Calories upped in mfp

Options
ereckless82
ereckless82 Posts: 85 Member
edited May 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I recently changed my profile to only lose .5lb per week because I'm roughly 15lbs away from goal. I was eating 1300-1500 for a while, then upped to 1500-1650. Now I'm at 1880 without exercise obviously. I train 6 days a week (3 days weight training with a little cardio and then things like kickboxing, spinning, lower body workouts the other days). I don't eat my exercise calories back because I never know how truly accurate my Garmin with chest strap has been. Some days I am a little hungrier, so I do eat a little more but never even close to all of the calories I burned for the day.

Anyway, I've been stuck at a pretty large plateau (and even a slight gain of a few pounds) while going through these calories bumps. How long should it take for your body to adjust and start back to losing? I know every body is different, and there are other factors, but with starting weight training a couple of weeks ago (and adding much much more protein plus bcaas to my diet) I feel like things should've started moving at least a little bit.

Replies

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh all your foods? If not, you could easily be eating more than you think. The closer you get to your goal weight, the narrower the margin for error becomes.

Here's a chart that may give you a few ideas:

6ib1skozipcj.jpg
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    The last pounds are stubborn sometimes.

Why is the reason for adding a significant amount of extra protien?
  • ereckless82
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Yes. I use an oxo food scale for everything (have been for years). I've seen this chart before. It's a good one. I just seem to be in some weird state of flux. I did get blood work done by my dr a couple of weeks ago and I am still waiting for the results. I know if I lowered my calories back down to 1300-1500 I would drop weight again, but that calorie number is much much too low for me now given all of the exercise and training that I do. Just curious what the average amount of time someone in this kind of situation should start seeing results on the scale. I do take measurements as well, but not as often as I weigh myself.
  • ereckless82
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    The last pounds are stubborn sometimes.

Why is the reason for adding a significant amount of extra protien?

I started weight training with a personal trainer because things weren't moving. I had always done cardio workouts with strength training and body resistance, but he has me trying to take a few days a week to really focus on muscle building. Nothing terribly crazy though. More for toning and leaning. Muscle burns more fat at rest, but when you building muscle the process makes our bodies retain water to aid in the recovery of our Muscles. This is why I started upping my protein (mostly via food and very little via whey protein powder) and bcaas.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    You having added weight training to your exercise regime could mean you're temporarily retaining water for muscle repair. I'd suggest you keep doing what you're doing for a while longer.

Has your bloodwork included thyroid function tests?
  • ereckless82
    Options
    You having added weight training to your exercise regime could mean you're temporarily retaining water for muscle repair. I'd suggest you keep doing what you're doing for a while longer.

Has your bloodwork included thyroid function tests?

Totally agree! Although I was going through this before I started the weight training, I think it's kind of a double whammy right now. Upping calories + weight training = frustration city. lol

It did. I have to call them tomorrow because it should not be taking this long for the results to be reviewed by my doctor. She did a panel with thyroid, cholesterol, hormone levels, etc.