Alternatives to water?`

Options
Hi everyone!
I am new here and excited to start this journey.
One of my problems is that I HATE water. Crazy, right? I try to force some down, but it is painful. I've been drinking the Sparkling Ice drinks, which advertise themselves as "naturally flavored sparkling mountain spring water". Is this a good alternative? Anyone have any other suggestions? Propel?
Thanks in advance!

Replies

• kosuke081
    kosuke081 Posts: 69
    Options
    I had to work myself back into plain water. It took some time, while on the way I did sugar free on the go packets (Like crystal light, but the off brands). Plain water is still best, but adding flavor helped me get used to it again.

Also, if you put some fruit slices into the water, that can help a lot. I like adding strawberry slices and orange slices. You don't have to add sugar with them.

Hope this helps!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    You can put fruit, herbs (such as mint), or vegetables like cucumber in your water... many people like the crystal light packets, or mio (I personally don't like), or other water flavor enhancers.... but I find that when I do any of these I eventually revert back to soda.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    That is the ultimate first world problem. You're not going to get much support on it. Just drink the water. As an adult you don't always get to do things you like. It's required for life.

Good luck OP :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • DoctorCheeba
    Options
    I used to only drink Ice Tea and juice so I had this problem too... now I basically only drink plain water.
    But the best thing to do is add MIO (0 cal, liquid water enhancer), they have great tasting flavours. My favourite are Fruit Punch, Lemonade and Berry blast. Crystal light is a great one too, I never like the taste very much though.

And if that still doesn't do it for you, try low calorie Gaterade (usually 40 cal per bottle, which is pretty damn good). Awesome stuff!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    That is the ultimate first world problem. You're not going to get much support on it. Just drink the water. As an adult you don't always get to do things you like. It's required for life.

^This
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options

Absolutely!!! How bad do you really want to loose weight?
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Anything that's wet.
  • SkepticallyFit
    Options
    Have you tried bath water?

Okay, serious answer. Try drinking tea. I have tea time twice a day and that just adds to my water intake. It also provides a much needed crack... I mean caffeine boost.
  • jakesfitness
    jakesfitness Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    umm... Lemon... water???
  • crandos
    crandos Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    ^^ Yea put some lime or lemon along with water give it bit of flavour.
  • aliceb39
    aliceb39 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I don't really like the flavored waters, though a little fruit (orange or watermelon are nice) is OK. Do you drink water when you're at a restaurant? If so, you may find that you'll drink more water if it's ice cold. That's what I figured out for myself. I use an insulated Tupperware tumbler at home (24 oz), fill it with 16 oz water and the rest with ice, and go through 2 or 3 at home after work. At work, we have a cold water dispenser, but as soon as the water drops to room temp, I stop drinking it, so I put ice in my work sports bottle. I have a pop-up on my computer calendar at work, telling me every 10 minutes to drink some water. That was very useful when I first started trying to drink more. Good luck to you!
  • GTAFrank
    GTAFrank Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I used to only drink Ice Tea and juice so I had this problem too... now I basically only drink plain water.
    But the best thing to do is add MIO (0 cal, liquid water enhancer), they have great tasting flavours. My favourite are Fruit Punch, Lemonade and Berry blast. Crystal light is a great one too, I never like the taste very much though.

And if that still doesn't do it for you, try low calorie Gaterade (usually 40 cal per bottle, which is pretty damn good). Awesome stuff!

Wait? Lemonade MIO?? Where?!! Love that stuff.
  • lynnmc40
    lynnmc40 Posts: 8
    Options
    Thanks for the replies!
    well, I lost 33 lbs. 5 years ago without drinking plain water. But now I am 5 years older, and the weight just isn't coming off. I was drinking the MIO until my cleaning person told me it was one element away from what she uses to wash my floors. Then I went to Crystal Light ice tea. Which I liked, but drank so much of it I can't even look at it now. So now I am on the Sparkling Ice. It says it has vitamins and antioxidants too. This has got to be better than the diet coke I love, right?!
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options

#bestreplyever hundreds of thousands of people around the world don't have access to clean drinking water. Suck it up buttercup!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    beer
  • BHKLEIN
    BHKLEIN Posts: 104
    Options
    They have flavored powders that you can add to water. Check out the juice aisle usually by the kool-aide. They are really low in cals and give you lots of choices.
  • ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    Options

I don't think you travel very much, bro. I've travelled a lot, and in some places I'm more afraid of drinking the local water than anything else.
  • Cmclow84
    Cmclow84 Posts: 10
    Options
    Water itself...Mio and all those other water flavors have additives that can actually cause severe depression. DRINK THE WATER!
  • klaff411
    klaff411 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what your problem is.

Your brain is addicted to the stimuli you get from alternative beverages (e.g. sugar and carbs). You will have to retrain your brain. This is part of what I call: induction. Its the hardest part of starting a change in lifestyle. I chose a hard regime which was pure keto. But I've found a great deal of success with that approach in starting out. But induction is a universal for any major diet. After 4 weeks I've found its a breeze. But the first month was incredibly difficult.

The hard truth is there is no way around it. Your going to have to exercise self-discipline and force yourself to drink at least 8 glasses of water per day. Do not use additives. Water is part of cleaning mechanism your kidneys use to flush toxins which is extra important in the beginning. Its also going to help you lose water weight. I know that sounds counter intuitive but since your body knows that water is plentiful it stops storing it. You will pee it all out! Yay.

But you won't lose any considerable fat until 1) you burn all the excess crap (sugar and fat) in your liver with 2) a considerable caloric deficit and 3) start drinking water.

Coffee is fine but beware of milk and other additives -- about 80 calories + sometimes. Stay away from juices ...Gatorade is great if your a 200 lb weight lifter. But its just empty carbs/calories for most people. Soda is the worst thing you can do to yourself. It increases your appetite. Diet coke is a diuretic that will dehydrate you and exacerbate the problem. Seltzer is fine. I drink lots of it because I like the carbonation. After I work out, I usually have a scoop of protein in my water to recover myself. Its a great way to kill those after workout munchies.

I hope that you give it a try! Good luck.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    One of my problems is that I HATE water. Crazy, right?

maybe, but you're not alone. there are tons of you lunatics here.

hello-friend-you-should-drink-more-water.jpeg