Pool workouts?

Options
My neighbor has an above ground pool and we're both on the weight loss train.
Besides walking around in circles forever and creating a whirlpool, lol, anyone else have any pool workouts?

Replies

• missouri_rain
    missouri_rain Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Try jogging, jumping jacks, and get some waterproof hand weights.
    Have fun!
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I just started doing water aerobic classes, but anything you can do like moving your body and muscles around, the water provides great resistance.
  • Jenks
    Jenks Posts: 349
    Options
    If you've ever taking a cardio kickboxing class you can take what you know from that and use it in the water.
  • Allibaba
    Allibaba Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I would suggest going to an aquafit class at your rec center then you will learn some moves to then do at home.
  • janetgardiner
    Options
    whirlpools are great. you can go one way for say 3-5min then turn and go the other way, now that's a good work out if you run so the water is really moving. Kicking around is also good, playing pool basketball, hoops, water polo (where you run instead of treading water).
  • la4et
    la4et Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Old fashion treading water if its deep enough. Works the legs well and is a good cardio workout!
  • susielou
    susielou Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've taken deep water aerobics and we move all the time. All you need to stay above water is a noodle. Straddle it and go to town racing moving both arms and legs like you are running at full speed! Don't forget the stretches in shallower water...you always need to stretch!
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I'm really interested in this topic, because I tried swimming the other night and couldn't get my heart rate above 100 and I swimming laps... back and forth, back and forth. Really sucked. So I just got out and did a walking DVD. Literally walking briskly in place had my heart rate up in the 150's and I burned 654 calories. Haha, now that's more like it!
  • Qbanldy
    Qbanldy Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Try leaning back and walk around the pool backwards for a really good upper thigh workout.
    Get something you can sit and float on and row with your arms extended, front and then backwards around the pool. If you have an ipod and dock make sure you take it with you outside. Your favorite music will help keep you happy and motivated and it's also good to set a goal for time. For example, I love to jog around at the beginning of a song and stick with it until the song ends, or whatever activity I'm doing.
    Good luck and have fun!
  • lesliejsilva
    lesliejsilva Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm so excited! I'm going to the dollar tree and get some pool noodles and a kickboard. Our neighbors were blasting music outside the other day, luckily it was music we liked :) I'll definitely be bringing the ipod dock out!