What Bad Habits Have You Kicked?

Options
13»

Replies

• ldyjenny7
    ldyjenny7 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have given up all soda's. this was causing massive inflammation and bloating and not allowing me to lose weight.
  • thistimewillbedifferent
    Options
    (1) Diet Coke (used to have 6-8 a day)

(2) Random TV surfing (used to come home tired from work, plop on sofa, and turn on TV to see what was on...next thing you know I had been watching crap programs that I didn't even care about for three hours)

(3) Online spider solitaire (used to play one game to clear my head, lose, then say "I'll just play again until I win"...but that would take a LONG time

(4) Going to the little convenience shop at work and buying a Reese's peanut butter cup...every single day.

(5) Eating an entire order of 10 pieces of sushi in one sitting.

(6) Not pre-planning my meals and pre-prepping my food in advance, which resulted in coming home from work tired and either getting unhealthy takeout choices or making nachos

(7) Not logging my food intake consistently -- I used to stop logging for weeks at a time when I was off track

(8) Being completely sedentary

(9) Eating the local version of cheese quiche on a regular basis (as in more than once a week)

You get the picture. It wasn't pretty. Am soooooooooooooooo glad I decided it was time to make some genuine changes! Haven't done any of the above except for #5 in 2013, and even that one happened only once.
  • vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I have nearly kicked the habit of eating well past being full. Now and again, it will still happen, but I am much more conscious of the volume of food consumed now -- this is w/o considering calories. :bigsmile:
  • lomajo17
    lomajo17 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    1.Not eating enough for breakfast.
    2.Focusing solely on the number on the scale-NOT a good look if you also happen to be strength training!
    3.Those delicious, whipped creamy ice dreamy 600 calorie drinks at the coffee shop. Now it's one iced coffee in the morning.
    4. Going out to lunch. Calorie controllable but VERY expensive!
    5. Listening to people that are focused on their unrealized fitness goals.
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I've kicked soda and sweet tea, fast food and daily eating out. I'm also kicking the sedentary lifestyle out of my life. It's all good.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    1. Beating myself up and feeling guilty/ashamed about eating certain foods, or too much food, or just eating in general. I still eat too much sometimes, and am still an emotional eater sometimes, but feeling guilty about it served no useful purpose whatsoever.

2. Having a couple of slices of bread and butter while I'm making lunch (e.g. a sandwich) and then a few more slices of bread and butter while I'm making dinner. :blushing: I've always had funny little habits/routines with food, different ones over the years. Certain foods I would eat every day, or on a certain day every week. I still do, but I'm conscious of what I'm taking in now.

3. Having far too large portions of cereal, pasta, cheese etc. Actually, this wasn't so much a bad habit as just ignorance of the appropriate portion sizes for my energy needs. I might still have a larger portion than the "recommended" amount, depending on how hungry I am and how many calories I'm working with, but I don't just keep pouring til the bowl is full.

4. Being inactive.
  • dellaquilaa
    dellaquilaa Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating 3-4 portions (of whatever) at one sitting!

Now I measure my food if I'm unsure of the correct portion size, and if I do eat 2 servings (like 4 Fig Newtons instead of 2!), I count them properly :)
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I used to pretty much only eat refined carbs. Now I make at least half of my grains whole grains.
    I also used to be scared of fat. Now I realize that healthy fats actually help me lose weight because they keep me full for longer.
    And of course kicked the inactivity out the window.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Smoking. I still want cigarettes. I purposely walk by employees smoking outside just to inhale the scent. I'm a f***ing junkie.
  • adrylong
    adrylong Posts: 29
    Options
    Kicked the soda habit.
    Trying to limit my wine intake