Venting - Clothes Sizes

Options
Since my newsfeed is down and I can't whine to my friends I'll whine to the world. :ohwell:

I REALLY want some cute new summery work pants since it is starting to get warm around here but I REFUSE to buy the same size or larger pants I wore a year or 2 ago. I was hoping once I hit 50 lbs lost I would finally be able to go down a size, but that's taking forever to happen and the closer I get the clearer it is I'll still be wearing the same size pants well beyond that. It's no fair!!! I want to go shopping and buy cute new summer clothes!! :sad:

On the other hand I'm really glad I bought some well fitting summer clothes a couple years back because they still fit perfectly and it saves me money I guess.

Replies

• PamGeirng
    PamGeirng Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    What I have lost 40 pounds and went from a 16 to a 4/6. How can that be?
  • lizamarie9878
    lizamarie9878 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere once that clothing sizes change by almost half an inch every year. I feel your pain! I've got some jeans that I've had for probably 10 years. They were once my favorite pair and I have good memories around them, so they have been one of my goals. I've gone down almost 2 sizes, currently wearing the size they are, but they are no where near fitting me yet. I know it's because the size on them is so outdated now.
    50lbs is awesome, I'm sure you are just hitting the same issue I am. Let's blame it on the clothing designers! :)
  • kosuke081
    kosuke081 Posts: 69
    Options
    Clothing size is just a number. I wear anywhere from a 12-16 depending on the brand. I have some size 14 pants that I can pull off without unbuttoning them, and a size 16 skirt that's tight on me. Really, don't worry about the number. I'm sure you've lost a pant size or 80 :). Go buy some cute clothes and rock it!
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Well, the bigger/taller you are the more it takes to move through the sizes, from what I've heard anyway. For example I'm 'short' at 5'3" and I wasn't overly big to begin with (size 8, pushing into a 10) but ten pounds lighter and I am comfortably into a six. I'm short so any loss or gain is very noticeable on me.

Either way I wouldn't stress. You've lost 50 pounds and that success is what you should focus on.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I've only lost 37 - not 50 yet... I just for some reason had it in my head that I'd finally lose a size at 50, but I'm not thinking there's any way that could possibly ever happen at this point. Maybe by NEXT summer I can go shopping!
  • finallyhappytobeme
    Options
    I think we women get so focused on numbers. How much we weigh, the size of pants we are wearing. You've done an amazing thing by losing as much weight as you have. Be happy with the body you now have and dress it up. Buy those new pants and strut you're stuff. Feeling confident in how you look now will make a huge difference in how you feel and how others react to you. Congrats on the weight loss. Keep working, you can do this!!
  • dlrosen
    dlrosen Posts: 51
    Options
    Depends on the body type. I have lost 40 pounds and went from a 13/14 to a 9/10. My booty is the last place that weight comes off of lol

Ready2Roch206: Don't focus on your pant size! Congrats on your weight loss
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Use the size as a guideline... not a goal... seriously, I wear anything from a 10-16... As long as they fit and make you look and feel good, what does the size really matter? It's never accurate anyway... unless maybe you are sewing them yourself.
  • crisbabe81
    crisbabe81 Posts: 170
    Options
    I'm a shortie, 5'3.. I think everyone loses weight diffrently. I've lost 35 pretty evenly so it's taking time to drop sizes. I was a tight 18, and now a comfortable 14... I didn't get into the 16's until I it 20lb loss, and just very recently fit into the 14's. It'll happen.. And when it does you'll be doing the happy dance.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I only just last week got rid of my size 26 and 28 pants. After losing 109 pounds I was still wearing the same size! Granted they were big.. I'm now in a size 20 and they are TIGHT... really should be a 22 but I refuse to buy any because the 20's will fit soon enough and besides, sitting and breathing are overrated anyway!. The problem is there is a large difference between sizes when you're in plus size clothes... My thin sister can lose/gain five pounds and it puts her into a different size but when you're in the larger sizes it takes a 40+ pound difference. Also my weight is evenly distributed throughout my body. If I just had a huge belly and very little to lose in my legs, then all 109 of those pounds would have come off my belly and I'd have gone down more sizes but since my weight is coming off of everywhere the size change isn't as drastic. Make sense?

And congrats on the 37 pounds!
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I lost from the top down and needed new bras before I could go down a pants size. It took around 25 pounds to go from size 14 to size 12, and then another 33 pounds to go all the way down to 2s and 4s.
  • blt0087
    blt0087 Posts: 115
    Options
    and besides, sitting and breathing are overrated anyway!

:laugh: I feel the same way about a dress of mine. It looks great when I'm standing up, but lord help me if I try to sit down!
  • cenafan
    cenafan Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    it's amazing how different we all are!

I've lost almost 70 and gone from a 26w to a 16.

shopping has been much more fun this season!
  • gmmendenhall
    gmmendenhall Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    So funny! I was just venting about clothing sizes being so off. I have lost 1 1/2 sizes in jeans from a tight size 10 to a loose size 8 after 17 pounds. I have this beautiful pair of size four jeans that I WILL fit into. Maybe not before school starts back up the middle of August like I had hoped, but by Thanksgiving is my new goal. Keep at it and be proud of what you've done.