Consuming Protein Drink after strength training or Cardio?

Options
Hey all,
I've started to take Protein Drink (mixed in water) to help me with the fat loss goals I've set. Normally, my work out regimen follows cardio(15-20 mins)-strength training(20-30 mins)-cardio(12-15 mins). I'm confused as to where I'm supposed to consume the protein drink - immediately after the strength traning session or after the final cardio?
What's the better method?
How can I modify my workout schedule to maximise the fat-loss effects.

Replies

• Wombat468
    Wombat468 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    It won't make any difference when you drink it - just have it on the same day as you work out.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    I'd personally do it at the end - not because of any muscle gain / weight loss benefits, which won't make a difference, but just because I know my digestive system will better tolerate it if I wait until the workout is over. Anything I'm drinking during a workout is going to be either noncaloric, or simple sugar only. I'll wait until after I've cooled down to take in any food requiring more of my digestive system.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I drink mine about an hour after my workout simply because I work out at 5:30am and have to rush home, shower, get the kiddo to school and me to work. I don't have time to drink it before that. I've also read that the timing doesn't matter unless you're a competitive body builder and are working out 2-3 times a day.
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter when or if you drink it.
    If your goal is fat loss, look into high intensity interval training and lifting heavy. They are the most helpful forms of exercise for your goal.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Track it and make sure it fits into your goals. It's easy to get too much protein if you use a supplement and are a heavy meat eater. Protein shakes aren't necessary.