Overcoming mental blocks?

Options
I'm always writing out my plans for my weight loss (i.e. the diet and workouts I'll do) but I end up saying "I'll start tomorrow" (everyday) or sometimes I'll put on my gym clothes and something will upset me then I just won't go (i.e. I feel self conscious in my clothes). There's definitely some sort of mental issue blocking me from reaching my goals! I'm not 100% sure what it stems from. I've always wanted to lose weight for as long as I can remember, even when I was at a healthy weight. Now I'm in the overweight range because of my poor eating habits and 0 exercise (I used to play sports regularly in high school). I know what I want, I know how to get it. The most I've lost is 16 lbs but I've gained more than half that back. I just have some huge mental block in me that always says let's start tomorrow or I don't feel like working out today or whatever other excuse. How do you overcome mental blocks?

Replies

• Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Therapy seems like a decent place to start. I'm serious, if it's been this way for as long as you remember then getting to the root of it can only be helpful.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Don't believe everything you think.

Don't wait around for motivation, just do it.

Don't set yourself an overly-restrictive weight loss plan. Deprivation diets don't work.

Make room in your daily calorie limit for the things you most feel like.

That's how I've lost 80 lbs in the past year.
  • Leyshinka
    Leyshinka Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I found it helpful to start slow or make one change at a time. For example I started drinking only water and cut out soft drinks which was not very easy since I never really drank plain water. This was the only thing I changed for about a month before I moved to the next thing.