Is Being Really Lean Really Worth It?

Options
Good article:

http://mollygalbraith.com/2013/07/is-being-really-lean-really-worth-it/

I like this:
If you don’t want to make sacrifices (big or small) to change your body, then that is your prerogative. This woman has found the spot where her aesthetics, performance, health, and lifestyle intersect. Maybe none of them are *exactly* where she wants them to be, but she has a solid balance.

I think this is where I am at. I'm pretty happy aesthetically and not really willing to change my lifestyle anymore get my aesthetics exactly where I want them to be.

Replies

• jmarsh9
    jmarsh9 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    She makes some great points!
  • AverageUkDude
    AverageUkDude Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    There was alot of that pissed me off in this article, just another accept who you article full of incorrect observations.

Everybody is different. -> INCORRECT, we are all humans and our body's all behave, react and adapt in the exact same way, there's a whole science around it, its called human biology.

Some of us can maintain leaner physiques than others. -> Genetics does play a small part, but mainly no everyone can achieve a low bodyfat percentage, its all about nutrition.

Going beyond a healthy level of leanness for YOU is a stressor. -> Yes, going to a very low bf% especially competition low for males and trying to maintain this can cause sever shifts in hormone levels, but were talking under 9% here and lean is generally considered under 12-15, which is achievable by 99% of men willing to put the effort in.

It’s not normal, and it may not even be healthy, to walk around shredded all the time. -> Again a misunderstanding, heaving a healthy/lean healthy bodyfat% is very healthy for you.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    There was alot of that pissed me off in this article, just another accept who you article full of incorrect observations.

Everybody is different. -> INCORRECT, we are all humans and our body's all behave, react and adapt in the exact same way, there's a whole science around it, its called human biology.

Some of us can maintain leaner physiques than others. -> Genetics does play a small part, but mainly no everyone can achieve a low bodyfat percentage, its all about nutrition.

Going beyond a healthy level of leanness for YOU is a stressor. -> Yes, going to a very low bf% especially competition low for males and trying to maintain this can cause sever shifts in hormone levels, but were talking under 9% here and lean is generally considered under 12-15, which is achievable by 99% of men willing to put the effort in.

It’s not normal, and it may not even be healthy, to walk around shredded all the time. -> Again a misunderstanding, heaving a healthy/lean healthy bodyfat% is very healthy for you.

You do realize the article was directed at women, right? We DO require a higher bodyfat percentage than men. Our hormones are very different. And she WAS talking about competition level leanness. She didn't say everyone couldn't achieve low body fat, she just said it was hard to maintain. You say 12-15 is achievable for most men. That's about the same as 20% for women. NOT what she's talking about at all.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    The article was fine. And nobody who doesn't want to change lifestyle will change, regardless of lean or not.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I love this, and it reflects where and who I am right now.

I'm just a normal (more or less) middle aged woman who wants to be healthy, strong and fit. My life is not going to be any different in any measurable way if I can run a sub 7 minute mile, or lose another ten pounds, or bench press my body weight.

I'd LIKE to do all of those things, but they'd just be feathers in my cap. It wouldn't mean I'm any smarter, or kinder, or richer, or prettier, or any anythinger. It won't even help me make up better new words! Being able to run a 7:15 mile, wear a dress size larger, and bench press about .7x my body weight is good enough.

The "cost" of doing those things isn't worth the achievement. I'm not willing to run myself into the ground (again... one stress fracture was enough thankyouverymuch), eat significantly less than I am, or walk around sore all the time from lifting. And I won't give up good toilet paper, either. Charmin or Cottonelle only.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    It wouldn't mean I'm any smarter, or kinder, or richer, or prettier, or any anythinger. It won't even help me make up better new words!

I don't know, I think that one would catch on quickly, I like it!

I'm not quite where I'm comfortable yet, but I'm starting to worry about when I will be.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    That is where I am. I am unwilling to do more (or any) cardio. I refuse to lower my calories and won't go low carbs or whatever else to get leaner. So I guess it is as good at it is going to get for me.
  • kiykiy79
    kiykiy79 Posts: 177
    Options
    Today is my one year fit anniversary and this just summed up where I am today... Fit on my own terms... and happy!
  • soysauce6626
    soysauce6626 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Yes.. Being lean has its social benefits.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Yes.. Being lean has its social benefits.

So are you saying you get laid more at 8% body fat than say 14%?
  • Klem4
    Klem4 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Really interesting blog, it was a good post. I've been feeling kind of nuts lately, I know where I would love to be, but I don't know if all the sacrifices are worth it right now. Struggling with it a lot the past couple months.
  • RunningRichelle
    RunningRichelle Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I have to question what this woman's routine for 'getting lean' is. She says that she was miserable when she was really lean. That leads me to think that she wasn't eating the right foods.

I could very well say that I'm happy with how I look right now and just go into maintenance mode, but I'm steadily losing fat, and I'm not miserable.

I expect to be around 18% body fat by Halloween, if not sooner, and with the way that I eat and exercise right now, I don't foresee any misery attached to that number at all. I'm not sacrificing anything. I eat what tastes good, I make my exercise things that are fun to me, and I get enough sleep. Becoming steadily leaner is just an awesome side effect of the way I'm living my life :-)
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    There's something in that blog that doesn't get ackknowledged enough: Genetics matters. And I am not making excuses because I've actually been blessed with good genes.

I also made a conscious decision that if it takes hours and hours in the gym, I'm not doing it. I run and work out with weights, but I've got a lot of things I want to do and I have no aspirations to be a gym rat.
  • Yanicka1
    Options
    I have to question what this woman's routine for 'getting lean' is. She says that she was miserable when she was really lean. That leads me to think that she wasn't eating the right foods.

I could very well say that I'm happy with how I look right now and just go into maintenance mode, but I'm steadily losing fat, and I'm not miserable.

I expect to be around 18% body fat by Halloween, if not sooner, and with the way that I eat and exercise right now, I don't foresee any misery attached to that number at all. I'm not sacrificing anything. I eat what tastes good, I make my exercise things that are fun to me, and I get enough sleep. Becoming steadily leaner is just an awesome side effect of the way I'm living my life :-)

The leaner you get, harder it is to get there and stay there. It is not because it is easy right now that it will stay that way.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options

EXACT same way? Rubbish.
  • Yanicka1
    Options

EXACT same way? Rubbish.

It is not rubbish.
  • RunningRichelle
    RunningRichelle Posts: 346 Member
    Options

The leaner you get, harder it is to get there and stay there. It is not because it is easy right now that it will stay that way.

Well, I guess I'll be back around Halloween then ;-)
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options

And you go off topic. SHE was writing about how competition-level lean was incompatible with HER body functioning in a way that was normal and healthy for her and therefore up there next to looking like a runway model in the form over function department. We have no business adding our own personal experiences into this because they have nothing to do with it.