with veg the rest. He also cooked/baked most things from scratch (I guess that's where I get that from now) We were very active, out with our friends on our bikes, building dens, climbing trees, playing games and very rarely sat in front of the TV or computer all day. Sweets and treats were bought with our own pocket money, so didn't always want to spend my money on them and no fizzy pop!

I only started putting on weight when I left home and had to fend for myself, then it was a yo yo till now.
  • walking2running
    walking2running Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I was definitely obese as a child and I weighed 240 pounds by the time I was 19 years old. I lost weight and I got down to just above the normal BMI cut-off at 150 pds at age 19. Then, as I got married & had 2 kids, and my weight zig-zagged for a few years. I am now 30 years old and weigh 142 pounds. I am within the normal BMI range for the first time in my life.

Having grown up relying on food for emotional comfort and being accustomed to eating whenever/whatever for so many years is contributing to my lifelong problem with food. I need to log to see the impact of a few handful of crackers, or the leftovers on my kid's plate. I don't have the skills to lose weight or maintain weight without the use of a calorie counting tool. Maybe after a few years of logging and eating within my calorie allowance, I will re-learn new skills/habits.
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Was a regular/skinny kid. It was only after I finished school and started working full time that I was starting to gain weight. It was the change from school to a desk job, buying lunch everyday & snacking in the office. I feel very lucky that I noticed early and changed my behaviours before I had a significant amount to lose.
  • Kellu67
    Kellu67 Posts: 2 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Just started getting uncontrollable junk food cravings when I was 11 and parents were too busy to keep me in check so just rapidly put on weight ever since
  • Dove0804
    Dove0804 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I was on the lower end of a normal weight range (potentially slightly underweight) when I was very young, and my parents did everything they could to make me eat even when I wasn't hungry- including eating junk. I'm pretty sure that's where it started.

Anyway, I was a fairly normal weight until 2nd or 3rd grade, and from then on I was always overweight or obese depending on if I had hit a growth spurt or not. My parents contributed in different ways- my father would give me all the sweets and fast food I wanted, and my mother's idea of healthy eating was always pretty skewed. Our house was always stocked with chips, sugary cereals, 3 full cookie jars, backup cookies in the cupboards, baked sweets in the freezer, etc.

I remember when my mom started trying to tell me to be careful about my snacking when she'd see me pass through or enter the kitchen (I did a lot of boredom eating and would just grab things on my way through the kitchen). It just made things worse, though, because I would start sneaking everything. It was really easy to just stock up on crap when her back was turned and take it to my room.

I remember the first time I realized liquids contained calories in them- and I drank a LOT of juice and milk. It sounds ludicrous to me now that I believed I could drink as much as I wanted without consequence, but it was true. I had no idea. I remember looking at the label of a juice container and really soaking in what it meant.

In high school I was an exchange student to another country and lost a decent amount of weight just by eating extremely healthy food and being active. I discovered how much I LOVE vegetables and all of the different things that can be done with them- and I also realized that my mother rarely ever includes vegetables in any meal (she also thinks that fruit is an acceptable alternative). I came back to the U.S. at a normal BMI- I was at the very upper end of normal, but I was there. My mother said she didn't want me losing any more weight, and I was frustrated. I struggled so hard in that house of sweets to maintain my lower weight but eventually failed miserably.

Over the course of my college years I ballooned up and up to morbid obesity (260 lbs), for various reasons. And I'm tired of it. This isn't who I am, and I'm sick of letting it define me, so I'm changing. I've dropped 51 lbs so far.

I know my parents had good intentions. I try very hard not to blame them. I just know that if I ever have children I'll do my best to teach them a healthy lifestyle knowing that prevention will always be the best method of tackling weight.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Yes. I'd go grocery shopping with my mom and she'd let me buy anything I want and I would sample it when I get home (hear - have one of each). Then of course we'd have all that junk in the house until it was gone.

And I couldn't go anywhere without having a snack. And I'd eat a crazy amount of cheese, cured meats ('charcuterie'), bread, puddings, and pastries/baked goods... I didn't like my mom's cooking so I'd mostly eat that stuff...

I also had untreated asthma, which made it really hard for me to exercise until I was 14 and one of my teachers finally helped me get it under control.

So yep.. fat kid. Not obese, but definitely overweight. It was NOT the norm over there though (France). Kids walk to school, lunches are balanced meals and not junk, and they have 2 hours of recess a day. Only knew a couple other overweight kids.
  • lindaloo1213
    lindaloo1213 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I was super skinny as a child. Normal weight as a teen and started gaining at 25 when I got married and stopped taking care of myself.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    No. I was normal low until I quit smoking in my mid 30's. Then I was mid normal.
    I only got into the overweight bmi after menopause.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    incisron wrote: »
    If so, why?

No, I was below average weight until my 20's. I wasn't athletic but walked places a lot. I didn't diet or overeat I guess.
    I gained weight with pregnancy but was still a healthy weight. My lifestyle became much more sedentary and I ate too many calories for that level of activity. My weight crept up over the years.
  • Sohsen
    Sohsen Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I was a ginormous kid. Obese for several years. Starved myself into losing around 20k at age 14 then started training. And its not easy keeping the weight down at age 40...that's for sure