Wonky Calculations by MFP?

Options
So, I have hit a "plateau" so to speak. My weight has been hoovering near 166 for about 4 weeks now. I went into my fitness pal and was thinking: "Okay, maybe I need to adjust my calories?" When I went in, I realized that my starting weight was 158, which is where I was a few years ago when I quit logging (Starvation diet, no exercise, misery incarnate. I had the usual misconceptions.) I adjusted it to the weight I was this last summer, 181, and the calculator gave me more calories. It jumped from 1540 to 1870 for 1lb a week loss.

Is this something I should be concerned with? Do I have to cut a few more calories out, or should I just keep doing what I'm doing and eventually the "plateau" will break? Should I go with what the app says? It's similar to the TDEE calculator, but even that scares me because its crazy high.

I do weigh my food lately, at least the stuff that doesn't have a barcode. I'm opening my diary now, so ya'll can see how much chocolate I eat and whiskey I drink. I do know I have been going over a lot lately, no excuses there, but since my calculation was apparently "wrong" in the first place it shouldn't have mattered, right?

Replies

• Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    You should be weighing food with a barcode as well since packaged weight is usually higher than the serving size listed.

ETA: I looked at your diary and your logging seems off. Some partially logged days, most days you eat back all your exercise calories and some seem overinflated, I saw the 2000 calorie quick add binge day you logged with language putting yourself down as well. As far as the "wrong" calculation, make sure MFP didn't change the amount you're aiming to lose per week. Either way, I think if you log as accurately as humanly possible and switch to eating 50% of your exercise calories, you will start losing again.

What is your activity level set to on MFP? Do you have negative adjustments enabled for your Garmin?
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Maybe you are overestimating your activity level? Go back into MFP "Goals" heading and Recalculate at your current height, weight, and enter in one step lower than your current activity level. Then if you are losing weight too quickly or find it too difficult you can always add a bit of calories. It is normal to have stalls for a bit. But I understand how demoralizing it is to be on a plateau when you work so hard to lose weight.
  • Pocket__Cthulhu
    Pocket__Cthulhu Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    My activity level is set to Active (mailman, waitress.) I work at an airport and my steps on my garmin always reaches at least 5 miles walking in an 8 hour shift, but hey...worth a shot to lower it.

As for the Garmin, I'm not even sure what negative adjustments are?
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    My activity level is set to Active (mailman, waitress.) I work at an airport and my steps on my garmin always reaches at least 5 miles walking in an 8 hour shift, but hey...worth a shot to lower it.

As for the Garmin, I'm not even sure what negative adjustments are?

Negative adjustments is a diary setting on MFP that allows MFP to take away calories if your Garmin calorie burn doesn't meet MFP's estimated calorie burn for your activity level.
  • Pocket__Cthulhu
    Options
    Alright, thank you.

Also, changing the activity level put me right back to 1570. So, going back to my original question: Should I change it to something lower or just stick with that budget?
  • fwitsend1277
    fwitsend1277 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Stick with it but log accurately weighing everything. The weight will start to move.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    If you are stuck at a plateau currently, adding calories probably isn't going to help you to start losing again... I think you might be overestimating your calories burned from exercise, too.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    The major sources of error, in my experience, are as follows:

1. Underestimating calories consumed, which can happen even if you weigh food (e.g., using incorrect database entries). One study showed that people who counted calories missed about 400 calories a day, and even registered dietitians, who should know better, missed nearly 200 calories a day.

2. Overestimating exercise calories burned. MFP's database is notorious for that. I burn about 500 calories an hour bicycling at 16-18 mph; MFP estimates around 800, which is 60% higher! Exercise machines also tend to inflate calorie burns. When I use stationary bikes at hotels, the figures they give me are even more ridiculous.

3. Overestimating daily non-exercise activity. This is tricky because some research suggests that the more we exercise, the less active we are the rest of the time. We fidget less, get up and move around less, etc.

I'd suggest careful weighing, even of packaged, labeled food (my so-called "100-calorie" Fiber One English muffins are really 110-130 calories each by weight), a reality check on exercise calories, and possibly reducing your activity level—you have an active job, but perhaps you're more efficient moving around than the typical person.

Good luck!
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    Stick with 1570 for a bit longer. Sometimes the body holds onto water during a stall even though you are actually burning fat. For instsnce, if you've gone through a stressful situation or career change etc your body sometimes produces stress hormones that can cause water retention. You will likely see a whoosh of a couple pounds water weight drop off soon.
  • Pocket__Cthulhu
    Options
    Thank you for all the responses! It's good advice, and hopefully it's as simple as what ya'll are describing. I appreciate your time!