Trying to gain more muscle and cutting down fat to look leaner and bigger

Options
Worked out for about 2 years, I was 55kg and not I am 75kg I would like to put on mass but would like to be toned but I do not want to be overly big. I current have 24% of fat and I am 6ft tall. Any advice?

Also in need of friends on this app so my time line doesn't look so boring :)

Replies

• Toysoldiers111
    Toysoldiers111 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Am in the correct group?
  • xHarrySims
    xHarrySims Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You don't gain and cut at the same time. You go on a bulk, eat everything in sight and workout 5/6 days a week to gain as much muscle as possible for around 3/6 months. Then cut down any fat with intermittent fasting or cutting diet. You can't gain and cut efficiently
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Cut down to 10-12% bodyfat, then start a slow bulk.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Worked out for about 2 years, I was 55kg and not I am 75kg I would like to put on mass but would like to be toned but I do not want to be overly big. I current have 24% of fat and I am 6ft tall. Any advice?

Pick one or the other....can't do both unless you are on 'gear'

If you are 24% BF, I would suggest cutting back at this point.
  • Toysoldiers111
    Options
    You guys are awesome, I need this type of advise, I should have joined earlier! Hope you guys can help me out since I am kind of new to all of this.
  • Toysoldiers111
    Options
    I'm just using pre-work out atm, creatine on my days off and protein shakes. I'm now trying to monitor how much I eat.
  • Toysoldiers111
    Options
    I feel like I am getting bigger, but I guess I will have to bulk so I can push more then maintain the strength while cutting?
  • Toysoldiers111
    edited May 2016
    Options
    MityMax96 wrote: »

Cutting back as in slim down more? Im not really that big tho. I would post a picture but can't seem to find one to post one up here.
  • Toysoldiers111
    Options
    pbryd wrote: »

I guess your way is different to xharryslims way of doing it then
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options

Same basic thing but told from different starting points.

Because your bodyfat is already high, you should consider cutting first. If you bulk now, you'll only end up fatter.
  • Toysoldiers111
    Options

Same basic thing but told from different starting points.

Because your bodyfat is already high, you should consider cutting first. If you bulk now, you'll only end up fatter.

Thanks for sending me in the right direction and I shall know where to look for information. Should I be lifting till I fail still if I am cutting back?
  • xHarrySims
    xHarrySims Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm just using pre-work out atm, creatine on my days off and protein shakes. I'm now trying to monitor how much I eat.
    Come off the creatine now as your are going to be cutting
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    MityMax96 wrote: »

Cutting back as in slim down more? Im not really that big tho. I would post a picture but can't seem to find one to post one up here.

Correct.
    Cut down some, and drop weight.
    Assuming you are at 24% Body fat, that is very high, and shows a very bad ratio muscle/fat....which will only get worse if you continue to eat in a surplus/bulk.

Since you need to cut back, eat less calories, I would suggest try to get your calories and macros from food vs. protein drinks.
  • mreichard
    mreichard Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Not to hijack the thread, but why no creatine when cutting? I'm trying to lose weight and I just started sl5x5 like a month ago. Yesterday, I read that vegetarians (I am one) and guys over 50 (I'm 49) should definitely take creatine, so I bought some. Is it just because of the water retention?
  • Toysoldiers111
    Options
    mreichard wrote: »
    Not to hijack the thread, but why no creatine when cutting? I'm trying to lose weight and I just started sl5x5 like a month ago. Yesterday, I read that vegetarians (I am one) and guys over 50 (I'm 49) should definitely take creatine, so I bought some. Is it just because of the water retention?

Feel free to open your opinions
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    If you are 24% you would want to cut. Images below for a visual comparison to where you are at right now.

This article is a good read.
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/initial-body-fat-and-body-composition-changes.html
    "If you’re above 15% body fat (about 24-27% for women), diet first. If you can get to the 10-12% (19-24%) body fat range or so, I think you’ll be in an overall better position to gain mass."

body-fat-percentage-men.jpg
  • Toysoldiers111
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »
    If you are 24% you would want to cut. Images below for a visual comparison to where you are at right now.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/initial-body-fat-and-body-composition-changes.html
    "If you’re above 15% body fat (about 24-27% for women), diet first. If you can get to the 10-12% (19-24%) body fat range or so, I think you’ll be in an overall better position to gain mass."

Thanks guys you all are so friendly here!
  • Toysoldiers111
    edited May 2016
    Options

Thanks guys you all are so friendly here!

Would I need to change my workout at all while cutting fat, or carry on with my routines?

Would I need to change my workout at all while cutting fat, or carry on with my routines?
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    As long as you are following a structured program you wouldn't need to change it. If you are looking for something new: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • codsterlaing95
    codsterlaing95 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Cut down to at least 15% and then slow bulk again. 10-12% is more ideal, though.